Kung Fu Master

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Seiza616, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Seiza616

Seiza616 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I was thinking about retro games today and I wonder if anyone remembers Kung Fu Master by Irem? I remember the arcade game as well as the nes version....great games. What do you think the liklihood is of an IOS port of the arcade game? Minimal at best probably.

2. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Here you go. I think the first couple levels are free and then it's a buck to unlucky the rest.

KungFu Quest - The Jade Tower by Januar Tanzil
    https://appsto.re/us/FVgiN.i

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I think an official port is extremely improbable. Irem pulled out of making games after the Tohoku Earthquake in 2011 in favor of focusing on pachinko. They seem to be okay with licensing out certain properties like R-Type for ports, but there's another problem with Kung Fu Master to consider.

Simply put, the game we know in English as Kung Fu Master is actually called Spartan-X and is a licensed game based on a Jackie Chan movie of the same name (known in English as Wheels On Meals). Due to that license, the game hasn't been rereleased in about 25 years. It's very unlikely to ever officially resurface as a result of both of these things.

4. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    KFQ "The Jade Tower" is a fine game, but gameplay-wise it's not much like Kung Fu Master. It's closer to a 2d version of Final Fight.

There are a couple decent unofficial ports of Kung Fu Master/Spartan X, both NES and arcade versions. If you like NES Kung Fu, give Karate Fighter a try.

5. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Loved Jade Empire!