New iOS controller - 60beat Gamepad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by FireCtrl87, Dec 29, 2011.

1. FireCtrl87

FireCtrl87 Member

Sep 19, 2009
    FC in the US Navy
    Everywhere it seems
  2. FireCtrl87

FireCtrl87 Member

Sep 19, 2009
    FC in the US Navy
    Everywhere it seems
    Also, the website says it can still supply audio through headphones via a splitter. I've already ordered one. Guess I'm toftt.

3. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Id personally wait on buying until there's a larger list of compatible games, which they say will be shown in february. Not gonna fork over that much money to play to games I've barely heard of....

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Same here. Compatible with two games so far !

5. FireCtrl87

FireCtrl87 Member

Sep 19, 2009
    FC in the US Navy
    Everywhere it seems
    Well I really like Aftermath. I'd love to see how this will work for that game. I'm not rich, but I decided to give it a shot. I'm just tired of waiting for that magical BT controller to come out. Who knows, I could end up regretting this purchase. I'll let everyone know if and when it gets here, how well it works. Maybe the TA guys will get a chance to give it a shot.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
  7. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    If it does what it is supposed to do then I will add it into Pompom Games Mutant Storm conversion to iOS, which I'm in the process of converting over.

I would say Mutant Storm is one of the best duel stick shooters ever to be made and this controller (if good and responsive) will certainly enhance it.

8. FireCtrl87

FireCtrl87 Member

Sep 19, 2009
    FC in the US Navy
    Everywhere it seems
    Just an update on my order. I ordered it this morning, with a little hesitation about the service I would get, but they've processed my order and sent a tracking no. with USPS. So far, so good.

9. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    This controller looks pretty cool and would be awesome for dual-stick shooters. I've already contacted them to get an SDK. I want to see about getting my games, Alien Space and Alien Space Retro, working with this. If it's a pretty simple process I can add support and have an update out in short order.

10. BlindingLights

BlindingLights Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Would definitely consider getting this when more games are supported.

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Same here. Love the plug'n'play aspect.

12. FireCtrl87

FireCtrl87 Member

Sep 19, 2009
    FC in the US Navy
    Everywhere it seems
    Would definitely buy your game if you can include support. Im hoping it's pretty straight forward for integration. The AppStore started with indie guys like you making games and the big dogs followed, so hopefully this will work the same way. I'll give your game a look, too since I'm not busy.

13. AlienSpace

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    #13 AlienSpace, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    Thanks! I heard back from 60beat and will hopefully be getting their SDK soon. If it is pretty straight forward to integrate support for this into my games, then I definitely will. I like that (it looks like) I can just detect when it's plugged in and dont have to make additional UI changes, other than hide the on-screen HUD controls. Converting the analog stick input and buttons should be easy.

14. ivanovich

ivanovich Well-Known Member

15. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I guess i'm in the small crowd that doesn't understand the appeal of using a full sized controller on a 10" or smaller screen. It just doesn't make sense to me...at all! The iCade makes sense and the the iCP make sense, even though I don't 100% like the iCP's design.

To me this feels like going in reverse. I used to have a 19" standard definition TV. Then I got a 42" HDTV. Now I'm regressing.

I don't understand this whole wave of trying to turn mobile devices into consoles. For the most part virtual controls work. Then there are things like iCade and iCP which help out with certain games while not being ridiculous.

Sorry if this seemed snooty, but I'm honestly baffled!

16. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

I think it has a lot to do with people's obsessions with gadgets. This is just another luxury gadget that will fulfill the temporary need to plug whatever into the iOS device until the next gimmick comes along down the line.

17. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I know, right? I didn't want to be "that guy" who said that specifically, since I'm always the one saying sh*t like that in other threads. So, I decided to ask a question while presenting what I thought were some valid points against it.

But yeah, I totally agree with you!

Hell, I still have my same feelings about the iPad that i had when the original came out. Do I want one? I mean...yeah, it looks cool and all, so I guess so! Do I need one? Absolutely not! Would I personally use it more than my iPod? No because it doesn't make since as a gaming device, except for a few games. What I want is a 4.7" display on a 4.3" body. That would be my perfect mobile gaming device. Then throw in something like the iCP for certain games...I'm in mobile heaven.

18. AlienSpace

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    I dont think that's it at all. I think a lot of people (myself included) just like to have physical controls. On-screen virtual controls just dont give you any feedback, which is very important for something like analog sticks, but also for buttons. Also, on-screen controls take up valuable real estate, and block stuff that's going on in the game. This is bad in and of itself, but it also limits how many practical controls you can have. Try putting 2 analog sticks and 8 buttons on screen in the iPhone. Not only that, but you can only really touch 2 things at once... so if I'm touching the virtual firing analog stick and want to hit the trigger, I have to take my thumb off the stick. This isnt a problem with a physical controller.

19. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I think we're saying that it's pretty silly to make an actual controller for such a small device. A better implementation would be something like iCade for iPad, iCP, or something a little different. Especially on a 3.5" display where I keep the device right by my face. Plus feedback is hype IMHO. I mean you can train yourself to get used to the virtual buttons. I've been playing on console games for over 10 years. Coming over to the touchscreen was different but obviously not impossible. Hell, I was shell shocked for a while when I switched to my first touch screen phone. After 2 years, I'm totally accustomed to virtual controls, even though there are certain games I'd like to have a gamepad for.

20. AlienSpace

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    Here's a video of Alien Space Retro using the 60beat controller. The update for this will be submitted soon.