Why did Square port the DS versions of it's FF games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GKDAIR, May 28, 2013.

1. GKDAIR

GKDAIR Member

Apr 20, 2013
    The DS version of Final Fantasy IV is significantly harder than any other version of FF IV on the market, for no reason. Square was just bored and decided "Oh hey, let's make this game 20 times harder than it's ever been before"

Naturally this is the one they port over to the IOS.

The game isn't frustratingly difficult, it's just annoying. I'm about 10 hours in and even normal enemies just counter everything I attack them with, by the time the battles are over half of my team is stunned or paralyzed or asleep or a toad or something. And there's nothing you can do to avoid it because if you attack them psychically they will counter you and if you attack them magically they counter you.

Don't even get me started on bosses. The bosses aren't extremely hard, but they just spam their counters every turn and I'll spend half of the fight trying to return my party to normal.

Also Tellah sucks, I mean he sucks in the regular game, but I'm stuck with him as my only mage, and Cecil already has more MP than he does. His MP drains way too fast and he's practically made of glass.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #2 undeadcow, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    ...but iOS Final Fantasy IV has adjustable difficulty not featured in the DS edition including a Hard mode with original DS settings and a normal setting specifically implemented for "improved playability;" see quote from app description below.

Many of the bosses have a weakness or trick you can exploit to beat them (i.e.
    cast silence on
    the Dark Elf nearly neuters him).

I agree about Tellah being weaker but he does have Osmoses on Black Magic that allows him to zap up MP from enemies and replenish himself fairly quickly without having to use items. I see Tellah more as a plot point character than a legitimate playable element.

3. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Well I beat it on hard mode so....it's not really that bad. Use gamefaqs for boss tips, don't be too proud to use them. U don't need to level to 99 to beat the last boss, just 60 or so if I remember. Be better.