Tile Artist - drawing app for iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ruiznick, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ruiznick

ruiznick Active Member

Hey, I just released "Tile Artist" for the iPad. This will help you create tile sets but you can also use it to draw anything. You can also import and export in PNG format so you won't lose transparency.

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. ruiznick

ruiznick Active Member

I could really use some feedback so here is some promo codes :p

I noticed that on ios6 the color dropper/picker wasn't working because the glReadPixels function needed PreserveBackBuffer blah blah blah. Anyway, I submitted an update for v1.0.1 that same day, should be approved in a week. The ability to pick colors is very essential because it can be very difficult and frustrating trying to guess a color with color sliders. So, if anyone could give me feedback I'd appreciate it, thanks.

AXA4REKLHMLT
    YE4MT4HNFFKE
    FTTHYJLPHAXT
    M7L9F6JM4TKT
    HPRWTMWWHNNN
    LRWH4JPAN7EH
    J6LHM964L6XW
    PPJTEKKME6T9
    L7EJX9TTMWYR
    H7W6JXT6P9J9

Code expires on
    Fri Nov 02 20:31:14 PDT 2012
    and is redeemable only on the iTunes Store for United States. Requires an iTunes account, subject to prior acceptance of license and usage terms. To open an account you must be above the age of 13 and in United States. Compatible software and hardware, and internet access (fees may apply) required. Not for resale. Full terms apply; see www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/. For more information, see www.apple.com/support/. This app is provided to you by
    Nicolas Ruiz Jr

3. Bigperm9

Bigperm9 Active Member

Jun 12, 2012
    I just saw this as I was getting ready for bed, and I went ahead and used L7EJX9TTMWYR. I'll rate it in the store, probably tomorrow, and let you know how it is. Thanks for the code.

4. Bigperm9

Bigperm9 Active Member

Jun 12, 2012
    I wrote an iTunes review, but my iTunes is acting up right now and won't let me post it. Here's what I had to say:

It's not really for people who are looking to make masterpieces. That being said, it shows great promise for simple doodles and sprites. It's got a very pixel art feeling to it, and thus makes nice looking sprites. It could do with some instructions on how to use the color picker or things of that nature. Also, the zoom function doesn't feel natural. It starts very zoomed out, and you have to click buttons to zoom in and out. I feel like zooming could be made easier on a slider or using the pinch methods. With a bit of polish I think this could be popular.

I'll try to post it in iTunes later. I really like it. I'd give it about a 3.5

5. ruiznick

ruiznick Active Member

Thanks, I was aiming for pixel type stuff or even to use to touch up any png files in a pinch. I agree with you about the zooming function, I had to put some certain constraints on it. You think it would be better if the zooming were on a slider but had markers/notches for zooming level. For example |---|---|---|---| each mark would be a certain zoom level. It wouldn't have "fine" zoom but I think being able to slide across would be more natural.

Yes, instructions about the color picker would have been smart. Mainly because its one of the most important functions. Being able to quickly switch between colors doesn't slow your momentum and the app doesn't get in your way.

For those that may not know, to use the color picker, you have to drag your current color over the canvas and release. You will see a preview of your selected color in the color window. To save a preset, drag that color/swatch over your canvas as well. Note: Currently color picker doesn't work for ios6, please give it a few days for the apple to approve the update.

6. Bigperm9

Bigperm9 Active Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Yup, I definitely think the notched slider would be more natural. I'm absolutely loving the color picker. Being able to save differ colors palettes is absolutely wonderful. Question: the selection tool can grab pictures and move them, but how do you get it to place the image in the new spot? I can drag the image around, but I can't place it in its new spot. The moment I click something else it leaves the new placement and I'm stuck with the original picture.

7. ruiznick

ruiznick Active Member

Ah, I'm sorry that the selection tool wasn't more intuitive. The way to use the selection tool is to make your selection, and begin moving your selected piece as you have already discovered. To place it, you have to tap anywhere within the canvas (excluding your selection). This method allows you to make quick selections and move pieces quickly while the selection tool is active. Tapping the selection tool or any other tool will cancel your current selection.

8. Bigperm9

Bigperm9 Active Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Ah I've got it all worked out now. So nice. I've made a little character and everything. I noticed some issues, when undoing the last stroke it has a tendency to erase some of the image itself. The border to my person kept getting erased when I used the undo and also when I moved the image. Not all of it was affected and sometimes it lightened the color as opposed to erasing parts. With a few tweaks this app could be amazing. It's perfect for making sprites. Keep up the great work.

9. ruiznick

ruiznick Active Member

Was this happening with a transparent background? I noticed when dealing with transparency and the undo function that the image wasn't exactly the way it was before. But I haven't noticed it in any other situation, so please let me know. I might have to modify the way the undo works later.

Oh, btw, the precision tool can greatly help with pixel art. You can freely draw with the inner circle, or move the tool with the outer circle, but you can also move the tool in straight lines if you grab the arrows and drag. The tool gets locked horizontally or vertically depending on what arrow your on.

10. Bigperm9

Bigperm9 Active Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Yup the transparent background is what's doing it. Also, the precision tool is an absolute must have. It works wonderfully.