Company is Sole Proprietor, Apple asks for Inc. papers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cavalcadegames, May 10, 2009.

1. cavalcadegames

cavalcadegames Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    So I enrolled as a company last week and an email from apple arrives days later asking the ff:

- Articles of Partnership/Certificate of Partnership
    - Certificate of Incorporation issued by Securities and Exchange Commission

The problem is the company has been registered as sole proprietor and only have the papers associated with that kind of business. I already emailed Apple saying so and no reply;

I am planning to just fax them what papers I have with a note explaining that fact. Is this recommended?

2. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Honestly,

If it is a sole proprietorship, your best bet is to simply enroll as an individual and not a company. Just use the company name as the predominant display in the AppStore rather than your name. That is something that can be set up in a matter of hours, rather than weeks it requires for the business entity to be established.

3. cavalcadegames

Apr 21, 2009
    #3 cavalcadegames, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    Ok

I didn't you could do that. I thought that if you registered as an individual, its your name that will appear alongside your app not a company. AS SAID in the enrolment forms

Your name will appear as the seller on the App Store
    If you want a company name to appear as the seller on the App Store, please go back and enroll as a Standard Company.

I will re-enroll now.

4. Ya, they sort of mislead you. You can put whatever company name up for the app store. I've got my sole proprietorship name, Cascadia Games, showing up above the game title fine. My personal name, however, shows up in the email receipt. It's a little bit funky, for sure.

5. cavalcadegames

Apr 21, 2009
    2nd misleading info

on the 3rd page of the enrollment process is this:

Seller Name
    The Name entered in your Profile will appear as the "seller" in the App Store.

2nd misleading info?

I am assuming that when you submit your app, there is a selection that lets you choose between personal name / company name?

I created a new account with my company name as its first and last name while the billing info is my name. :D I hope this is the safest way.

6. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Ok, here is what I did and the image shows the results. I my name where it said name and put all the info in the correct box. When I submitted my first application, it asked me for a company name and I put in App Tech Studios, that name can NOT be changed, so don't do any mispelled words ;)

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      43.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    @CalvacadeGames

You can do like AppTech suggested and shown very clearly ;-), as you can see you will still see your company names as the maker of the apps. Though your personal name will appear as the seller. So it all depends if you think its better for you or not to have your personal name to show up there.

Of course registering as an individual can be real quick to get your activation code (hours versus weeks). You could also register as an individual now and later on as a company (this is what I am planning to do, as I am already registered as an individual).

Fred

8. cavalcadegames

Apr 21, 2009
    done

I went ahead and put my company name in the first name and last name fields..

so when Apple displays it:

Cavalcade Games (at the top)

seller: Cavalcade Games
    c 2009 Cavalcade Games

I hope I wont get trouble for this. The Billing information though is my real name and account details.

9. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America

I don't know how they will respond to that. I thought they made checks out to the first and last name field

10. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    If he figured out how to cash a check made out to "Cavalcade Games" he will be fine. :)

11. With an SP registration, you can open a business checking account at any bank. So that's not really an issue. Though in my case, I put my personal checking info into Apple's store and it won't let me change it! It blows my mind how strict they are.

12. cavalcadegames

Apr 21, 2009
    #12 cavalcadegames, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    well...

As for the payment, i would think Apple will use the first and name filed on the billing information.

If they moan, then we would get one more Apple mystery discovered and known. "Is putting your company name as 1st and 2nd name, allowed?".

13. ryanmsmith

ryanmsmith Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I started with a Individual account and migrated to a Business account a few weeks ago. I sent Apple a copy of my Trade Name registration certificate for my sole proprietorship. The process only took a few days, but they still haven't changed the name that appears and my emails asking about that have gone unanswered.

-Ryan
    indiePixel Studios
    www.indiePixel.net

14. cavalcadegames

Apr 21, 2009
    thanks

Thanks for sharing that info!