Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars & Grand Theft Auto 3 ($5.99, $2.99) -Dec 22-

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by goiMot, Dec 22, 2011.

1. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    #1 goiMot, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars ($9.99->$5.99)
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars HD ($9.99->$5.99)
    Grand Theft Auto 3 ($4.99->$2.99)

GTA: Chinatown Wars

Rockstar Games
    Download and play up to thirty minutes as a free trial.* Purchase GTA: Chinatown Wars Full Game as a one-time, in-app p…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Download and play up to thirty minutes as a free trial.* Purchase GTA: Chinatown Wars Full Game as a one-time, in-app purchase to play without any time limits. Following his father's murder, Huang Lee has a simple mission: deliver an ancient sword to his Uncle Kenny to ensure his family retains control of the Triad gangs of Liberty City. Huang is a spoiled rich kid who expects everything to run smoothly, but his trip does not go exactly as planned. After being robbed and left to die, he will search for honor, riches and revenge in the most dangerous and morally bankrupt city in the world. Software license terms in game and at www.rockstargames.com/eula; online account terms at www.rockstargames.com/socialclub. Non-transferable access to special features such as exclusive, unlockable, downloadable or online content, services, or functions may require single-use serial code, additional fee and/or account registration (varies 13+). Access to special features require internet connection, may not be available to all users, and may, upon 30 days notice, be terminated, modified, or offered under different terms. Violation of EULA, Code of Conduct, or other policies may result in restriction or termination of access to game or online account. For customer & tech support visit www.rockstargames.com/support. This videogame is fictional; doesn’t depict any actual event/person/entity; & any similarities are coincidental. Take-Two doesn’t endorse or encourage engaging in any conduct depicted in game. Unauthorized copying, reverse engineering, transmission, public performance, rental, pay for play, or circumvention of copy protection is strictly prohibited. *Free trial limited to one per user. Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited.
    Information
    Seller:Rockstar Games
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Jan 18, 2010
    Updated:Feb 28, 2024
    Version:4.5.5
    Size:914.2 MB
    User Rating: (57)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars HD

*****ATTENTION*****

NEW CUSTOMERS: THIS UPDATE IS FOR CURRENT USERS ONLY. THIS VERSION WILL BE RETIRED ON 4/3/1…
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    *****ATTENTION*****

NEW CUSTOMERS: THIS UPDATE IS FOR CURRENT USERS ONLY. THIS VERSION WILL BE RETIRED ON 4/3/15. PLEASE PURCHASE OUR NEW UNIVERSAL VERSION OUT NOW.

CURRENT USERS: THIS VERSION WILL REMAIN AVAILABLE TO YOU VIA YOUR ITUNES PURCHASE HISTORY FOR FREE INDEFINITELY AFTER IT IS RETIRED ON 4/3/15. IT IS IDENTICAL TO OUR NEW UNIVERSAL VERSION.

LEFT FOR DEAD IN THE WORST PLACE IN AMERICA

Following his father's murder, Huang Lee has a simple mission: deliver an ancient sword to his Uncle Kenny to ensure his family retains control of the Triad gangs of Liberty City. Huang is a spoiled rich kid who expects everything to run smoothly, but his trip does not go exactly as planned. After being robbed and left to die, he will search for honor, riches and revenge in the most dangerous and morally bankrupt city in the world.

Built specifically for portable devices, the groundbreaking Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars has been updated for iOS devices to provide an enhanced and more immersive experience.

- Universal App! Play on all your supported iOS devices*
    - Full Retina Display resolution support
    - Support for MFi controllers
    - Updated, highly customizable touchscreen controls
    - Epic storyline with tons of side-missions, addictive mini-games and hidden collectibles
    - Choose from five radio stations or create your own with custom playlist support**

Languages Supported: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Japanese.

*Requires iOS 7.0 or greater.

**To listen to your own music library in-game, create a playlist titled "GTA" in iTunes, sync your iOS device and select the “Independence FM” radio station while playing.

Updated iOS Version developed by War Drum Studios
    wardrumstudios.com

Find out more:
    rockstargames.com

See videos:
    youtube.com/rockstargames

Follow us:
    facebook.com/rockstargames
    twitter.com/rockstargames
    instagram.com/rockstargames
    Information
    Seller:
    Release:Sep 09, 2010
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (2)

Grand Theft Auto III

Rockstar Games
    The sprawling crime epic that changed open-world games forever. Welcome to Liberty City. Where it all began. Rockstar …
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    The sprawling crime epic that changed open-world games forever. Welcome to Liberty City. Where it all began. Rockstar Games celebrates the 10th anniversary of one of the most influential games of all time. The critically acclaimed blockbuster Grand Theft Auto III comes to mobile devices, bringing to life the dark and seedy underworld of Liberty City. With a massive and diverse open world, a wild cast of characters from every walk of life and the freedom to explore at will, Grand Theft Auto III puts the dark, intriguing and ruthless world of crime at your fingertips. With stellar voice acting, a darkly comic storyline, a stunning soundtrack and revolutionary open-world gameplay, Grand Theft Auto III is the game that defined the open world genre for a generation. Features: • Visually stunning updated graphics, character and vehicle models • HD quality resolution • Gameplay optimized for touch screen devices • Custom controls for the mobile platform • Countless hours of gameplay Languages Supported: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Japanese. Universal App: Grand Theft Auto III is supported on iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4, iPod Touch 5, iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3rd Generation, iPad 4th Generation, and iPad Mini. For optimal performance, we recommend re-booting your device after downloading and closing other applications when playing Grand Theft Auto III: 10 Year Anniversary Edition. Port developed by War Drum Studios http://www.wardrumstudios.com
    Information
    Seller:Rockstar Games
    Release:Dec 15, 2011
    Updated:Jun 04, 2019
    Version:1.5
    Size:704.0 MB
    User Rating: (20)

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Should I get GTA III while it's so cheap, even if I can't play it on my 2nd gen?

I am planning to upgrade as soon as Apple releases a 5th gen.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's a gutsy move to discount GTA3 so early to push those on the fence after launch into a purchase. I imagine most with real interest in GTA3 bought it day 1 and those remainng are unsure.

4. r2ks8x

r2ks8x Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    so i am wrong it's not a introductory price after all! :p

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    When other companies do this it's called crapping on early supporters; but when Rockstar do it's a "gutsy move?"

6. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    My dilemma exactly.

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah.. What do you plan on doing? I might just wait...

8. Zinger314

Zinger314 Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Yes.

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #9 undeadcow, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    Gutsy in that they are under-pricing the product; only a large company like that could do this.

To assume iOS price drops are "crapping on early supporters" assumes a high level of ignorance on the part of iOS gamers. The first time this happened I was shocked, the second time it happened I was sad, the third time it happened I began to understand how the App Store economy works. Naturally people buys games on release day for 1 or 3 reasons - 1) because they just can't wait, 2) to support the developer/product, or 3) because they feel the price is right but I doubt anyone expects a game to retain it's release day value. After Christmas there will be a new crop of suckers to peddle this "introductory sale" junk to but those of you reading this surely know better. Btw, I'm not sure Rockstar ever commented officially that $5 was a sale price.

10. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    oh well...

Lost quite a few bucks

Anomaly Warzone Earth HD bought it for $4 and then it dropped to $2
    Trenches 2 for iPad bought it for $3 and then it dropped to $1
    GTA 3 bought it for $5 and then it dropped to $3.

defiantly not buying things on release day anymore.

11. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    What are you talking about? Almost every single good game on the app store is "underpriced."

"So early" were the key words in your original statement.

12. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Me neither. That's so dumb, that just last week GTA3 just released. That's when I bought it for $5. Now it's going to be $3 wtf.

13. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Something I learned these past few months is if you want to save money on the app store never buy a game when it first comes out. Even if they have an introductory sale don't trust it. Shawdowgun did that and talked about how they never have sales and a few weeks later it's in sale. It's been the treand and just like Freemium I think we are going to see a lot more of it. I got this the first day because I couldn't wait to play it so its no big deal to me it's on sale now. Must admitt I didn't see going on sale that soon but I'm not shocked.

14. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    dammit.... i think i might have to get a new itunes card D:

but i've bought $30 on games in 2 weeks... and only played like 3 games of the lot i bought XD

still... GTA 3 for $3 on my ipod..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Drexpod(my ipods name), what do you think? D:

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Extremely surprising to see this on sale already, especially when it was still in the top 10.

16. Stream

Stream Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    Well, I'm going to buy it. :p Good thing I held back.

17. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Well, I'll shell out the few bucks for this once I get some more iTunes money.

18. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Guys, I don`t know why you are so disagreeable, got the Game in the first Hour it did appear on the iTunes Store and would buy it a second Time for the current Price!

Instead of just being that greedy you should finally realize that the Value of the Game is so above the current Price-Tag that you should praise Rockstar for selling it so cheap doesn`t matter if you had paid for it $4.99 or $2.99.

This isn`t Square/Enix that sells a Game for a fair Value. We are talking here about a Game that does have a Gameplay Time of around 15 ~ 20 Hours for $4.99 or $2.99 and was sold from the first Day under it`s true Value.

Please do me a favor - Stop being that god damn greedy. We will never get Full Price Titles that way!

19. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I can't really speak on your behalf, but I want you say that the game wasn't worth your $5 at all.

If it was worth it, then good on you. You're supporting Rockstar.

If it isn't, then too bad. It happens. It's happened to me for over 20-30 games (I'm sure backtothis can top it by 100 times).

20. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Though I'm slightly bummed about the price drop, I still feel 4.99 was a great price for the game. It's those that are raising hell the reason we have so many freemium apps right now.