IDEA: Universal Games for Mac

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Curleh Mustache, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Curleh Mustache

Curleh Mustache Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    I was thinking Since we have apps on the AppStore that are universally compatible (i.e, .Not having to buy a seperate HD version for iPads) with iPhone/iPod Touch/ iPad, Why not include Mac as well. Think about it for a little bit. Instead of having to buy a seperate Mac version of ,say, N.O.V.A, you'll not only have a Version that works for the Mac but a Version that also works on your iTouches/ iPhones/iPads. Let's not forget Universal multiplayer. Imagine you and a friend playing N.O.V.A Multiplayer. One of you is playing on an iPad while the other is playing against you on a Mac.

Any Comments or Criticisms?

2. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    The major problem with this is the graphics, with good enough graphics for a mac it would easily take well over 1 gig probably at least a couple which is just a bad idea on a mobile device. Because in a universal version it has all the stuff for all devices thats why the filesizes are a lot bigger.

3. Curleh Mustache

Curleh Mustache Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    #3 Curleh Mustache, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
    Hmm, Never really thought about that.

EDIT: But, Maybe this could work with future indie games. Take a look at the file sizes for Super Mega worm on iPods and Macs. Super Mega Worm (Mac): 8.9 MB. Super Mega Worm(iOS): 14.2 MB

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It would definitely bump up the filesizes which devs don't really want to do, but not into the GBs. That would be a different game altogether.

5. lomaelli

lomaelli Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    This is what i'm thinking of too.

6. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah I might have exaggerated a little, but I'm with gameloft games it might happen. Either way it would be a much bigger file size.