Are there enough games that I like coming out?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Xapped, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Recently, it seems like there isn't much new interesting games coming out. TouchArcade forums are filled with games posted by developers with something like 10 posts, there hasn't being any new Gameloft game for a while, nor Kariosoft. Developers like EA used to make good games like SimCity, Dead Space, etc but now they just make free2play games. Lots of developers have sort of died out, and there is less activity on TA forums. Just look at how much posts Eliminate thread has.

Is it just me or is iOS gaming dying out?

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    No, it has exploded. There is a lot more junk than ever, and a sad swing toward freemium, but there are also more top notch games than ever coming out. I don't think its necessarily moving in the direction most serious gamers would want, and it may always be dominated by the casual and freemium, but there are awesome games coming out regularly enough to keep me interested. Also, to touch on your examples, Kairosoft still releases games regularly and has a new one coming out any day. EA just released a not free to play mobile version of a huge console franchise. Gameloft is dead. They will never release anything but garbage ever again, but that's okay, plenty of other developers are out there to full their shoes.

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I wouldn't say it's dying but I do think a lot of the freemium/DLC stuff and the lack of a updated iPod touch has driven quite a few people away.
    Personally I'm not buying a new apple product but I'll keep using my iPod as long as it lasts.

To big a market to die completely though in my opinion but games that aren't DLC based are getting rarer for sure.

4. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #4 GoofyJmaster., Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    Pretty much agree!

The iPod 5 was going to be my last Apple device, but who even knows when/if it'll be released.

If anything the market won't die, it'll become uglier - more free/paymium, more crap.

All I know is iOS gaming will prolly have some major competition in 2013.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #5 Vovin, Mar 14, 2012

It's you... ;)

Well, look at your calendar. It's March. Most developers used up their ammo at christmas, now they need time to develop more titles. Depending on the game, most titles take at least 6 months to develop. The most games are released before or at holidays, before or at the gaming fairs, at this time of the year (also applying to June - September); it is usually more silent.

Don't worry, I think that iOS gaming is still getting better both in quantity and quality.
    And it is normal that 4 weeks can pass without a title that matches your interests, I experienced the same a few times.

When I check back the last 8 weeks, there were a lot of interesting titles released, like Waking Mars, Adventure Bar Story, Zumas Revenge, Ghost Trick, Dungeon Crawlers, Beat Hazard, Invader Hunter, Hexus and more than a dozen other casual Big Fish games and a lot of other stuff. But that's just my taste.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Fixed the thread title.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #7 Vovin, Mar 14, 2012

*laughs*

Well, that's exactly what my response was about.

edit: Just check the list of new releases now and tell me again that it is silent... ;)

I also think that devs are hestitating to announce games too early lately. Too much of a game cloning risk these days.

8. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

There's still so many good games out there that I haven't tried. Others are right, I think that March is time for development. If you want your app out by Christmas, now is the time to be coding. I know we're at the grindstone now.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I feel like there's been a lot of really great games release in the past 3 or 4 weeks, so I'm not sure I see how it's slowing down. It hasn't from my perspective.

And MotoHeroz tonight! Yeah!

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Horses for courses ! There werent a lot of great games coming out for me personally after Xmas, some other people raved about certain games. About two weeks ago with League of Evil 2, Fancy Pants, Kale etc i had a great week of purchasing games, got about 5 that night. Some weeks will be quiet but then you get the odd surprise like Midway Arcade.

With so much variety around theres normally a fair few games i like. You mention Gameloft, i'm dis-interested in them now due to the disaster of Dungeon Hunter 3 and the letdown of IAP's in Six Guns. So i dont really follow them now so to me if Gameloft are 'quiet' i dont care.

Tonight theres 3 games i want to get, i mean 3 games a week is brilliant really. Just you 'might' be going through a quiet stretch, but with games so cheap just try a few and you might be surprised by games you thought you might not like

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Gameloft's games have been pretty lackluster and uninspired from the start. I can't get excited about them either way.

MotoHeroz tonight. Did I say that already??? :)

12. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Wooo yeah Motoheroz tonight :)

On topic-or the original topic...
    It has sort of died of but then again hasnt-depends on how you look at it-in terms of iphone/ipod pick up and play for a few minutes games have definately increased (mainly freemium pap tho imo) these are kind of games that make developers money so it wont change no matter how much us gamers complain
    In terms of proper game games lol it has died down-but was it ever at a peak? We see expensive ports get released occasionally eg soul calibur final fantasys etc, and then a few gems like Dead Space-then a year later Mass Effect (mixed opinions by ppl on that)
    IMO no console quality 'big' games are going to come out regularly if at all

Go pick up a Vita for big games lol ;) unless your into the small pick up and play games-which arent dying out :)

13. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Lmao. Well said.

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Whether or not the Vita has good games is a YMMV thing. I'm not sure what game I'd get if I got a Vita. If it gets SSX I'd be interested in that, but it will need more games I'm interested in before I fork out the cash for one.

15. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Well I'm pretty much out of the iOS gaming circle, except for the small handful of new games that still support the 2nd gen. I'm just hoping for a 5th gen...

16. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    If you like casual games, yes.
    If you don't, no.

There's a reasonable amount of higher end games in development, but most of it ain't coming out anytime soon. Developmental cycles are much longer now, and most people don't want to release their bigger budget stuff now anyway. Some will, just to take advantage of the fact that most won't. Don't expect a lot this time of year. Look at the 3DS release dates. They are about to enter a 3-month lull.

Personally, I would not update my iDevice simply for the sake of gaming though. Premium gaming has seen its prime on the AppStore, and that prime is gone. We are in the golden age no longer. There will be stuff, Like Ravensword 2, and Forgotten Memories, and Chaos Rings II, and Infinity Blade Dungeons. But there aren't going to be enough of those types games to justify the purchase. The iDevices continue to get more powerful, but games created to harness this increased power are few and far between. I will buy an iPhone 5, for much more than merely gaming. I will not buy an iPad 3, because I cannot justify the iPad as anything more than a gaming machine.

17. landhuman

landhuman Member

Feb 9, 2012
    The sad thing about freemium is that it's what the market wants.

We are the savvy minority.

For some mind-boggling reason, people are bit iffy and unsure spending $0.99 on a game with loads of content and gameplay, but then they'll happily download a freebie and buy $10 worth of dress-up hats that do nothing, and even more amazingly, feel like that's good value.

18. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    #18 Xapped, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    Yeah, the golden age of iOS gaming has gone by.. Speaking of device power, it's a good thing that apple isn't going to go with another massive increase in power (which results in less battery life and bigger game budgets and less games coming out). New iPad has the same CPU, and the GPU is 4X faster but there's 4X more pixels, so..

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Good point, but i treat freemium games like a normal priced game. If i get a freemium game and like it i'll buy 2.99 worth of IAP's as thats what i feel the game to me is worth if i bought it normally.

But like you say people are in a minority regarding IAP's, the problem i see is they 'sometimes' have some good points but i can imagine they get ignored as so often they go on a crazy rant about IAP's when they havent even played the game and seen how it works. The second they see IAP on a description they go mad and not 'all' IAP's are that evil, at least wait and try it out before ranting about an IAP game, but they dont.

But it must be the kids to blame as who on earth are buying 'some' of the IAP's which like you say are stupid hats/costumes to dress up in and dont add anything to the game. Bizarre

20. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    EA don't make just FTP, Mass Effect only came out last week and Flight Control Rocket will be out soon too. Kairosoft have a new release planned for soon. Developers have been as active as ever. Don't know if you can judge as you don't look to be very active.