Need a bit of feedback on our control system

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by genzod04, Jun 23, 2014.

1. genzod04

genzod04 Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Artist and Game Designer
    United Kingdom
    Hi, we at Sock Monkey Studios have finished our latest game: Soccer Monkey and it is now available on Google Play.

We have had a bit of feedback on the controls, primarily the way the monkey runs in the game. I took the game to a couple of shows and networking events and people found it difficult to get the monkey running. It takes a little perseverance to get used to the controls, its basically:

• Tap or hold the arrows left or right to sidestep
    • Tap and hold to run.
    • The player can tap anywhere in the middle of the screen to perform a 'Bicycle Kick'. We also added a specific button as we found players wanted a button to tap to perform the move.
    • The only other move in the game is a 'Power Header' which is performed by timing your run onto the ball, its quite satisfying when pulled off!

A bar at the top of the screen fills up as the player scores quickly, when filled it activates 'Goldenballs' which does exactly what it says on the tin. This enables gold balls to fly in, which gives the player more points per goal scored, before the bar empties.

It would be great to get peoples feedback on the controls, or suggestions on how better to explain them. There is a tutorial in-game which shows players the controls, but it might be a case of turning this into a training prologue they play through, a sort of practice area. It is very easy to pick up and once the controls click they become second nature. We have toyed with putting in an analogue stick control but it has proven to be less accurate than on-screen buttons. If anyone could take a look and we could get some suggestions or feedback from the community that would be great, here is the Google Play link, iOS is coming soon:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.sockmonkeystudios.soccermonkey

Attached Files:

2. genzod04

genzod04 Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Artist and Game Designer
    United Kingdom
    Gameplay Video for Soccer Monkey

Here is a little video we put together, which shows the game play off a bit better.

http://youtu.be/P3M5VBQz8ic

3. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Looks very cute, but I'd trust the feedback you've already gotten on current control scheme.

If people at shows are finding it "difficult to get the monkey running" and it "takes a little perseverance to get used to the controls" what do you think will happen when casual players get their hands on it?

Have you tried doing away with the arrows altogether, and just using swipe controls?

4. genzod04

genzod04 Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Artist and Game Designer
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the response Stroffolino, we did try swipe controls but they were pretty inaccurate. The current controls work really well, the thing is it takes a few goes for them to 'click' with the player. Once the player gets the hang of the run they are like, yeah this is really good.

Players we have shown it to have a real range of scores from 1 goal to 100+ it really does take decent hand eye coordination, timing and a bit of skill to be good at the game. This aspect I am quite pleased with as most games I have played on mobile offer very little challenge.

Hopefully it will be out on iOS soon , I think we are setting a new world record, in terms of the amount of time its been in submission with the game.

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    How long is submission taking for you? Hope it doesn't get rejected for something small!

6. genzod04

genzod04 Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Artist and Game Designer
    United Kingdom
    The game has been in submission now for about a month, it failed once due to an issue with Unity and iOS 7, so we resubmitted. We have put a lot of hard work and effort into the game and I am sure like everyone else that develops an app, would just like to see it out as quickly as possible on the App Store. Hopefully we will get there soon!

7. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    That is certainly a while only a couple of days ago my recent update to Thinkspace AR got approved after 7 days, which i thought was a bit slow!

8. genzod04

genzod04 Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Artist and Game Designer
    United Kingdom
    Soccer Monkey is finally on the App Store!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/soccer-monkey/id882227175?mt=8

The issue was a Unity/Test Flight problem, which has unfortunately kept the game in submission, and not out in time for the start of the World Cup.

But it's just one of those things you have to deal with in the world of indie app dev, I guess! We just have to work harder to get the game out there now, but so happy it's finally out though!!