LucasArts the latest casualty of Disney's LucasFilm acquisition

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by tygamr, Apr 3, 2013.

1. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    LucasArts is no more. All staff were laid off, and development on all projects has been cancelled. All future Star Wars games will be licensed to external developers, and the LucasArts name will be used to license those titles. Star Wars 1313 and First assault will likely never be released, according to Kotaku's source, which is a shame, because they both looked like very promising games. A very, very sad day.

The death of LucasArts is yet another casualty since Disney acquired LucasFilm. What do you think of Disney's management of their new property?

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It's not April 1st any more...... :(

Hm. I thought only EA did this?

3. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    EA hasn't gone to this level though. They've acquired studios, only to shut them down- which does suck, but not entire companies, and projects which were either finished or about to be finished, and in the works for years.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Sad day in gaming history.

5. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
  6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed. I have fond memories of Loom and a bunch of other LucasArts adventures. Hell, Jedi Outcast is still one of my favorite action games ever, up there with Max Payne.

Then again, it's been many years since LucasArts released a worthwhile game. The new SW game looked amazing, and perhaps it would have made for a comeback, but I'm sure that it was also a huge financial gamble. Business-wise it makes sense to allocate resources towards something tha more of a sure bet like Disney Infinity.

Not sure if this is a "Disney sucks" story.

7. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Nooooooooooooo. If only Disney could think D:

8. That means no Battlefront 3, right?

9. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Yeah I agree its a shame considering their long history. That said by opening the door to 3rd parties hopefully we can see a few more quality attempts to capture the Star Wars magic. With the output LucasArts has had in the last 5 years I wouldn't be surprised if Disney has decided to clean house and re start the direction of digital avenues for the franchise.

10. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    It could happen still. Just means that an external company is going to have to develop it as a licensed game. It isn't clear whether they'll publish games themselves, and license the Star Wars IP to developers, or if they'll just license the IP to a publisher and have them publish whatever game(s) they make.

11. The publisher will be Disney in the end...they own the company

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    20 years of Star Wars games... and only about two worth playing. Au revoir, LucasArts!

13. There are multiple Battlefront and Rogue Squadron games, you do realise?

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yup. Played 'em. Battlefront should have kept going, but instead LucasArts decided to suck.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Seriously ? The first Rogue Squadron ? Dark Forces ? All the point n click games, they did do a fair few good uns

Whats a shame is these old games could now be sat there gathering dust forever after, the second someone tries to release a port of it Disney will obviously stop it, just a shame these games will just gather dust.

Hope i'm wrong and they re-release some old classics on iOS as they would work very well, but i reckon they'll just totally disappear forever

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    LucasArts did some decent point n' click games (although it's not my genre at all), I was really just talking about great Star Wars games. I mean come on, they're called LucasArts, it's like the "You had ONE job!" meme could be applied quite appropriately to them.

17. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #17 Aventador, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    Battlefront, Star Wars : Empire at war, Jedi Knight : Jedi academy, Rogue Squadron ( on N64 and Gamecube ) are my favourites ones. Well at least there is high chance of all older LucasArts games being released on iOS market now.I would give everything for Star Wars : Battlefront with multiplayer on iOS devices;)

18. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    I want my battlefront 3 now, dammit! Lol

19. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Okay, so the way that this sounds is that they are no longer developing games internally, but they will publish games using the LucasArts name for licensing. Games like KotOR, SWtOR, Battlefront, Jedi Knight II... All of those were developed externally, and just published by LucasArts. So, we may still get good 'Lucas' games.

20. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    You know, now that I've had some time to think about it... Disney isn't stupid. They like money just as much as anyone. I'm sure there was a good enough reason to split up an entire development team.