Starting from the bottom

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Yourplague, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Yourplague

Yourplague Well-Known Member

May 7, 2012
    Cant realy say i am game developer(yet), more like a gamer who has decided to make his ideas come to life.Ive decided to create a game for myself, only i havnt the slightest idea on the process. Im curretly studying script(still rather new to it) and working on my gfx(im rather decent with pixel art but thats about the extent of my artistic talent).Granted i still have a long way to go before ill be ready to make it,and i dont want to get to far ahead of myself.But i want to know what i need to get and what i need to know in order to get the ball rolling.So if anyone could show me where to find info on these things or provide info yourself, itll be much appreciated.
    -Thanks

2. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    Hello Yourplague,
    Do you already have some of your game concept and design planned out? A bit more info about what you're creating might help folks come up with some of the technical recommendations you may be looking for. Good hunting my friend!

3. Yourplague

May 7, 2012
    Not much, im limited to pixel art so im thinking until i can get the hang of it imma make like hardcore gameboy-ish games.By hardcore i mean rather gory and serious, not cute. They will probably be erm "heavily inspired by" games i grew up playing as a child. Such as the legend of zelda,Final Fantasy,Pokemon,etc. But in my own style.Ive started writing a plot for a zelda-ish game and have dabbled in designing some monsters but thats about it.Been more focused on studying script atm to be honest.

4. Wizardo

Wizardo Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    For my next game, it looks like I'll be programming it myself. I've decided to use Unity because of it's awesome cross platform capabilities. Unity just included some sweet 2D tools too.

I'm teaching myself by going through this tutorial. It seems like Unity is pretty friendly to non programmers like myself and there's tons of help and information available online.

5. Yourplague

May 7, 2012
    Thanks alot for posting and the link.Ive been giving it alot of thought and i think ive been approaching this the wrong way. Theres no way i can truly make my game come to life trying to make it entirely by myself, especially since im inexperienced in everything. So imma focus on becoming a programer for now, once ive learned how to do it, imma offer my services for free so i can gain experience.And try to make connections on the way so i can eventually put a team together myself.

6. RaindropGames

RaindropGames Active Member

I highly recommend starting by making really small games. Learning the programming side is a good idea, understanding how your game works is very helpful in the long run. Initially you don't need to worry about art, you can find cheap (or free even) placeholder art online.

I also recommend Unity, it's been great for my purposes.