Total Eradication!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by undeadcow, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hey,

Is it mandatory that when users are suspended or banned ALL their posts disappear from public view? Sometimes it's confusing seeing half of conversations or mysteriously no trace of a person. Recently when one of the forums' most prolific posters was suspended it resulted in entire threads of popular games originating form that user disappearing; resulting in user confusion, duplicate threads, and general "chaos".

Curiously, isn't there a way to ban or suspend people but still leave their post history visible? I'd like to think that when I finally go down some footprint of my contributions, such as they are, would be left to nag people here.

If not technical limitations, is there any chance this could change?

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    May I ask who you're talking about?

3. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not necessarily one person; just the pattern that people seem to totally disappear when banned or suspended.

4. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I can imagine who you may be thinking of, if that's the case then it's only the posts deemed "inflammatory" that have been removed - all their threads and comments are still here thankfully.

I know I was banned at one point and therefore guilty of having my posts removed and I feel so bad about that so apologies to everyone I messed around when that happened. I'd have been more than happy if my (if any) useful posts were kept and my name/credit removed as the devs suffer with the disappearances.

I can imagine it would be a lot of work admittedly though

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    That's not really the case. Usually, when a user is banned or suspended, their history remains untouched. Especially the latter. It's in extremely rare cases (such as with the person you're most definitely talking about) that a moderator or admin has decided to wipe their history...for whatever reason they saw fit at the time.

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #6 undeadcow, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    Thank you, MetalCasket. I have noticed apparent total post history eradication in several cases (like PeteOzzy who has been prolific with new games threads [thanks btw], etc) so assumed it was universal, but it makes sense sometimes people can be suspended with history in tact and others can be disappeared.

Now... how do I mark this thread as solved?

[Please don't disappear me]

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Edit: misunderstood previous post, have to read more carefully