3GS Enhanced version of Dark Raider

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RPGGuy, Jul 28, 2009.

1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #1 RPGGuy, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
    After making the 3GS enhanced version of Blue Skies, I decided to take it a bit further and make a new version of Dark Raider that adds even more shader effects...

Dark Raider 3GS is a specially enhanced version of Dark Raider which takes advantage of your new iPhone 3GS's graphics capabilities.

The game uses high dynamic range, deferred rendering with unlimited number of dynamic lights, and per pixel lighting using normal maps. These are effects normally only found in console and PC games.... but IT'S RUNNING ON YOUR PHONE at over 30 fps!

Dark Raider 3GS has the most detailed eye popping graphics of any iPhone game to date, and is the best way to show off your phone and make your friends drool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[hqyoutube]mZ0DnxLM0D4[/hqyoutube]

The game was submitted tonight and is awaiting approval.

2. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Any screenshots?

3. Petrus

Petrus Well-Known Member

Cool! I guess, I must say, I'm more interested in 3GS enhanced 3D game, still looks nice though. Couldn't you figure out how to not make it an all new app?
    TY

4. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I did post screenshots. Hopefully everyone can see them? I have do not have my engine working with both versions of OpenGL in the same app yet, and it makes sense to market this to 3GS owners only.

I also added cheats, so if you complete the game on each difficulty you unlock different things, like faster shotgun, free rockets and grenades, and god mode.

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Could you post some comparisons between the two?

6. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Previous version

[​IMG]
    3GS version

In the previous version lighting was all done using software. In the 3GS version lighting is rendered using hardware. It renders the lighting to a texture and then uses that texture distorted by a normal map to light every pixel on the screen. The end result is faster and much more detailed. The high dynamic range also allows for lights to accumulate to a brightness that is higher than the screen can display. The shader then uses tone mapping to display the end result in the normal color range.

7. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    3gs has normal mapping integrated in it then? :eek:

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    3GS has vertex and pixel shaders, and up to 8 textures at once. So you can pretty much do anything that DirectX9 / Shader model 2 cards can do on your phone.

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I'm very interested in these 3GS specific games. Is this an update if you already have Dark Raider, or is this a whole new app because I don't mean to sound cheap, but I'm not sure if I can justify buying the game all over again for improved graphics.

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Looks superb - and I am sort of glad that I newer to the iPhone market - I don't have old versions of games... So I don't have to double dip (like I have with half my DVD collection for BD) :D

11. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #11 RPGGuy, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  12. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Holy crap that looks beautiful o_O

13. Dayyyyyum. Those are some sweet pixels. And the performance is still perfect. Awesome.

14. dragmor

dragmor Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Looks like iDracula

15. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Not to be pushy, but could you answer my question? Is it an update or all new app?

16. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    All new app

17. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Man that's a shame. I already have Dark Raider, and really don't know if I can see buying it again.

18. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    And marketing like this is what is killing Blue Ray. This could easily be done as an in app Free upgrade or code that could detect what device you have.

Just a bit unhappy about this :mad:

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    You won't be the only one.

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    hey, hey, now...let's not all jump on RPGguy here. He's doing two very good games (Blue Skies and Dark Raider) even greater justice on 3Gs hardware.

Would it be better if he simply packaged these upgrades onto the original apps so that current owners wouldn't have to buy again if and when they upgrade their devices?

Sure.

And it seems he's trying. But if he opts to go this route, I'm not gonna flame him for it anymore than I have Nintendo for upgrading Gamecube games onto Wii (new play control) with bumped up graphics, or Rare last gen when they upgraded Conker N64 to XBox (notice how the gap in both cases was from one gen to the gen directly after it...and by gen I'm using the gamer terminology, not Apple's use of the phrase which in their case includes slight revisions of existent tech).