Jump Dewds! Exclusive Sneak Peek! (Also, Beta Testers Wanted)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by graveckdude, Jan 8, 2012.

1. graveckdude

graveckdude Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    sneakpeekLogo.png
    Basic Premise:
    Set on the hidden volcanic island of Dewdawonton, lives an undiscovered race of creatures who call themselves "dewds." Underneath this island is the largest hoard of treasure in the world -- and every time the volcano erupts the treasure erupts in a fountain of gold coins. It's your job to collect as many of these falling coins as you can before the coins shatter the ground and expose the magma underneath!

01.jpg 02.jpg
    04.jpg 05.jpg
    06.jpg

How to Play:
    Tilting your device enables you to move left and right, whereas tapping the screen makes your dewd jump. With a pool of lava threatening you from below and objects plummeting toward you from above, mastering these controls is essential to not only nabbing coins that drift down the screen, but primarily for the sake of survival. Collect enough coins and you're able to unlock new levels, power-ups, and even playable dewds.

Here's What People Are Saying:
    Over the holidays, we tested it on a diverse group of users (actually...mostly just family at get-togethers). It received almost exclusively positive feedback! Here are some of the highlights:

"Oh, that's neat. Did you make that on the computer?"

"Why does that panda guy poop strawberries?"

"Is this the Angry Bird game I saw on the Today Show?"

"You spelled dude wrong."

"Oh neat. Hey, I have an idea for an appÂ…"

"Needs more birds."

Beta Testers Needed:
    We have room for a handful of folks who would like to give us meaningful and thorough input. Most of the game is pretty solidified -- the areas we are looking for most feedback are bug reports, pricing, and balancing. If you're interested, sign up at our beta sign-up page. We have a new beta being released very shortly (probably 01/08).

We're planning on release in about a month, but no solid date is yet set. Hope you enjoy!

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Looks like it could be fun.

There, add that to what people are saying. :)

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Signed, looks fun :)

4. MitchNied

MitchNied Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    Looks Fantastic. Signed up :)

5. Drsponge

Drsponge Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Turn Around
    Signed up!!

6. nobelak555

nobelak555 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Signed up.

7. GraveckTy

GraveckTy Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Creative Director
    Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far, we are making a couple last minute changes and will have a build shortly!

One thing that wasn't mentioned above is that we are planning on releasing with real-time multiplayer matches, but our testing session is geared more towards the Singleplayer experience. JD is a lot of crazy fun, and I hope you guys enjoy it!

8. Echopeus

Echopeus Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Woot, sounds like fun :)... multi-player you say!... 2 or more or just 2 ?

9. GraveckTy

GraveckTy Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Creative Director
    2-player head-to-head madness!

10. Echopeus

Echopeus Member

Dec 31, 2011
    #10 Echopeus, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    OMG great little game,

so here's what I noticed so far... the skele-dewd rox but when he disappears and reappears he collects coins on the way up but not special things like bonuses and powerups, which might be what u want but stinks lol...

- also when you lean your dewd onto the side of the screen it gives you a triple jump.
    - I had the game lock up on me 1 time so far... cant replicate it
    - if a block is parachuting down and you pop the parachute but somehow get stuck under the block and it falls all the way to the ground and it falls on another piece of ground tile, you get pused into the lava and die...
    - I dont see how the negative effects coming out of the lava can come out when the metal ground power up is used

11. graveckdude

Mar 6, 2009
    Thanks!

Nice catch! Added to our bug list.

I can't help but notice that's a fairly expensive character, so I have a few questions for you:
    1. What other characters have you unlocked?
    2. Have you unlocked any powerups or levels?
    3. What are your general thoughts on pricing? Balancing the economy has thus far been a very difficult thing for us to judge.
    This is actually a feature, not a bug. We wanted to add a "wall jump" to add an extra layer of complexity for more advanced players. I can see where this may come across as a bug though . . . perhaps we need to put some thought into explaining this somewhere. We intentionally decided not to explain it anywhere so as not to complicate things for the younger audience.

Thanks. All of this feedback is very valuable! Keep it coming :)

Any of the other testers have feedback? It's really important to us that you let us know what you think! If you're a confirmed tester with a build you can either post it here, report stuff through TestFlight, or post on our beta forums that you should have a link to in the invitation email.

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Could you send the build again? I accepted invitation, but you sent it too quick so I didn't get a build :(

13. Echopeus

Echopeus Member

Dec 31, 2011
    #13 Echopeus, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    yeah Here's more info:

the Dewds I've unlocked (I like to get the better ones)
    - Crystal(not sure if it was unlocked or if I did)
    - Bingle Derry
    - Skully
    - Quinn

Power Ups!
    - Metal Ground lvl2
    - Magnet lvl1
    - Slow Mo lvl1
    - Vortex lvl1
    - Coin Rain lvl1
    - Companions lvl2
    - Frozenlava lvl1
    - Repair Kit lvl1

and my Levels I've unlocked
    - Dewd-Berry Forrest
    - Dewdstock Festival!!

--when I first started playing the game I didnt realize I could upgrade/purchase more power ups.. Once I got Repair Kit it helped out a TON

I think pricing is ok, it took some time to unlock stuff but it kept me entertained :)

-- are u planning on adding dewds in the future.?
    -- I'd love to see a build a Dewd person to unlock where u can pick from parts what he looks like
    -- also another idea maybe items that dewds can wear to give them a higher jump or speed
    -- one last thing... if feels like the dewds need a story... not sure if your working on one but they seem like they've got a lot to say lol :D

thanks :) i'll keep jumping my dewd :) cant wait to unlock the higher stuff...

**UPDATE**
    just got D.E.W.D 2.0 and hes awesome :D
    one thing... your background doesnt go high enough...took a pic --deleted the pic didnt know if I should post it-- let me know if u want me to email it to you or if i should just post it

** UPdate to the UPdate**
    I'm also dying when I fall from real high up it just tosses me into the lava even when I know that I havent lost any bricks yet because its too soon in the game...

14. nobelak555

Nov 28, 2010
    #14 nobelak555, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    I haven't receive the build. Do you can send me a link, please? :)

15. GraveckTy

GraveckTy Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Creative Director
    Awesome! Thanks for checking it out, we appreciate the feedback.

If you haven't received the build, its possibly because we filled all of our current slots for Beta 2. But we will soon be delivering Beta 3!

16. nobelak555

Nov 28, 2010
    You ran out of UDID slots and I can't test it :(

17. GraveckTy

GraveckTy Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Creative Director
    @nobelak555 - Sorry :( I'll see what I can do.

How's the testing going guys? You can post feedback here, or in an email from Testflight! Hope you're all enjoying it, we can't wait to release.

We have an all new Revive system coming soon, which should be a lot more fun.

18. nobelak555

Nov 28, 2010
    GraveckTy, ok, please! :)

19. graveckdude

Mar 6, 2009
    To those of you in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand -- we're currently live in your App Store for a short soft launch period!

We're finally set for a World Wide launch of Jump Dewds the week of June 18th! We've been putting a lot of care and love into it since we released our alpha and we're finally ready to unleash the app into the wild.

For those of you who want to check out a sneak peek web build, you can go to http://www.jumpdewds.com. Keep in mind this is an older version and we've since improved upon it.

Thanks to all those on this thread who helped us test early on!