So why haven't Harbour Master Devs been sued by Firemint

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by facepickle, Jun 28, 2009.

1. facepickle

facepickle Active Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am thinking of making a game similar to Harbour master, won't I get sued?

2. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

no. Thats like saying there can only be one FPS on a console and one rpg and one rts. You can make same genre games.

3. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Flight Control isn't the first game of this genre. :rolleyes:

Also wrong section this should be in General Game Discussion and Questions.

4. facepickle

facepickle Active Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ahhh thanks dudes, pretty new to all of this stuff! sorry about the wrong section!

5. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    That's like asking, "Why hasn't Nintendo sued everyone else that made a platform game?" Harbour Master is a different game than Flight Control. It's similar, but there are differences in the play mechanic (as well as the setting, graphics, sound, etc). In addition, it's not like Harbour Master is based on a reverse-engineered version of the Flight Control software. Now, if that were the case, then Firemint could go after the Harbour Master devs.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

6. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    It doesn't matter, although a lot more people are going to flame you...

A lot of people will just think that Harbor Master is a copy of Flight Control and that will make it have lower sales than it should. In my opinion Harbor Master is a lot better than Flight Control.

7. facepickle

facepickle Active Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Yeah I love Harbour Master, in fact it's the inspiration for be becoming a dev (got alot to learn first!)

8. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Funny Fact: The Harbour Master developer forced another developer to remove a "copy" of one of their word games some months ago.

9. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    No offense to the people who made harbor master, but it is very similar to flight control (I have both) and it came out whilst flight control was up high in the 25. Because of this they don't deserve as many sales, mostly due to timing. Now I'm not saying HM or FC are brand new concepts but it appears HM was trying to ride on FC's success.

10. facepickle

facepickle Active Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Yeah see this is what worries me, if I made a Harbour Master style game they'd sue me right?

11. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    Not unless you use their graphics or steal their source code, those are copyrighted. You cannot patent an idea either, only a technical solution.

12. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Didn't know that; what game came before it?

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I think, the true rip-off is the one with controlling the taxis.
    They even stole the style 1:1! This is very brave...

14. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    That was about 7 months ago and they settled it. The developer of Harbor Master (Imangi Studios) said that it was their first game and they didn't know the full way the App Store worked back then. Read the whole of this thread if you want to find out what happened.

15. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    MrSnap (some one on this forum) posted this link of one of the original games in this genre:

http://www.sonicpowered.co.jp/bokukan/

Flight Control was the first one on the iPhone though.

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Imangi (the devs of Harbor Master) gave some guys from firemint a personal demonstration of the game at WWDC. This was before the game was approved by Apple as Harbor Master was submitted only a day prior. The guys from firemint didn't have an issue with it.

Someone referred to Imangi trying to get another app off the appstore. This was because the other was an almost exact copy of their first game and priced cheaper. They had been making games for all of a month when this happened. They learned later that certain things in video games can not be copyrighted. Though it should be noted that the game in question was still removed.

Harbor Master isn't a copy of Flight Control. It's the same genre of game and uses a similar art style but that's it.

They wouldn't sue you for making a game of the same genre because they now know the copyright issues with video games. So unless it was an exact copy you would be fine

17. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Facepickle, glad you're enjoying Harbor Master.

Please feel free to expand on the traffic control genre, as we have. If you want to see a pre-Flight Control game in the same genre, check out Air Traffic Controller - ATC 4.0 (Lite version here). It's a great game that's been around forever, but Flight Control made the graphics much more sleek and modern, and made the controls completely intuitive to use, which drastically improved the game.

As long as you don't use our name or assets, please develop away - we'd love to see what you come up with. This is a great genre with plenty of room for more :D

18. wiesse

wiesse Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    What about a NFS vs Real Racing lawsuit? heh...

19. facepickle

facepickle Active Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Hello, thanks for the reply, I would never dream of using your name or assets, and I have along way to go to ever compete with your masterpiece!

But it's really reassuring to know that big devs like you have that attitude, and with I that wish you great success (although I think you've already got it!) with Harbour Master!

20. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

flight control has been in the top 25 for like 2-3 months. basically since it was released and it will be there for a lot longer. So your saying they have to wait 6 months until its gone. Thats just stupid.