Which one game from Bigh Fish? +lots of sales

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by ramzarules, Dec 31, 2014.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    so today i noticed A LOT of Big Fish Games went on sale. If i would only get one game to try them out, which one would you suggest? Are they all hidden objects? I would like one which is adventure/puzzle solving with an occasional hidden object, but not 100% hidden object.

Other adventures i have liked: Escape from Laville 2(creepy), Journey down (fun), Detective Grimoire and Nightmares from the Deep 1-2 (detective/magic mystery).

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I guess my first BIG question is - You do realize that NONE of the games that mention above are published by Big Fish?

My comments - Big Fish has some excellent games - but they have so many different developers it can be really hit or miss on whether the one you purchase you will enjoy. I think that my overall favorite over several years of playing these has been Drawn: The Painted Tower, although I also found Redemption Cemetery : Curse of the Raven, Death at Fairing Point, and Otherworld : Omens of Summer all excellent Hidden Object / Adventure type games. I would say that I like to have HoG / Adventure ratio probably from 60 - 70 % hidden object, and 30 - 40 % adventure if that helps.

The Midnight Mysteries series by Mumbo Jumbo is also a lot of fun and engaging. If I had to pick one - the Salem Witch Trials I thought was the best of them.

G5 Entertainment (publisher of Nightmares of the Deep) also has quite a large selection of these HoG / Adventure and quality wise I think that they are making better ones than Big Fish these days, and it does not hurt that their sales are typically $1.99 for the iPad version (iPhone is typically $0.99) rather than Big Fishes' discount to $3.99. Again - G5 has dozens if not hundreds.

Alawar Entertainment also does these types and they have many good ones as well - my favorites being the "Snark Busters" series.

Hope this helps and happy to answer questions. I am quite the fan of these games and have way too many for my wallet's sake.

Oh, you did not mention, but I am basing my experience from playing on an iPad - I find the HoG parts to be frequently overly difficult on the iPhone due mostly to the smaller screen size.

3. orton1227

orton1227 Active Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Look for the titles developed by Artefix Mundi. Probably not spelled that way but it's close. They are by far the best developer.

4. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Pluto and Orton, thank you both for your replies. Yes, i realise none of the games i mentioned are by Big Fish, and i don't know teir style, thus i ask about their Hidden object / Adventure puzzle ratio. They seem interesting, but if they are mostly Hidden objects, i will not buy them.

G5 games i like, because while they do have some hidden object (and you can replace it with Mahjong), they only use hidden objects once in a while, mostly relying on puzzle adventure.

Pluto, are the Drawn: games mostly hidden objects? i LOVE the artwork in them. And what about Nick Chase: A detective Story?

5. Tanc24

Tanc24 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2012
    The drawn series are not hidden object games. They are puzzle adventures, and they are great. I would recommend all of them highly and they would be my first choice of any big fish games!

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Agreed, although I have not played the 3rd one. I liked the first one the best, although the second in the series is also excellent.

Nick Chase has a lot more hidden objects in it. Hard for me to judge what is "too much" hidden object as I tend to like those more.

Since you like adventure / puzzle, you might want to consider the developer Telltale Inc. They have quite a number of games ranging from Monkey Islands (and don't forget about the original Monkey Island series published by LucasArts Inc). Some of their more well known titles include The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Wolf Among Us, etc. They don't have any HO in the games but are great fun. Or, you might want to consider Broken Sword series by Revolution. Also a great puzzle adventure series. I can't remember, it might have some HO in it, but if they do, it is not a lot. Much more puzzle, figuring out clues, etc.

7. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap, i played telltales Walking Dead on the pc and i liked it, but more traditional things like monkey island and the above games is my preference :)

Thank you very much, from your reply it seems like i can enjoy the Drawn game, it seems really magical :) And happy new year to you all!

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Happy New Years to you as well, and I think you will like the Drawn games quite a lot. Let me know how the third one is, I seem to recall it having mixed reviews from people that played the first 2.

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Are the Drawn games similar to Fetch?

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I never played Fetch. Drawn games are sort of adventure / puzzle / hidden object. At each scene, there is typically a puzzle or 2, and you need to figure out what the needs of the area is in order to advance to new areas. The world is seen through "your eyes" and the player does not move. Much like typical point and click type adventures there is a fair amount of going back and forth from different areas remembering what objects were there. There are various puzzles that get unlocked that are mini- game type puzzles.
    Hope that helps. I don't write prose well.

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Thanks Pluto, your prose is good

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Thanks. I almost flunked "Subject A" which was what my college remedial English class was called way back when. I write research papers well though.