How often do you turn off your iPhone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by nuttyturnip, Jun 21, 2009.

1. nuttyturnip

nuttyturnip Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Is it a good idea to turn off your iPhone every so often, or is it more like a computer, where you can just leave it on all the time? I use my iPhone as my primary phone (no landline, I have bluetooth-enabled handsets in my apartment), but I'm worried that leaving it on all the time will damage it in the long run.

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Never :D

I nearly always leave my iPhone locked when I'm not using it. Occasionally, I will turn it off to save power, i.e - on a long journey.

That's another question, does the iPhone use up any battery power when locked but still on? I am guessing yes because of some of the background proccesses and things like push notifications.

3. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

You can turn it off?

4. RealRacer

RealRacer Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    #4 RealRacer, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    devices, computers, & you.

First:
    I wouldn't leave your or rather my computer turned in all the time, any power surge can leave you with a dead power input. I've seen it a couple times during storms. I always un plug any "device" during storms like my mac book or iPhone.

In this case an iPhone is like a computer just smaller outputs so the resets are within scale. Also remeber they make phones knowing that they need to be on more then off, so they plan for that.

Secondly:
    think of your computer as if it were a car. You don't leave a car running all day and just jump in when you need to go somewhere, although you might leave it running to just run inside and grab something you forgot.

Computers are the same way, temeratures, exhaust, potential outlet influences can all be potentially problematic.

It good to turn it off for times when you know it's not in use Like leave it on during the day and turbot off at your last use off the night so it to can get some electrical rest or sleep.

And just like a car, it's good to let your computer or device to completley run out of gas, or in this case let your battery drain out every once in awhile so that your getting a fresh charge cycle (charging efficiancy) when you fill the battery. or fill up the tank with fresh gas, no old gas laying at the bottom of the tank.

All these things will help your preformace, load times and device life because even a computer in sleep mode I'd using memory or ram I guess .

And they don't have to be all the time. Maybe restart your device or battery drain once a week.

Computer turn on in the morning or at your first log in,
    turn off at night at your last log in.

Deffinatly restart before any intense prolonged gaming session.

That's my advice as I believe these routine behaviors help more than they hurt.

In the morning turn your idevice off and turn it on

5. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    lol, are you serious or do you just want someone to put what you said in their sig?

To turn it off, press and hold the lock button until a screen comes up with a slider to turn the device off, just in case you are being honest.

6. nuttyturnip

nuttyturnip Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I checked it last night, and mine was using 3% of the battery per hour (with wifi turned off, but bluetooth turned on and connected.

RealRacer, that was sort of my thinking. I turn my personal computer off every night, but I work at the EPA, and we're directed to leave our computers on 24 hours a day. Seems like a terrible waste to me, but they want to be able to push updates when no one is working.

What about leaving the phone plugged up when I'm at home? Is it better to let the battery drain before charging, or can I leave it plugged up when I'm not out and about?

7. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    It is always better to let the battery drain. iPhones come with, what, 500 charges on them? That basically means you can bring your iPhone up to 100% battery life 500 times while getting the maximum capacity filled. After that, 100% of the battery could really only be 98%. The battery life may continue to decrease after that. Whether you're charging your iPhone from 20% battery left or 75% battery left, that counts as one charge. It's always best to let your phone completely drain the first time you use it, and then completely charge it. After that, you should charge it when it is as close to 0% battery left when you can.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Uh, what?

9. marlenedegrood

Thank you for pointing the accurate facts Hodapp. My battery on my iPhone would be dead by now if any charge counted as a full cycle charge. I'm certainly not going to leave the house with half a charge on my iPhone.

10. RealRacer

RealRacer Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    #10 RealRacer, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    I agree with Hodapp's quote from apple,

although I do believe that always staying plug or constantly charging will decrease the charge effinciantcy.

Eventhough a charge from 59% to full, then go out and about and then a charge to full from 26%

that constant behavior I think will eventually hurt your dead to full efficiancy eventhough it might not count as a cycle.

But it would never be enough to really affect the device in a noticable way.

I know my MacBook air is at 98% efficiancy and has like 960 cycles left and I think it's due to the constant half or quarter to full charges because the MacBook air has a poor battery life anyway.

But I do leave my phone plugged in when not in use just because I want the juice and I'll get a new device before my battery will ever have that bad of a charge efficiancy or have ran out of cycles.

Considering it's a phone, I'm sure the batteries are optimized for long periods of power usage to where it's not a immediate problem. It just depends on how long you've had your device.

All things require a part change or tune up sooner or later.

**you can also google iPhone battery saving tips for some advice on prolonging you day to day usage, like iPod eq, push, 3g, stuff like that. Mainly the antenas.

11. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I always leave my touch 2g in sleep mode and it holds power for days, it disables wifi when asleep as when you turn the device back on it takes 5-10 seconds to connect to the internet again.

I turned on bluetooth once I had 3.0 installed and the following morning my battery was flat, so I think that keeps on working or something, never seen the battery drain so fast overnight until I enabled bluetooth...

12. marlenedegrood

LOL .... I was being sarcastic .... I've never turned my iPhone off ... but to be honest I never bothered to learn how to turn it off .... so now if I ever find a reason to .... I'll know how .... thanks to you :)

13. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I turn mine off on weekends at night.

14. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    I hardly turn off my PC nor my phones. The best I do is a irregular restart to give it a simple refresh. Everything is still working well so far but my notebook failed to survive on such intense usage rate.

15. eklafy

eklafy Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I turn mine off every night o_o
    My friend leaves his on forever though, he's online on AIM for 2-3 weeks at a time

16. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I turn my iPod Touch off when I go to bed at night and on long trips. Other wise I leave it in lock mode.