Boy what a night - The Verdict is in... RR2...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by helmania, Dec 16, 2010.

1. helmania

helmania Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    This month has been a pinnacle month for IOS devices. This month represents the month when iOS truly surpasses PSP and DS in gaming to offer titles that can easily rival my xbox 360.

Infinity Blade doesn't have PS2 or XBOX 1 graphics, nope. Those delicious visuals look way better than the over rated monster hype junk that is COD: Black Ops. The game play however is even more addictive minus the lack of free roam and lack of versatile finishing moves. I simply can't wait for the update to come next week.

RR2 is just mind blowing. The game starts kind of slow at first since you start with a crappy slow car. Then once you start gaining a little cash, upgrade your hoopty and before you know it, the adrenaline comes full force. It's the best release of the night for sure.

Nova 2 actually surprised me with better graphics and very engaging game play. The bad guys have personality this time around. As much as I hate gameloft, I can't overlook a good game when I see one.

BBC2 was the only waste of money for the night. The fact that it was for a buck should have raised an alarm for me, but I fell for it anyway. Deleted it about 15 minutes later. EA, when will you allocate proper funding to your mobile division so they can stop embarrassing themselves like this????

Dungeon Defender turns out to be a great game that blew me away when I expected very little of it. I've only played it for 30 minutes and I'm already hook.

For the first time I find myself sitting in front of my Xbox 360 playing games...

...on my iphone.

If solid games like these continue to come out the gates next year, even home consoles may need to start sweating cause tonight, I purchased 3 great games for only $19. All of which have great visuals and ton of hours of play and I don't have to be tied to my sofa to enjoy it all.

I can only hope Rockstar will eventually make a GTA (yes I know about CTW) specifically for ios that will play and look just like GTA4 - Although, a RDR would be much more welcoming : )

2. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    I kind of wish rockstar would add episodes like liberty city episodes to gta ctw for idevices or make them as iap or something. The engine and the way the city looks is great. Ive really been getting into it lately, is gangstar miami a good game? Maybe gameloft can make a top down gta ripoff?

And regarding ur post, i feel the same way and actually linked ur post to show that im not the only one on a gamespot topic full of people who refuse to see the light and hate touch gameplay and touch devices with a passion and no matter what u show them theyll never buy it that for such a low price the gamw can be good it must have to suck for them to justify spending so much for console versins and their dlc:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27523320&page=3&tag=topics%3Bpage%3B4

3. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #3 Stirolak26, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    Read this news piece from a real gamers site:

http://kotaku.com/5714071/the-iphones-prettiest-game-was-meant-for-kinect

"Phew. People are willing to overlook Infinity Blade's "simplistic" gameplay on a phone when it's got relatively amazing graphics; had it been on Xbox 360, where those graphics would have been expected, its otherwise shallow experience just would have bummed people out."

And read some of the comments underneath like this:
    "This is why I don't understand how people can say iOS games are going to phase out other platforms. Sure, they can be fun, but they're very limited (even with the Unreal engine), and in general we set our expectations lower because we know they're not going to live up to anything higher. People talk about the price of iOS games being a big draw, which I suppose is true but again it's because they *couldn't* price them much higher, else no one in their right mind would buy them. And this is all coming from a regular iPhone gamer. "

people will never accept apple as even a gaming platform or much less a competitor. Here is another recent kotaku article this time about dungeon defenders:
    http://kotaku.com/5713915/on-my-ipad-an-ambitious-tower-defense-game-in-world-of-warcraft-clothing

Read the comment by shkm:
    "I've been liking the look of this ever since I saw the preview on steam...

...But this nearly puts me off completely. I honestly don't know how anyone can consider iOS a serious gaming platform when the devices have no buttons. Sure, maybe turn-based RPGs and other genres work, but not action games like this.

I really don't mean to be critical, but come on, the screen is a giant button! Only it's inferior to a button because there's no tactile feedback! It's a disaster. "

Why is it hat they always complain about buttons but never about the ds having certain buttonless games like zelda or mario vs dk working real well? Wouldnt that show that certainbgenres can work as good or better than the ds itself on the app store theoritically if devs were good enough?

4. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Jesus, give it a break already.

5. helmania

helmania Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Some people will always be stuck in the past. Only a fool would choose to pay $30 to $40 for psp or ds games(with no updates, bug fix, nothing) when we now have much better games for only $1 to $10.

It's a no-brainer really.

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    You do realize that a GTA 4 type game developed exclusively for the iDevice would cost between $20 and $30. Keep in mind, Battlefield for the iDevice is a "quick & dirty" port. Rockstar doesn't develop anything on the cheap. It would take an investment of millions for Rockstar to make that game. They could not get away with selling it dirty cheap. It took 2 million to develop Real Racing 2. That is why RR2 sells for 9.99. It would likely cost double that or more for Rock Star to develop an iDevice exclusive GTA game.

7. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Read this press announecement of a new wargame that came out:
    http://worldinwar.com/forum/showthread.php?6-From-the-website-Coming-soon-to-the-App-Store&p=6#post6

"“I have played many fantastic strategy games with my friends says game designer Tommy Palm of Fabrication Games, “but most require a huge investment of time to play in one sitting. We wanted to replace those time‐killers with a quick to learn accessible experience for the iOS platforms. World in War is a reaction to that urge."

See even a niechengame such as this has to be simplified and made casual thats how inept the idevice game devs always assume the userbase to be and how little attention span they hage. I cant think of a single complex or pc style game on the ipad or idecices at all. Why is that?

8. mpf189

mpf189 Active Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Agreed, but I'm tempted to get the 3DS when it's released..I've heard such amazing things about it from people who have tried it out.