Fieldrunners 2 Strategies

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by explosive, Jul 24, 2012.

1. explosive

explosive Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    #1 explosive, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Fieldrunners 2 Builds & Strategies

I have put together a list of all my screens to help people out and encourage people to post theirs as well. Casual levels are done with early game towers that would be available.

Notes:
    - All levels completed without items apart from Turbo Dryer (optional 2 mines).
    - If you don't have access to Polymorph tower use Glue tower instead.

Elite Units List

Red Baron - Tangled Turnpike/Twist of Fate
    Flying Ace - Home on Derange
    Lt Sakai - Curious Gorge
    Night Fokker - Bizarre Bazaar
    Hindenburg - Cardio Canyon
    Zeppelin - Dryer Straights
    Legendary Panzer - Frying Pan/End of Doom
    Legendary Tiger - Ring of Fire/End of Doom

Tower Stats - By Adranus
    Cards FAQ

Grasslands

1. Twist of Fate

Casual

[​IMG]

Heroic

[​IMG]

2. Clonehenge

Casual

[​IMG]

Heroic

[​IMG]

3. Speedhenge

Casual

[​IMG]

Heroic

[​IMG]

4. Broken Branch

Casual

[​IMG]

Heroic

[​IMG]

5. Home on Derange

Heroic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Twisted Turnpike

Casual

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heroic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7.Tangled Express

Heroic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drylands

1. Bizarre Bazaar

Casual

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heroic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dryer Straights

Casual

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heroic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Cardio Canyon

Casual

[​IMG]

Guide is continued below!

2. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
  3. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    explosive,

I, too, have found wave 31 for Curious Gorge to be impossible to win without special item or airstrike. In fact, I think there is a bug in the hit points of the enemies in this wave. Compared to the previous waves and the same enemy types, the hit points was dramatically higher and completely outgun any tower you can have.

So far, I am beginning to think that this level is unwinnable using ONLY the default available towers (that is, no special high-power towers that you get by backtracking to play harder levels first to open up these extra weapons). I seem to recall that the developer has mentioned that the level is beatable with only basic weapon types.

Is this a bug?

4. explosive

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    #4 explosive, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Guide Part 2

Cardio Canyon Continued

Heroic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Curious Gorge - Tip: Save Airstrike for Round 31

Casual

[​IMG]

Heroic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New Version:
    [​IMG]

5. Turbo Dryer (Heroic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This can be done without items but I recommend having 2 mines just to be safe. The 3 key moments are using a mine on that single hovercraft, then again when the 2 tanks are together. When the 5 strong tanks come use your airstrike and you should complete it just in time.

Lavaflow

1. The Frying Pan

Casual (Toastmasters make Flamethrower/Pyro a bad choice)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heroic

[​IMG]

2. Ring of Fire (Heroic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. High Steaks (Heroic)

[​IMG]

4. Scrambled Eggs (Heroic)

[​IMG]

5. End of Doom (Heroic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hometown

1. Last Limbo - Final Waves

[​IMG]

2. Be Mine

Not my videos but youtube link for solving these. - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIuT3K67FC04wnG8vVZCxJQ

3. Mean Streets (Heroic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basically same strat as before only this time without upgrading the gatlings, get the 3 sparks down and continue the rest of the gatlings behind. Start upgrading the spark towers then get the next line of gatlings before putting more sparks down then simply wait till around 750 killed then call airstrike to finish up.

4. Hocus Poke Us (Heroic)

#1: Plant towers as followed with ones on left and right first.

[​IMG]

#2: Keep planting and upgrading gatlings when the boxes disappear to end up like this.

[​IMG]

#3 At round 18/19 you should sell one of the gatlings and get the flamethrower, the remaining waves is just upgrading the flamethrower and gatlings and placing more towers once more gaps open up.

[​IMG]

5. Carnie Guarding (Heroic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You want to plant #1 right on them to kill them first round(first screen) then next upgrade #2 both times. Plant the next 3 towers and upgrade them, once you have $60 place 6 & 7, and then after that 8 & 9 and finish by placing towers in remaining spots. (Credit to Spock for this strat)

Cards FAQ

Tips on how to complete the following cards/find specific units:

Itemized(Kill 10 units with 1 Item) - Clonehenge, use a mine on a big group.

Efficiency is Key(Defeat 10 rounds in a mission with no towers) - End of doom, enemies die from running in lava which means you only need a couple items for the last few waves.

Mr Money Bags - See screens page 16.

Minute Man(Complete a mission in one minute) - Clonehenge, place gatlings and spark at front until you reach the kills then sell the towers and let them through.

Heavy Transports - Frying Pan

Hazmats - Mean Streets

Bad Day Blimps - Curious Gorge/Dryer Straights final waves.

5. Sheapy

Sheapy Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Heroic Tangled Express
    [​IMG]
    Easy stage once you obtain the Shock tower. I leaked 3 Super troopers at a sliver of HP because I saved up $150 and was too lazy to drop another tower. The Plasma tower was unneeded as well. A laser tower was probably better suited. Can perfect this easily once I revisit this stage.

Heroic Curious Gorge
    Lieutenant Sakai appears on this map and comes from the top left spawn. I did not kill him with this setup
    [​IMG]
    This is a maze where Ice towers shine. My placement basically perma-slowed any units in the maze (something Oil can't do) and allowed my Shock/Pyro towers to do work. Make the Tesla towers at the top and bottom first to deal with the Helicopters. The two Teslas on the left part of my maze were created at the last wave to deal with the Blimp since I had $300+ saved up. The Ice tower on the bottom right is needed to slow the Helicopters around wave 40 I believe. Had another shock tower above the bottom one, but resold it for a Pyro. If the zerg waves leak, make more Shock/Pyro/Ice. If something big leaks make Teslas. I leaked the first couple of air waves and had no trouble after that. Never used the flamethrower so I might swap that out once I revisit this. Save air strike for round 31. The runners that wave are on god mode or something

Initial Heroic The Frying Pan
    [​IMG]
    First try of this map and first time use of Mine tower. This map is all about your maze. The red spaces on the map also deal some damage to the runners. Since the entrance and exit are so close you don't have to worry about air units. I sent the runners to the left and made a U-turn path of Shock/Ice. Tesla tower near the end to deal with the tanks that get through. I leaked 2 early on cause I was mazing instead of upgrading. Can perfect this easily on a second try

Revisited Heroic Cardio Canyon
    [​IMG]
    Quite a hard map even with Shock and Ice towers. Most of my leaks were from Helicopters so if I tried this again I'd focus more on Teslas instead of mazing or a couple of shock towers.

6. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #6 y2kmp3, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
    Can you show the layout you used to win this level on casual with DEFAULT towers (with NO replanting, of course) and NO lost of lives and no use of special items or airstrike? With airstrike, yes, it is doable, but I want to play a truly "perfect" game without using these powers which, according to the developer, is supposed to be doable.

7. Sheapy

Sheapy Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    I'm pretty sure it is a bug. I remember having to call an Air Strike cause the Super troopers were barely damaged after halfway through my maze. The next time the Supertroopers came, they were decimated before they even began the second stretch. I didn't upgrade anything in between the waves except bottom and top Teslas to deal with the Helicopters.

Which stages are you looking for? And can you say what the default towers are? I forgot when Hive, Oil, Laser, Plasma, and Tesla were acquired.

8. explosive

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    This is the best I could do with the earlier towers, had no choice but to use airstrike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After trying that level a few more times it looks like your right about them being bugged round 31, I will send a pm to the dev guys.

9. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks so much for the confirmation. I am relieved that you find it to be impossible without airstrike. If this turns out to be true, that I am just mad that I wasted all these times solving a level that cannot be solved. :mad:

10. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#10 Habakuk, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
    All those levels on casual with default towers only (tried to make the later screenshots with the little arrows marking the track visible—btw this works in pause mode).

Speedhenge:

[​IMG]

Bizarre Bazar (description here):

[​IMG]

Curious Gorge:

[​IMG]

Dryer Straights:

[​IMG]

Cardio Canyon:

[​IMG]

The Frying Pan with heavy tower replacing (described here), I lost the hearts in round 50 or so and lived with the three remaining hearts for the rest of the game (this level has no enemy air traffic):

[​IMG]

Ring of Fire (okay two non-standard towers if I remember correctly, it was easy, saved all hearts):

[​IMG]

11. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #11 y2kmp3, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
    Setting a standard what is considered good strategy

It is great to see this community pulling together to help each other out with this challenging game.

To this end, I want to propose that we set a STANDARD to what is considered good strategy. This is inspired by a statement previously made by the game's creator that the game is supposed to be BEATABLE on casual level WITHOUT use of any special items, airstrike, and specialty towers.

Here is my proposal what is "IDEAL" or "GOOD" strategy:

For casual, tough, heroic:
    1. No loss of any lives.
    2. No use of ANY special items.
    3. No airstrike.
    4. No hack (obviously).
    5. No backtracking by playing a level (including endless mode) multiple times to earn more stars to open up towers. In other words, each level is played once and once only.
    6. No selling/replanting towers (known as pingponging) *NEW* (27/6/2012)

For casual, in addition:
    1. Use only standard towers that are gained by playing all previous levels at casual level only.

For tough, in addition.
    1. Use only standard towers that are gained by playing all previous levels at tough level only.

For heroic, in addition.
    1. Use only standard towers that are gained by playing all previous levels at heroic level only.

I think, by following these proposed standards, we can filter out many of the less optimal strategies and focus on only the good strategies that we can then all share.

What do you think?

PS: An example, I have already figured out such strategies that obey the above rules for casual for these levels: Meanwhile... (tutorial), Twist of Fate, Clonehenge, Broken Branch, Home of Derange, Tangled Turnpike, Dry Run, Bizarre Bazaar (yes, this one too), Dryer Straits.

12. AtomicAlec

AtomicAlec Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Hey there! Just talked to the designers and they did notice that there was a huge difficulty spike on wave 31, so that's a bug. We're adjusting it now and it'll be fixed for the next update. Sorry for the inconvenience! We really appreciate you letting us know about this issue.

Let me know if you guys find any other problems! Thanks!

13. Sheapy

Sheapy Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    The heroic timed run called scrambled eggs had an added 0 to the amount of units needed to be killed. 3000 in 5 minutes is kinda...

14. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thank you, AtomicAlec!

It is such a pleasure to have a responsive developer who listens to the community and is not afraid to admit mistakes (and willing to correct them). This is very admirable. Congrats on a great game release!

15. explosive

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    #15 explosive, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
    Bizarre Bazaar and Dryer Straights (Casual) No Lives lost and airstrike unneeded.

Edit: Moved these screens to original post, and yes no items!

16. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Nicely done! I presume no items right (can't tell because the icon for special items disappears when they are all used up)?

17. ScottyF311

ScottyF311 New Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Would you mind sharing some of these strategies? I, for one, and extremely stuck on getting through Broken Branch with little to no casualties, and I'm just playing on Tough. No shock or ice yet...

18. explosive

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    #18 explosive, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    Finally did that pain in the ass mean streets!, also I encountered the panzer and tiger on frying pan/ring of fire.

See original post for the mean streets screens.

19. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Explosive,

Have you found a way to solve Frying Pan using the pop-up tip to "split" the troop in half and send them to fire? I have tried many variation to force a split, but none works.

What does the tip mean anyway?

Both your solution and my solution are still essentially single path.

20. explosive

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    I think by split it's talking about the start and exit point in the center, so you would have towers separating them so they go bottom left and through the fire although it's better this way because they get destroyed by pyro/spark.