Big plea to other developers.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Really getting tired of other developers writing fake one star reviews. This crap doesn't help anyone. It simply decreases the overall effectiveness of the stores.

Yes the store is very competitive but this trend his hurting everyone.

2. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Don't worry about it, I'm sure it's only developers that read them anyway.

Most just go with the overall score which is actually the best thing to do to weed out the idiot posts.

3. Syndicated Puzzles

We build mainly Mac Apps and reviews are deadly important on that platform. A new app that has a review telling people not to buy an app because it will harm their system or it will slow their system to a crawl tends to kill downloads in a hurry. Apple has helped us remove the really nasty ones. The bad reviews are timely and placed with precision.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    how do you know its a competing developer?

if you have any proove just sue them and be done with this.

i recall you had this problem before (or still) where you had some review battles with someone else..

then of course i wonder whats the point if posting this here?

touch arcade a gaming focussed ios website is surely not the place your fake review writers frequent often?

5. mapacible

mapacible Member

Feb 25, 2012
    #5 mapacible, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    hmm, i dont think you can assume that everyone will like the same things equally. different strokes and all that. just because someone gave you a 1 star doesnt mean its a developer that's out to get you. there are many kids out there who would 1 star something for many ridiculous reasons.

6. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I agree completely, I think there's some paranoia here.

Our games have 4.6 average, almost exclusively 5 or 4 stars. Yet there's still a few hundred one stars, most of which sound like they're talking about a different game.

It would be easy to discount that as hate from other developers, but I think there's a number of explanations:

1) Some just don't like the game type and mark it down as one star despite it's obvious not-one-star quality. This isn't really fair but it's a fact of life and we just have to suck it down. I think this is going to be the largest proportion by far.

2) Some people just can't resist ignoring the massive amount of content and presentation and design and etc and find one thing they don't like, but can only see 5 or 1 so choose the 1.

3) Net hate. Some kids just get off on giving one stars and bad reviews just to feel big and clever.

4) Some percieved slight. For example, we've had "the developers don't respond" comments when in fact we spend a lot of time doing exactly that to everyone. Your mail got spam filtered? Use proper punctuation, grammar and capitalisation with no net speak and you'll get heard!

5) A tiny percentage might even be from underhanded competition. But if the product is any good these should get drowned out in short order.

Remember, the wording isn't right. These are not "reviews" they are almost always one line comments based on personal opinion. Still valuable, but you will not get a fair hearing if someone has decided they don't like your product for even a tiny reason.

7. Syndicated Puzzles

No Paranoia,

Single reviews that basically attack the functionality of an app. Additionally telling people not to buy and how badly the app made their system crash or behave etc,. Very organized reviews that hit at the core value of the app No on else but a developer would take the time and be that specific and aggressive. The contact at Apple removes them without hesitation. The timing when these reviews appear is for me an absolute give away as well. As soon as an app starts to climb the charts a well placed one star review appears.

Almost every Mac App has these type of reviews if the app has competitors. It is blatantly obvious which reviews are placed to hurt sales

8. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #8 Rubicon, Jul 1, 2012
    This sounds bad, but tbh if a one star user review has that bad an affect on your app sales, I think the problem's either with your app or your marketing tbh.

As I said above, we get "this app is wank" frequently. Still selling though.

9. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    #9 PikPok, Jul 1, 2012
    We've had this before, in particular with the developer of Kick Flick Soccer, Kevin Ng, writing 1 star reviews against Flick Kick Football multiple times.

Pretty easy to tell when the "reviewers" in question have a 1 star scathing reviews of our game recommending his game and 5 star glowing reviews of both his games only. He could at least have gone to the trouble of reviewing some random games to mix it up a little more.

I got halfway through writing him an email before I decided it wasn't worth our time.

10. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

I agree. I've looked through the Mac app store and it is loaded with junk. Same stuff you see on iOS - little single-function apps, wallpaper programs, alarm clocks, coffee break reminders, pencil sharpening reminders. Things that may be fine for a phone, but not really for a computer (in my opinion). Who wants a hundred little crap apps and icons scattered about their computer?

It's obvious that many developers are pushing out quick sell items one after the other - key word being 'obvious'. In fact, in another thread I remember you (Syndicated) saying that you had to release two apps a week to make any money, and that you had over 60 apps there already. I think that's part of the problem. Everyone's looking for a quick buck, which makes the Mac store less attractive to consumers.

As far as fake reviews go, I can see how a one-star review could hurt you when you only have 3 or 4 reviews in total. The Mac app store doesn't sound like a good place to be, and I feel like I've stepped into a ghost town the few times I've checked it out. :)

11. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well the biggest problem of the mac appstore is indeed that its mostly junk..

to distance yourself from your competitors you need to step up the game of keep selling 1$ app no one really needs.

then of course if you get into that junk category of quick throw away app developement where quantity is the driving fore and not actual usability & quality then thats a difficult turf..

like a catfight between two streetseller who feel their turf violated since the other guy is also sellig the same or similar fake designer sunglasses.

i think releasing 2 apps a week is hurting the market more than bad reviews who punish thoose.

not sure why people buy such shovelware anyway.. sadly apple does not impose some sort of quality standards in their app stores.. like amazon on android does.. or steam on pc.. this would actually help the market because you would at least throw half of the stuff thats on there..

forcing devs for a bit of quality offerings would be good..

12. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    I could not agree better with you up to this point:
    I don't know whether you are involved in iOS or Mac app development, but Apple does impose strict quality standards.
    Besides, bringing the Android app market as an example for quality apps is at least controversial. Google does not even have an app review process in place yet...

13. Syndicated Puzzles

This idea of slapping together an app and throwing it up on the Mac App Store is a myth! Building Mac Apps especially with Sandboxing and all the new requirements for Mountain Lion make the development on this platform very tough. Almost every single Mac App we build gets rejected the first time around, even when we follow templates that we have created to build from.

We have built several massive Mac apps like Contact book ,Lock Screen, Signature, Tube HD, App Zap and the reality is without the smaller apps on the charts constantly reminding users that iLifeTouch even exists makes it tough to scratch out a living.

We have gone from one person part time to a staff of 14 in a little over a year. Now we have to keep motoring just to meet payroll. Even our X Tea boy has a mac mini and is not to happy when the devs. ask him to make tea.

14. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #14 mr.Ugly, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
    apple does not impose quality standards, they dont care if you release a product that is complete and utter rubbish.. their guidelines are mostly technical, so i dont see your point.

you can create the wors looking , worst playing game ever.. as long as its technically clean apple does not care about quality at all..

since when do they reject because of actualy product qualities?

as for android.. yes i think some quality checks are important.. not to mention that google play is full of aps with spyware, malware and dubious way to empty your credit cards..

i still think some quality standards would help.. both sides..customers and developers..

customers because they are more unlikely to pay money for utter rubbish

and developers to step up their game to a certain quality standard..

of course this would be a huge task for apple and the size of the appstore would be much smaller but it would be of higher quality.. but then of course apple does not really care.. because every junk app makes the store bigger and the number they can PR with becomes bigger..

i still think a more stricter review process would benefit the market..

tiny wings would still come through.. but kiddos fifth image slider puzzle would not ( but apple already is a bit stricter about too similar apps)

its not like apple would not have the ressources for that.. but there would be no benefit for them.. since they earn the same percent from junk as from quality offerings..

*shrug*

edit: as a sidenote i find it funny that the op moans about fake bad reviews when pretty much all of his offerings are full of fake positive reviews.. or thoose handfull of people are diehard fans of the dev and like to buy all their apps and rate them good.. funny.. what a weird coincidence.. *cough*