inapp purchase in binary not button set up

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Planetman, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Planetman

Planetman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2014
    Should I worry that this freelancer I hired has set up some inapp purchases in the binary and not using the set up inapp purchase button in itunesconnect?

2. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Do you have iAP in your App? Is your app finished?

If you are worrying about the dev setting up some iAPs for a different dev account, I'm not sure it is possible. Meaning, he shouldn't be able to hijack your iAPs.

Anyway, the best solution is to ask him to explain to you what the situation.

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Yeah it is a 2 step process you have to set it up both in code and itunes.

4. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    cha

Do you know how difficult it is to negotiate
    With Chinese developers? Anyway iTunes setup has not been done

5. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Well I assume you knew that when you went with them and the price tag. You could of paid more and get better service.

I have heard quite a few people use those cheap developers and they have rarely ended well. That who got to a finished product functionally did what it said but didn't have any polish or shine.

Hopefully you can learn from this experience in the future :)

6. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    cloak

When you have a budget of 800 us dollars it which took you a month to earn is very difficult don't you think? Also trying to sift through profiles on freelancer sites half that have fake reviews or pretend to be top coders that is well a nightmare. Not. Everyone can get million dollar funding you know

7. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    You are controling the itunes connect dashboard right? Then, set it up yourself with the help of your coder. He should tell you what is the product Id he is using in the game for your iAps.

JC

8. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    Hello ovogame. How is it going with you? I am useless at coding and
    Even
    Setting
    Up inapp purchase I can only invent
    Games and hire a programmer when I have saved the money from work. I would not have a clue to set
    Up extra cards in a game inapp purchase for example

9. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I understand you are on a budget and I get you must really want to do this. I do hope it works out but that sort of development you would expect a high chance of failure.

I agree it is hard to work out who is good. Those sorts of prices for a game is why I couldn't ever afford to freelance.

It is a minefield and you are very brave to enter it!

You wouldn't be able to set it up without the help of the coder so there isn't anything to try. You also want to be able to test it in the itunes environment before release. Don't release without being sure it works since the week you release is likely to be as good as it gets unless your app is amazing.

10. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    @Planetman, I would suggest that you take the time and money to learn about how itunes connect works, and how to set up in-app purchases. If you want to get into the app development business there are a few things you are going to need to understand if you want to succeed. Even if you are getting someone else to do the programming for you.

They are:
    1. how to setup a project in xcode and get it to run on your iPhone device. This doesn't require any knowledge of programming, its just following the instructions from apple. But if you can't do this, there is no way for you to know if what you have paid for actually works.
    2. how to setup an app in itunes connect, and how to add the needed bits so that you can distribute your game.

If you can't do these things, then it might be worth doing one of those udemy courses that come with source code, or following a guide on youtube, or even getting a book.

Just going out and getting someone to make your game is a very risky option, and if you get them to do all the setup as well, the cost is going to quickly add up. The development market is a bit like car mechanics market, I have done a bit of contract work, and I work very hard to keep and honest and clear relationship with my clients. But I can see how easy it is to take advantage of people who have no idea when it comes to software development. And then for the client, its like when I take my car to be fixed, in the back of my mind I am always a little worried about whether I am being ripped off, simply because I have no idea what is going on. So if you are going to try and have a business of making app, you really need to learn more about them.

11. Crichton333

Crichton333 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Game developer
    He will also need to know the code name of the IAPs that the developer put in the source code, com.yourname.nameofgame.nameofpurchase.

Thats what you need to enter in iTunes Connect and provide a screenshot of the screen where the purchase is made.

Thats it. And some description.