Best RPG

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by OsideRida06, Feb 26, 2010.

1. OsideRida06

OsideRida06 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Hey guys,

I am a pretty big iPhone gamer as well as an xbox 360 gamer. However, I have never really been into rpg type games before. I guess I never really gave them a chance to be perfectly honest. I would like to give them a chance now here on my phone. I have been checking out some in th app store and also saw FF released as well. I guess I am just wondering which one you guys think is the best for the iPhone? Now remember I am not normally an rpg type player and I really do not know anything about them at all. But now is the time to start. I am heading to NC tomorrow and I want to play which ever one I choose on the way there. Thanks to all who can help!

2. BlazeX444

BlazeX444 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    FFI & II and definiteky zenonia 1 & 2 whenever it is finally released.

3. OsideRida06

Jan 3, 2010
    Which do you think is better out of FF and Zenonia? Like I said I know nothing about RPGs. This will be my first. I know this has been aske many times but with the release of FF I just wanted to make sure.

4. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    It al just depends on what you want. Do you want turn based(you and your enimirs take turns at fighting) or non-turn based (you attack as fast as possible usually chaining attacks with spells, more of a button mash)?

5. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Go with Inotia 2. Plenty of content and action that will keep you engaged for days. There is a pretty big update coming soon introducing a new class (ranger) as well as new addtional content. That's my recommendation. Check out the thread you'll see plenty of positive impressions and/or comments about the game.

I have played through ff1 and 2 enough times on other consoles to say they are great games no doubt but for me...I'm good on replaying them ATM.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    But he asked what was good for him not for you. He's never played FF, so that's probably a good place to start. Inotia 2 is not bad, and neither is Zenonia, but both get very repetitive fairly quickly. FF 1 & 2 are serious console games (albeit old) not cellphone ports.

7. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    So saying "they are great games no doubt" isn't giving him my opinion on them? hmmm... :rolleyes:

If he is going to get one or the other, I enjoyed 2 over one but again that's my opinion. Get both of you can, they are proven rpg's as well as a staple in gaming history. ;)

8. OsideRida06

Jan 3, 2010
    So FF it is then?

9. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
  10. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The only ones I've liked are Across Age, FF 1+2, and Inotia 2. The rest I regret I ever purchased. Also, since you're a 360 gamer I'd recommend Eternal Sonata and Mass Effect 1+2 for rpgs to play at home.

11. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    For a complete newcomer to RPGs, I think an Action-RPG would be more accessible compared to a straight-up, battle screen, menu-based combat, "standard" RPG.
    Then again, if you're dedicated to getting the true, pure RPG experience, the Final Fantasy games seem like a great place to start. You'll be beginning right where the whole console RPG paradigm itself was beginning.

It's really your call, based on how deeply you want to dive into things for your first venture into the genre.

Do you want to hit a button to swing your sword at a monster, chop-chop? Or do you want to enter an attack screen, pull up a menu, check which weapon is best for the situation, and then choose to attack with that weapon from a command menu, and watch a cool animation while your character attacks?

12. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    As always, I suggest downloading a bunch of Lites and empirically discovering what rocks your boat ;).

Zenonia and Inotia 2 both have Lites out, but I also suggest getting Lites for the Undercroft and The Quest, which are done in the style of retro WRPGs.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I may have misunderstood what you wrote -- it read to me "get Inotia 2; FF1 is great but I've played it to death already."

Anyway, one option that has not been mentioned is Dungeon Hunter, which I think is a pretty good beginner RPG. It has a fair amount of complexity to it, but all on all it's an easy game with tons of eye candy.

14. Onlyflame

Onlyflame Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Ravensword.
    It's simple enough for beginers, and a lot of fun.
    Then get Hybrid.

15. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I'd highly recommend Eternal Sonata as well if you have even the slightest interest in cute graphics, good music, or any interest in classical music (Eternal Sonata was the only regret I have for not owning an Xbox or PS3), over any iPhone RPG. iPhone RPGs just don't have the charm of real modern console RPGs, they're either really stretched out and repetitive like Zenonia and Inotia 2 (but are the best ones for an iPhone standard), or really short but action packed like Hybrid and Vanquish. There are none that really keep you playing for awesome music, awesome cutscenes, or awesome storylines in console RPGs like the Tales series, Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy or Eternal Sonata.

16. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Don't forget the Star Ocean games! INTL version out on PS3!

17. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Ugh, I hated Dungeon Hunter. I don't know if that's a good representation of the genre, there is absolutely no complexity to the combat at all, it's a button masher in the worst possible way.

Ravensword would be my recommendation too. It's a really fun game that doesn't drag on and feel tedious. It is perhaps a little short for a hardcore RPGer, but I'd say for a first-timer it would hit that sweet spot pretty well.

Zenonia and Inotia are grind-fests, so I'm not sure those would be good choices for the first time.

FF 1 might be a good place to start, but it's really really hard from what I remember. I actually got it but I've hardly played it and haven't gotten anywhere yet. Also, the random encounters (invisible monsters jumping yo every 10-20 seconds) really turns some people off.

I would definitely go with Ravensword. And if you like that, get Necromancer Rising next.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I don't particularly like Dungeon Hunter either, but it is a decent representation of the Diablo/Dungeon Siege hack-n'-slash RPG. It introduces some of the core aspects of RPGs (classes,experience/leveling, item management, side quests, etc) while hewing closer to action game mechanics.

I much, much prefer Ravensword, too, but many people found the RPG component (as opposed to the action/adventure component) to be weak. Now Ravensword II will be a different story, but that won't be out for a while.

19. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I suppose you could say that Dungeon Hunter is an okay representation since it does present those elements, but I find it poor in that it presents them poorly. :)

To me, you go with the better game, and Ravensword is that, and it does also introduce some of the RPG components, though I agree it is definitely more of an action-adventure than an RPG.

I wonder if the OP has played Ocarina of Time or other Zelda games? I guess if he wants to get a good deal more RPG heavy than that he might want to stay away from Ravensword. In which case, I suppose I would say go for FF 1.

Sadly, there aren't a lot of good pick up and play RPGs for the iphone, or many good RPGs at all for the iPhone, for that matter (imo). I do like Necromancer a lot, but it's hard to recommend to an RPG noob.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Won't get an argument from me.