Suggestion: new rule

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Mene, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    No doubt I'll get flak for this but it think I have a valid point.

I would like to propose that the Touch Arcade forum BANS all and any 'win £$ for reviewing my app' threads.

These are a blight on the site and are ONLY used to generate fake 5* reviews on The App Store which in turn misleads future buyers of the said game. This is a pretty despicable and underhand way of getting reviews and I do not think Touch Arcade should allow this practice any longer.

2. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    #2 Red1, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    There's nothing wrong with a developer encouraging people to review their app. Even the big name developers encourage their players to post a rating and/or review on the app store.

It's only dodgy if a developer says: "Give my app a 5-star review" in exchange for some reward. Whereas requesting (or rewarding) an honest review/rating is fine.

3. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    #3 Mene, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    They don't say 'give me a 5*' but let's be totally honest here, people put 5* ratings on it no matter how good or crap it is, in the faint hope of winning something. I'm also willing to bet no 1* review ever won one of these 'so-called' competitions.

'Review and win' is terrible and creates heaps of fake reviews, if a dev wants ppl to play their game, why not 'highest score after 1 week wins'? That way ppl will play AND the App Store won't be swamped with fake reviews?

Either way, I think it's a very dubious practice.

4. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    You've obviously never participated in one of these contests. I don't enter very often, but I've won around 3-4 of them. The devs ask for honest and constructive reviews, so that's what I give them. I rarely rate an app 5 stars, unless I think it really deserves it. The winner is chosen randomly. I'm sure you could look at the majority of winners reviews, and many would not be 5 stars. I use these contests to help devs make there games better, discover new apps and maybe even win something along the way. It's a win-win for everyone. :)

5. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I've not, I see them as a bribe and quite frankly I value my integrity higher than an App Store card.

6. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    So you're against reviewing games fairly and providing constructive feedback to developers? Anyways, it's your choice. :)

7. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    No, you totally missed my point..

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think I'll enter some competitions and if I hate the game I'll leave a 1 star review. Something tells me I won't win any

9. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Please do, I'd love to know if you win with a 1* review :D

...I won't hold my breath