Return To Mysterious Island or Myst?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ta11on, May 31, 2009.

1. #1 ta11on, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
    Which of these games is the better choice? Which has a more addicting story?

Wait. RTMI is a point and click adventure game right?

2. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    If you have never played Myst, get that one. Its a timeless classic that is seamless on the iPhone. In fact, this port has higher quality pictures, sound, and whatnot. The story is a little deeper as far as I know (note that I have not beaten RTMI).

RTMI is good but buggy and is missing features from its PC counterpart. While it looks great, some of the bugs render it unplayable in my opinion. The sound is very shaky, items you need mysteriously disappear, it crashes occasionally, and the inventory is extremely frustrating to navigate. I would hold off on this at the moment.

If you don't have the room on your device for Myst, then I would say take your chances with RTMI or just wait.

3. Greengas

Greengas Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Paper Shuffler.
    Long Island, NY
    I agree go with Myst, I was very disappointed with RTMI the PC version is so much better.

4. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I haven't played Myst on the iPhone, but I never liked the game on any other platform. I've enjoyed RTMI so far, and aside from the frustrating inventory navigation and slight hiccups in the soundtrack from time to time, I've not experienced the problems many others seem to have with the game (I'm running it on a 2nd gen iPod Touch). My recommendation would be RTMI.

5. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    i would like to recommend myst but its so huge =.= gotta find some way to install that gem....and ill start with deleting rtmi to clear some room

6. Elansar

Elansar Member

Mar 28, 2009
    NA
    NA
    I would say go with Myst rather than RTMI. Myst is a timeless classic that is fun for any gamer. Even though the graphics are not as good as RTMI the story in my opinion is much better. RTMI can get annoying when you can not skip the speech when you are trying out new items on hot-spots (places of interest) on the island. Even though Myst is a big game it really is worth the space that it takes up. :)

7. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    But it's not fun for any gamer. I've been playing games for over 20 years now, and I thought Myst was boring. I really don't understand why everyone is so enamored by it.

8. Photobooth

Photobooth Active Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I just finished RTMI and I had a lot of fun, I never played PC Myst or RTMI. I am just starting on Myst and I really miss the way RTMI uses the 360 degree panning. RTMI grabbed my attention right away and held me too, while I am having a hard time getting into Myst. We will see how interesting it gets.

Soren

9. ponyboy

ponyboy Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    #9 ponyboy, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
    I have both, like them both, but my vote would also be for Myst. RTMI is not too buggy for me but also does not engage me like Myst did. The graphics in RTMI are better than in the current version of Myst but Myst is so much more interesting--puzzles and challenges are unique and the storyline is engaging. RTMI is more like a trapped on an island, combine items to perform a function to move past an obstacle game. If Myst had the 360 degree panning like in RTMI it would be nearly perfect. There is a PC version of Myst that does have that capability, entitled RealMyst, but I doubt it would be ported.

10. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Question about Myst:

When given TOO MUCH freedom, I tend to get overwhelmed and lose interest. When starting Myst, is the ENTIRE world unlocked from the beginning? Or are you exposed to only relatively small portions of the game world at a time by slowly unlocking more and more areas as you solve puzzles?

11. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    There are things called ages, so there is a large place, a sort of central hub for you to explore, but you unlock different places, or ages. Buy Myst!

12. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    How difficult are the puzzles in Myst? My only experience of P&C adventures was Flight of the Amazon Queen.
    In particular, I have read somewhere that you have to _map out_ stuff in Myst. I have no sense of orientation either IRL or in games and this gives me pause.

OTOH, I really hunker for a good P&C on my iPod - FOTAQ totally converted me into a fan of the genre ;).

13. Gebraroest

Gebraroest Active Member

May 24, 2009
    MYSt is too big of game for me, no more room for other apps