Trademark Infringement

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by designxtek, Jul 18, 2011.

1. designxtek

designxtek Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2009
    3D Artist / Technical Artist / Web Developer
    San Diego, CA
    We were contacted by AMI Entertainment Network. They have the trademark "Photo Hunt" and our iPhone/iPad game is called "Photography Hunt" and "Photography Hunt HD". Their lawyer contacted apple and apple contacted me. Their lawyer says we are infringing their trademark due to similarity of the names.

I'm thinking the names are generic and that I'm not doing anything wrong.

Anyone out there experience this before? :-|

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    There have been a few topics about similar stuff in the developer forum... I think the usual answer is that it's going to cost you a lot more to fight the case than to change your app's name.

3. Mobigame

Mobigame Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 29, 2009
    Change the name if you can, for example Photography Hunter. But if you want to keep the name you will need a lawyer. Try to solve this issue quickly or it will ruin your moral. Good luck with that.

4. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah I was thinking of changing the name. I noticed "Photo Hunt" was just released by the other company this month. That is probably how they discovered my game.

If "Photography Hunt" is infringing "Photo Hunt" then would "Photography Hunter" do the same? It seems like a gray area. But then both words are spelled differently.

5. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I remember reading about Edge and the whole crazy trademark ordeal you went through.

6. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    How about going with a totally different name - something like Differences or What's Missing? :)

7. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    We changed it to "Picture Hunt: Find the difference"

We also have to update all of our website material and marketing materials