Company Name

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jlauener, Sep 2, 2011.

1. jlauener

jlauener Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I got an idea about a company name, nobody seem to use it and I will buy the domain name for my website. But from what I heard this is not enough to register my company on the Apple developer program.

What do Apple require exactly? What have you done and how much did it costed you?

I'm currently living in Europe (Switzerland) and have a limited budget (yet ;)

2. executionunit

executionunit Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Indie Game Develoepr
    London, UK
    You'll need to be a legally registered company. The cost of this really varies across Europe.

Once you're registered Apple will require contact details and company registration details. They check the details your local officials (Companies House in the UK for example) and they call the contact number to verify you. I just gave them my home phone number as everyone in my company works remotely.

It is easier to register as an individual but then you may run in to personal tax problems.

3. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
    We had a fair bit of hassle, had to register as a limited company house, fax them through some proof (had to find a fax machine somewhere :p) and prove you have a company bank account as well :)

4. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

The fax thing is pretty weird, we also had to fax them, why can't we just scan the docs, or send an email!

5. executionunit

executionunit Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Indie Game Develoepr
    London, UK
    Yeah, the fax thing threw me too. I think I ended up just using popfax.com to send the fax in the end. God knows where there is fax machine near me!

6. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

Fax is seen as a legal document.. Old school

And don't include the word apple in you name or anything related to apple.. Or iXX

Even though there are a couple apple like names I.e. Red apple they don't like it any more

7. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm not sure of how companies are structured in the EU, but in Australia we have businesses and companies which a different.

Businesses can comprised in several different ways and even have multiple trading names.

I was able to use my business name when registering with Apple, it did however take a little bit of convincing and several phone calls :-S Persistence is king!