Rogue Runner - An endless run game gone rogue

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by glowdot, Sep 19, 2010.

1. glowdot

glowdot Well-Known Member

#1 glowdot, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    I'd like to announce my newest game, Rogue Runner. Rogue Runner is an "endless run" game inspired by classic military platformer/shooter games like Metal Slug.

Canabalt is great. Newer endless run games like Monster Dash have stepped it up by adding character enemies, guns, etc. I wanted to try to take it a step further. Two or three steps further actually.

You play as a soldier locked away in a top secret military base in the desert. After years of being experimented on and shaped into a super soldier by evil government agents and alien collaborators, you finally decide you've had enough. You hijack a prototype vehicle (either a jeep equipped with rocket boosters or a jumping tank) and bust out. All you gotta do is run as far away as you can, before the MIBs, aliens, UFOs and black helicopters can stop you.

Here's what the game looks like:

Feature List:
    ------------

• Vehicles - endless run AND endless drive!
    • Multiple vehicle choices -- Jeep and Tank, initially, with more to come
    • "Last Chance" mode - when your vehicle is destroyed, you'll pop out as soldier. Still armed, but more vulnerable.
    • Enemies that shoot back!
    • Air enemies (helicopters and UFOs) that you can fire targeted rockets at (by tapping them)
    • Completely randomly generated terrain
    • Kill enemies by shooting them, firing rockets, or stomping
    • Insane, movie quality sound effects
    • OpenFeint leaderboards, and in 1.1, achievements

The game engine is nearly infinitely expandable, and I plan on submitting a new update every time Apple approves the previous one. Each update will include at least one new powerup, new vehicle, new location or new gameplay mode, from my own ideas and ideas coming from players.

The first update, which will be ready submitted on launch day, adds three power-ups: invincibility, triple-bullet shooting, and a 1UP heart.

For updates and news about this game keep an eye on this thread, and also you can follow me on twitter @stromdotcom and subscribe to my youtube channel, also stromdotcom for new videos, etc.

2. glowdot

#2 glowdot, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Feature demo video (shot on iPad):

I'd also like to know, since I really can expand this game into oblivion, what other kinds of features everyone would want to see in an endless run game. I've crammed in a TON of my own ideas so far, but I really want to make this game HUGE.

So far the only thing I have that is on my to-do list is possibly adding a powerup that will turn you into a jet. Any and all suggestions and feature requests are welcome.

3. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    #3 doodlejumper, Sep 19, 2010
    When you combine military equipment, UFOS, and jeeps with unlimited gameplay and high scores what does it equal? Epic Win.

4. glowdot

#4 glowdot, Sep 19, 2010
    I submitted version 1 about 5 days ago, and apps are taking about 2 weeks to go through, so I figure it should be a little over a week until release.

Once that is approved and in the app store, I will be immediately submitting the first update with the powerups.

5. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Fantastic!

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Nice! Looking forward to this. Monster Dash gives me a headache (think it has to do with the foreground and background both being in focus, and with the speed) and frustrates me a lot (power-up placement and platform design are less than ideal). This game looks like it could be a better option.

Can't think of anything I'd like to see implemented, other than my standard request for an option to mute game music but keep in-game sound effects. Just eager to play it.

7. glowdot

You'll be happy to know there is no music in the first release of the game, for two reasons: first, I really wanted the sound effects to be the star of the show.

But second, and more importantly, I just think it's impossible to make music work on a mobile game. If the game is good, and you play it alot, it really doesn't matter how good the music is, it's going to get annoying after awhile. Unless you just do something very subtle and ambient, but that kind of music doesn't work well for a game where you are hauling ass and shooting aliens and helicopters from a jet pack strapped military jeep :)

So I might add it back in later (with an option to turn it off, of course), but for now, no music.

8. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009

Yes! These are my exact thoughts on the matter.

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Wow this game looks like it has alot of potential!!

10. Gunblade1190

Gunblade1190 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    NJ
    I'm loving all of the different takes on the run-as-far-as-you-can games recently, and this one looks like no exception. Definitely looking forward to this one. I love the sound of all of the updates too! Hopefully you can keep that going for a while while keeping it economically feasible. The last chance mode where you pop out of your tank and try to get even a little further, that is GOLD. I love that in the opening video, the character spawns back into the field and falls right into a pit, but you give them a second chance. Great decision right there to remove some frustration. Also, I love the graphics. Big fan of that.

The only thing that bugs me so far is the lack of music. I understand your stance on it wholeheartedly, but one of the things that still bring me back to play a few quick rounds of Canabalt and Robot Unicorn Attack is the great music in the game. Canabalt's three tracks are gold. RUA has a joke soundtrack, which makes it just so great. I rarely go back to Monster Dash because, well, I'd be lying if I said it was just because of the music, cause it isn't, but, if the music was better, if it really pulled me into the game, made me energized to play, I'd be firing it up far more than I currently do, as right now it's just sitting there in my "Runner" folder.

11. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    This game has a lot more than just potential. I have a feeling that it will surpass all other endless running games.

Good job Dev. This is the first endless running game that has gotten my attention, and in a very good way. :cool:

12. glowdot

#12 glowdot, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    I think that shouldn't be a problem. It's just me and the artist, so the most expensive part for me is the artwork. But I've set things up really nice where if I want to add new vehicles, new locations, etc, I can just drop in those graphics and there you go. My artist works really fast so we can do stuff like that on the quick.

I figure, as long as people are playing the game, it's worth it to me to keep going with the updates. I've always loved the idea of having a game that you can grow and nurture into something huge, and I'm really hoping Rogue Runner is that game for me.

There will definitely be music. Probably around the second update. The thing is exactly like you said: Canabalt's music works because it's just so good. I don't want to plug in some annoying song that gets old real fast. Not on this game, anyways. So I'm going to wait until I can get that perfect piece (or pieces) of music that actually adds something to the game.

But trust me, the sound effects really are awesome. There is so much going on there, I think you'll see that music would have a hard time fighting for attention.

Great! I'm so happy to be getting the positive response I have gotten from this game so far. Everyone I've handed the game to in the last week has said "wow, you've got something here." I can't wait for release.

I also did a TON of work on the promised first update yesterday. I added three powerups: a triple bullet fire upgrade, a shield that protects you from bullets and enemies (but not cliffs and/or falling to your death!) and a 1up heart. I fit those in so quick I might add a few more powerups today.

I also had an idea and jotted it down for probably the second update that is so cool. I'm definitely going to have lots of surprises in store for this game :)

13. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

This looks really good, I'll definitely get it as soon as it appears (UK app store). Just from watching the videos I thought maybe:

- Roadblocks (They always try to stop escaped experimental soldiers with roadblocks!)

- A player vehicle that is a kind of transformer robot, so you run (instead of driving) for a while, maybe have a vehicle that can transform when you tap it. I don't know how else this might work, just an idea I got within seconds of watching the first video - it seemed like it would fit with the style of the game.

- Some kind of boss enemy vehicle that gets dropped in front of you (by a big helicopter?) and that you have to chase and shoot for a while. It could randomly launch missiles, soldiers or whatever.

- Some other kind of boss (helicopter?) that flies between the foreground and background...?

I tried to keep the ideas sane enough to actually be possible within the limits of the game as seen in the videos. Sorry if they're just daft ramblings, I get excited easily :)

14. glowdot

Thanks for the ideas, Planetshooter!

Check this out... I had them in but took them out before the first submission:

[​IMG]

The problem was, it made things SO much harder because you either had to avoid them, and jump when you didn't want to and ultimately die, or smash into them and die. It was funny, the game went from "challenging" to "hellish". Maybe I should just put them back in as eye candy? So you can smash into them, but they won't hurt you. Or maybe the barbed wire ones do, but they appear really infrequently.

Yes! What about if the vehicle could transform into a jet for a limited time, as a powerup?

Love this idea. I could do it either as a boss in the game, or as a separate mode. So there would be an "endless run" mode, and an "endless chase" mode, where you just chase this guy, fire rockets at him, and try to kill him in the shortest time possible. In the meantime, he's chucking enemies at you and shooting at you.

Ok I think I'll try it that way first, that is such a good idea.

We've sketched out an idea that might be what you are talking about. I wanted to have a huge mothership UFO appear from the top, and sort of hover there for about 10 seconds. You have to fire 3 rockets at it to kill it. If you don't fire the rockets in time, it fires a huge laser beam at the platforms and causes the one you are on to crumble.

Anyway, I definitely like the idea of some sort of boss to break up the monotony, so I'll definitely be adding something like that soon.

ALso my artist is working now on the first theme for the game. One of the things I want to do is offer new vehicles and new locations/themes periodically. The first one is a Halloween theme. Everything takes place in a cemetery at night and the ground enemies are zombies :D

15. PureSkill

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    If you mean picking up jets that are strapped to a vehicle, making it a jet powered vehicle, as a powerup, then Yes, that does sound very nice!

I think it would be great to have a boss that you chase at the end of certain levels. It kind of gives your character a purpose to be running level after level. It would be like he is trying to catch the boss and it takes a few levels to do so. I think it would also give the game more of an arcade type of feel.

Hmm, I am not sure about this one, Something that powerful should take a life away, but it could be a good addition to the game.
    Themes are always a plus! especially if you can select them!

16. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Maybe add a cutscene at the beginning and little ones in-between level sets as a kind of campaign mode, and then a final scene.

17. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

This looks fun! :D

18. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    #18 TouchChatterbox, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    Not available in the Australian App Store :(

How about:
    - Occasionally, a transport plane driven by a mate will be your way out of a very bad situation. You must catch up in your vehicle and drive up the ramp while dodging enemy fire. This same plane then becomes controllable when you take over the controls (or maybe you choose to steer it or man the machine-gun nest on one of the wings). You build combos the longer you last. You then have to parachute out when it gets shot down. If playing on local Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, your mate can jump in as 2nd player to control this plane/the guy when you get shot down.
    - Liberating prisoners from terrorist/guerilla camps?
    - A powerup that brings a Monty Python-ish 'Presidential Hand', draped in the American flag, to crush the baddies
    - Belly dancer enemies that distract your hero & make his aiming go really bad
    - Camels with bulletproof vests
    - Powerup that turns you into an experimental government aircraft?
    - Care Package: A bunch of Red Cross care packages gets dropped. Baddies who rush to open them only to find they're either poisoned apple pies or the package is booby trapped.

19. PureSkill

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    What? :confused:

This game has NOT been released yet, it is still in development. I am sure it will be in the australian and any other countries appstore when it is. :)

20. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    #20 TouchChatterbox, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    I know that - since this is the Upcoming forum and all - I just wish this game was released :( I'm keeping a very close watch for this one.