More Toast/Pizza/Cupcakes..

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by d1, Mar 9, 2010.

1. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I still fail to understand how these apps do so well..I mean sure its a novel idea, but I can't believe how many people buy/enjoy them. Its beyond me.

2. Austin:]

Austin:] Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I totally agree with you:cool:

3. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I hate how the Top 50 in the App Store is cluttered with useless apps like More Toast/Pizza/Cupcakes.

4. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I know..I just don't understand it..I've looked at the screenshots..I've read reviews..I've tried my best to understand what the appeal is. I haven't made any progress. Lol

5. iphonegamerblog

iphonegamerblog Active Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Marketing
    Indianapolis
    Is it women buying these things? Anyone here actually play one of them? Maybe it's kids. So many apps are in the top 50 because of the overwhelming child demographic for iPod Touch users. I wish the App Store had a top 50 for iPhones and a separate top 50 for iPod Touch. I think we would see a tremendous amount of differences.

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I know for a fact my little brother wouldn't find putting topping on toast very riveting.

7. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Wow, some more stereotyping would be appreciated.

8. cathy

cathy Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Those apps are awesome. Well I only have More Toast though. I thought they were stupid at first too but one obscure virtual food app went free a while ago and it got me absolutely hooked. Don't knock it til you try it! Then again, I am a girl...

9. iphonegamerblog

iphonegamerblog Active Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Marketing
    Indianapolis
    #9 iphonegamerblog, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    Not stereotypes in this case, facts. At least when it comes to the youth demographic. - These numbers come from Ad Mob's demographic research.

94% of iPhone owners are over the age of 18 and an astounding 74% of them are over the age of 25. On the other hand, the iPod Touch user base is nearly HALF (47%) composed of 13-17 year olds. Only 31% of its users are over the age of 25.

10. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, I own and enjoy more toast. It is really good for what it is, there is a ton of customization (like 15 things to toast, multiple toasters, multiple plates, etc) and like 50+ topping

11. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    I like to make toast when I'm wasted... lol

It's ummm entertaining for .25 seconds :rolleyes:

12. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    I have More Toast, and More Cupcakes. I thought they'd be stupid too, but they're actually really enjoyable. I literally almost licked my Touch's screen.

13. gmatom

gmatom Well-Known Member

Just noticed this thread. As the developer, I'm as surprised by Cupcakes!, Toast and Pizza's success as anyone. Although I'm not complaining :)

They are definitely targeted at kids, and iPod Touch users are probably 70-80% of my user base. It does skew more towards girls as well (60%+), which was what I was aiming at when I designed them.

While I'll be the first to admit they are somewhat silly apps, I spend quite a lot of time trying to balance simplicity and fun, giving enough options to make them not boring but not overwhelming often younger users (I get emails from parents that use Toast or Cupcakes with 3 or 4 year olds to entertain them). And I've put a ton of effort into reading user reviews & emails, taking suggestions and doing lots of updates with new content and features (More Toast just had its 24th update, and all but one of those were purely adding new features, not just minor bug fixes).

There also is something just oddly entertaining/addictive about the apps. I wrote them am still not sure what exact combination I hit on, but I know if I still laugh when I'm playing with a new Toast version after I've been developing updates for over a year, something must be right.

They definitely aren't everyone's cup of tea, and that's OK. There is room enough in the store for all kinds of games.

Glenda