Why am I getting Skype notifications after killing the app?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MidianGTX, Oct 7, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This never used to happen. I head Skype making a noise so I opened the multitask menu and closed it. In iOS 6 this did what you'd expect it to do, but now in iOS 7 it's still running despite me specifically telling it not to. I don't have any background data stuff enabled in the settings whatsoever, yet messages are still being delivered to my iPad. I can see them in notification center, yet there's no Skype window in the multitask menu for me to close.

I could set my status to offline in the app, but presumably it'll still be wasting memory somewhere since it never actually quits. How many other apps are doing this and how much of it is intentional?

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Have you tried turning notifications off?

3. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    No, because I still want to use them when I decide to sign in. If it's running in the background somehow, then it's still going to do it with notifications turned off, which is what concerns me.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've found the app to go seriously downhill a lot in stability since Microsoft took it over although I'm mainly using it on android these days but sadly gone are the days I can leave it running in the background for days without even thinking about it.

My someone suspect theories are

1, Microsoft is doing it intentionally to try and drive people to windows phone

2, Microsoft are terrible programmers? or the old skype staff are bitter about the change and don't care anymore

3, Their efforts to decentralise the servers to spy on people is making the app bad

Who knows it's an app I rely on quite a bit though and it's a shame I really don't want to look for a replacement although maybe one day I will.

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    So according to smart-sounding foreign people on Facebook, this is probably to do with Skype updating its services for better syncing across devices. Whereas before you had to keep the app alive in the background, to remain signed in, you can now do so even with it killed completely, much like you can with other messaging apps and iMessage itself.

Just gotta remember to sign out every time.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Or you give IMO a shot, Mr Midian.

7. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Yeah skype doesn't like to be shut down although there a few other apps on IOS that manage to do the same thing I have Beejive IM and when you close it down messages still get delivered to you.

I presume they start some kind of service in the background that runs even when their closed.

8. Gato

Gato New Member

May 1, 2014

Yeah, the martians are doing it too

9. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Well if anyone ever needed proof Microsoft has paid shills it's the fact someone actually made an account just to comment against me on an old buried thread.

Still stand by Skype going downhill since Microsoft bought them and I'm one of the ones who actually pays them for a subscription still, I've personally found it's actually the only app that regularly crashes on Android.
    Before Microsoft it was stable enough to run constantly in the background also started to notice the sound is getting worse on actual calls much more of a background hiss these days.