What is your experience with Banners ads on blogs and review sites

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by gamedboy, May 26, 2012.

1. gamedboy

gamedboy Well-Known Member

May 24, 2012
    Game Developer
    Hi Everyone!

I am Jeffrey developer of Autumn Dynasty. I am totally noob to marketing, and is very curious about banners ad. Do people actually click on them or is it a money sink? Hope you can share your experience. Cheers.

2. Ndemic Creations

Ndemic Creations Well-Known Member

I almost used them for Plague Inc. but I left it a bit late so didn't in the end - for the best sites, you need to book the slots months in advance. You can sometimes pick up some last minute cancellations though at good prices

Happily - Plague Inc. is doing just fine anyway (based on its first day!) so I wouldn't say they are essential

3. AppRocketeer

AppRocketeer Active Member

May 16, 2012
    iOS App Marketers
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Jeffery! I am playing your game right now actually. It's tremendously well done!

In our experience banner ads are usually not worth the money unless you have a highly targeted audience or a huge budget. If you do decide to go the banner ad route, I'd suggest looking specifically at Strategy Game communities and blogs and seek advertising there. Doing the scatter-shot approach by buying page takeovers and random banners on one or two sites just isn't worth the money.

Another interesting option to pursue paying to promote a thread on Reddit. You can reach some very active and very targeted communities that way.

4. gamedboy

gamedboy Well-Known Member

May 24, 2012
    Game Developer
    -Ndemic Creations Thanks for the heads up, I never knew we have to queue to place ads :rolleyes:

-AppRocketeer Thanks, glad you like the game, your tip about using reddit is brilliant, I want to try that :) I also visited your website, that would help a lot of developers.

5. HeliApps

HeliApps Well-Known Member

gamedboy, seeing as you are already in the top ten strategy and action games I wouldn't bother wasting money on advertising if I were you (wish I was you).

6. touchten

touchten Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    checking out approcketeers and reddit ads now

thanks for the info..

my personal opinion, the ROI for banner ads was not so good..

7. fernfreak

fernfreak Active Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Thanks for the insight! Maybe we shouldn't run them just yet. Do you think they might help though, if done in conjunction with a new patch, or a couple of weeks down the road when attention might be waning?

8. Ndemic Creations

Ndemic Creations Well-Known Member

Not small banners but the big ones on sites like TA - then absolutely need to queue. I think publishers take a lot of the slots. Still - worth getting in contact with them, the TA people are very helpful.

9. AnalogNest

AnalogNest Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Owner
    Orange County
    Hi Jeffrey,
    I have a friend who spent a lot on banner ads through app review websites, and was very disappointed with the results. I would suggest focusing on mobile advertising. It's the easiest way for consumers to discover and download your app since they are already on their mobile phone, most likely in another app. I'm not saying that it can't be effective, but if you have a smaller budget, I think it's best spent in mobile advertising, where your app is just a click away.

Drew

AnalogNest.com

10. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

Hi,

congrats for the game, I was waiting for it since past year! I was very curious to see the graphics style animated :) Really good.

From what I read (as it interest me too), adv banners on websites - as you pay per click - works better for free apps.
    Promoting purchasable games is very hard today.