Critique Our Game, 'The Last Ace of Space'!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by AstroCrow, Aug 1, 2011.

1. AstroCrow

AstroCrow Active Member

Apr 21, 2011
    If you don't know us yet, we're Astro Crow- a three man (though only two of us worked on this game) team in Orlando, FL. Our first release, "The Last Ace of Space," has been out for about three months now. We've been steadily tweaking and adding new features when we've had the time, and it seems to be working out for us, as we're slooooooooooowly getting progressively more sales! Before we put all our energy into our next project, we feel that there could still be some update-worthy features to throw into our game, to keep the momentum rolling.

With all this in mind, we'd like to ask YOU, fellow iOS dev dudes, for your thoughts! Feel free to hit on any aspect (art, sound, gameplay, blah, blah) you want- we're big kids that won't get offended, and if you can show us that it's a good idea, we'll implement it! We want to make sure that The Last Ace of Space is the best representation of itself it can be before we move on to project number 2!

FAIRLY RELEVANT LINKS:

www.astrocrow.com (Official Site)

http://youtu.be/fpQAKUV46zY (Launch trailer for The Last Ace of Space)

http://itunes.com/app/thelastaceofspace (Direct link to The Last Ace of Space in the iTunes App Store - Only 99 cents!)

http://itunes.com/app/thelastaceofspacelite (Direct link to The Last Ace of Space Lite version in the iTunes App Store - FREE!)

And for you, Curious Viewers #1 #2 & #3, a free promo code for the full version of the game (redeem it fast... before 'THEY' do...):

MW4NFHT6LNE4
    J9JXL3YFFJN6
    PFRN7J7AX9EX

Thanks in advance to everyone for your two cents (or $0.99, if you went and bought the full version... well, I guess that'd be $1.01... $0.71 after apple gets their cut...)! If you're going the FREE Lite version route, read the App Store description to see what is in the full version, so you can see why you should feel self-loathing for having not purchased it.

XOXOXO,
    Team Astro Crow

www.twitter.com/astrocrow
    www.facebook.com/astrocrow

2. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Took J9JXL3YFFJN6, will give you my thoughts after playing. One thing I noticed about your trailer video is some of the text is a bit jagged especially the parts that come up and explain what to do. Nothing else is. so maybe that's one area (antialiasing) that you can polish.

3. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    I got PFRN7J7AX9EX.
    I'll play it and write my impressions in a future post.
    As far as your trailer goes, I agree with swiftest. It needs to be polished. The game looks fun and you need a catchy song to convey that feeling. The current song just doesn't work, IMO.
    You also need to get rid of the simulator and hands-on footage and just go fullscreen, in order to get the viewers immersed in the gameplay.

Will post my impressions as soon as I spend some time playing it!

4. Hollyweird Zombies

Hollyweird Zombies Active Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Transmissions Engineer
    Hollywood, CA
    I downloaded the free and wanted to get the paid but I'm not near any wi-fi at the moment. The graphics and art is amazing. I really dig it. The flatulent pig as a flying device is very funny. The gameplay is very fun and takes a little time to master at least for me. The only thing that took me out of the game was the music. I felt the character should be surfing. It has a Beach Boys vibe. Other than that, I like it. Good luck with it.

5. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    I played your game for a couple of days and it's a pretty cool time-waster.
    I'd love to see more enemy variety in the future, as well as a more fluid animation for the main character.
    The controls are great and easy to learn, so I don't have anything bad to say about them.
    Apart from the animation, I think you should try and add some diversity to the color palette. That's basically it!

All in all, it's a great, simple and fun game that had me hooked at the very first playthrough.

Congratulations!