napoleonic strategy game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by smuttlegiaco, Dec 7, 2010.

1. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    i'm a history buff and i've been playing napoleonic (war-)games all of my (computerized-)life. my friend and i currently develop a fantasy tactics game, but once this is finished I would love to do some napoleonic themed game.

i just want to ask if there are people here, who would welcome these sort of games (either turn-based or real-time strategy) become realized as an iphone/ipad app?

would you like only famous battles? grand campaigns? more political stuff? what would you like to see?

2. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    OMG YES EVERYTHING!!

I personally would like something along the lines of a Total War game, or perhaps something along the lines of Cossacks.

I definitely would prefer Real-Time (at least for battles)

In direct response to your question, I want everything that you can make, just preferably real-time (excluding a total war-like setup) :)

3. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    all of this.

well, except for the 'only'

in real time.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Sounds fantastic, though I'd prefer turn-based. ;)

5. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Yes, I would love to see anything historical. Something like Romance of the Three Kingdoms (but feel free to simplify it if need be) and set in one of the many fascinating Western-European conflicts of history would be amazing. I am partial to Roman history, (how awesome would a game based on the Punic Wars be?) but the Napoleonic era would be pretty cool if you prefer that...maybe include some historical reading in there for those of us who aren't as familiar with the period :eek:...Or even the First World War would be amazing. I would personally love to see something about the Ostfront too, but I know that's probably still not the most popular thing to take on...Still, as a history fan I would love anything in depth and historical. The Greek-Persian wars, the Crusades or anything with the Byzantines, Normans, Vikings, or Steppe nations such as the Huns or Mongolians...all of that would be so cool to see in a game.

And...I much prefer turn-based strategy, myself.

6. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    ok two "real-timers" and two "turn-basers" (apologies for these awful word creations :) ). I usually prefer turn-based games also, but the occassional real time hectic thrill can be nice too.

as to other historical periods: roman history is another favorite of mine, but as you said medianotzu, every period has its fascinating aspects. nothing is sure at the moment, so we'll see what we decide on.

if you're interested in napoleonic warfare and you got a little bit of money to spare, buy this book...i love it. :)

7. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Looks awesome, but out-of-print...and I can buy a lot of iPhone games for that $99...mmmm...but I will keep on the lookout, you never know what can turn up in yardsales or used book stores.

Incidentally, I might pick up War & Peace again, but I could do with an edited "war only" edition.

8. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Please, no RTSs. As much as I prefer them on the computer, you just can't beat a good TBS on the iPhone.

9. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Sounds awesome! Count me in as another who prefers turn-based on the iPhone.

10. 7h30n

7h30n Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Excellent idea. I really like complex historic turn-based strategies!

11. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just a heads up, I was thinking about the iPad. Much more suited to RTSs than the iPhone.

But I think a Total War type game could be the best of both worlds.

12. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    This would be really cool. I would prefer a total war-like game but if forced to choose on or the other definitely go turn-based. It allows for so much more depth.

13. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    what about a mix? you plan the battle in phases, as does the AI/other player and once the phase is finished the battle begins and your units act as you ordered them to. to make it more thrilling you can change the orders of units (command point system) realtime, if a general or leader is attached to your unit (or is in range of a unit). the command structure of the napoleonic area would support this approach nicely.

14. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    That sounds really good actually, and would fit more in terms of realism, as a general would not be able to instantaneously control troops in the heat of battle anyway.