Generic Programming questions

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WauloK, Jan 24, 2009.

1. WauloK

WauloK Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Howdy.

I wanted to confirm some things about iPod/iPhone programming.

I see there are 3d engines now: Unity, Shiva and Torque.

Do I understand correctly that even if you have these (which the websites say can export iPhone compatible code) it still can ONLY be developed on a Macintosh, though the applications also run on Windows XP?

Is it correct that the ONLY way to write applications which can be submitted to the App store is to program them on a Mac?

Is a cheap Mac Mini sufficient to develop for the iPhone? From what I read it has to be only an Intel CPU Mac Mini. I've heard some say a Mac Mini is way too slow to develop on, yet others say they got their old G4 Mac Mini to work with the SDK anyway.

I know some people use ToolChain but I haven't read anywhere if they have much luck doing so nor if they could submit the applications to the App store.

Just a few questions I cannot find a definitive answer anywhere from Googling around.

Thanks!

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    yes you must have a mac and by looking at that "what comp to buy" thread i think you will see a lot of people recommended a mini. Yes, i believe it has to be an intel.

3. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
  4. WauloK

WauloK Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Thanks, guys. I wish they'd put that info on the FAQ or Features pages on the 3D engine websites to make it clear :)

5. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    heh, i was tho only person who posted... I guess that makes me two guys!

6. WauloK

WauloK Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Twins are people two... ;)