Dark Nebula - Episode Two

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Hejden, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hejden

Hejden Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    #1 Hejden, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009
    DarkNebulaEP2Logo.png

It's official! We've teamed up with Outbreak Studios to make Dark Nebula - Episode Two.

http://www.outbreakstudios.se/news.php?id=11

GOTHENBURG, Sweden October 29, 2009 - Peter Björklund, the CEO of Outbreak Studios announced today that they have signed up with 1337 Game Design to develop the second episode of the game Dark Nebula for the iPhone and iPod Touch. The first episode of Dark Nebula was released on Apple’s App Store just two weeks ago and has already become a bestseller in many countries. Some reviewers have even named it the best game released for the platform to date.

"At Outbreak Studios, passion and creativity is central in everything we do, and when we decide which projects to get involved in we only work with clients that share those values. We love what 1337 Game Design has done with the first episode, so we’re very excited to take things further with the sequel. We also prefer to work with projects where we are as close to the end consumer as possible, and Dark Nebula is perfect for that." Peter says.

Dark Nebula was designed by Anders Hejdenberg, a game industry veteran who has worked with Peter Björklund on numerous games before.

"We’ve promised our fans to make the second episode much longer than the first one, and we’ve promised ourselves to make it just as fresh and exciting gameplay-wise. By signing up with Outbreak Studios we feel confident that both those promises will be kept. I think it goes without saying that we are extremely pleased with this collaboration." Anders says.

The work on the second episode has already begun, and the title is planned to be released early next year. Before that, an update will be released for the first episode with Facebook-integrated highscores and a calibration option for the controls.

About Dark Nebula - Dark Nebula is a skill-based action game where the objective is to get your player character through an array of levels filled with various obstacles. The controls are similar to marble labyrinth games but the levels are filled with elements and puzzles inspired by platform games where you need to jump over swinging blades, dodge spikes and avoid deadly falls.

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    WooHoo! Totally loved the first episode! How much longer will the second episode be? :p

And how about a social network for the leaderboards instead of FaceBook?

3. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    great news! but what is outbreak studios? what are the advantages of collaborating with them?

Thanks!

4. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

Dark Nebula is fun and extremely unique. Very happy to hear the game will be extended and the devs getting the financial backing and horse power they need so they can focus on making another great episode.

5. Hejden

Hejden Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Prab: I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "how about a social network for the leaderboards instead of Facebook". Could you elaborate on that?

Sic: Outbreak Studios is a newly-started company founded by some really experienced game developers. Working with them allows us to get more features into the game within the same timeframe, and fresh perspectives in the creative process.

Riveronfire: We are definitely getting more horsepower! Just to clarify though, Dark Nebula is still financed by 1337 Game Design - which in turn is financed by game sales of Dark Nebula - Episode One.

6. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    OpenFeint, Plus+, AGON. Online Leaderboards, friends, chat, etc.

7. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Yes, any of those would be nice. Is episode two going to be a DLC?

8. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Oops, okay, on hindsight that sentence sounds weird since Facebook is a social network. lol

I meant: how about integration with Plus+, OpenFeint, AGON, etc, to handle your leaderboards (and optionally achievements)?

9. Hejden

Hejden Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    The second episode will be available as DLC.

Regarding leaderboard integration, our plan is to host the leaderboards ourselves so that everyone has global ranking. If you have facebook you will also be able to compare your score with your facebook friends.

We've been in contact with Openfeint, but quite frankly they take a ridiculous chunk out of your profits if you want to use their service.

10. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Really? I was under the impression that the service was completely free to use...

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    no i dont think its free, but i thought that they only took a fairly low percentage of the profits..

12. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    They're lying when they say this then:

Source: http://openfeint.com/developers

13. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
  14. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Oh drat. Hosting your own global leaderboards seems more reasonable then.

15. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    yeah, I thought OF was free to the developers

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Didn't a devoper post that Apple takes a percentage which can go to people like OF/+/AGON, but it's taken whether or not you use it?

So OF isn't really free, but it kinda is from the developer's perspective. I bet Apple just pockets the money if you don't use it...

17. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    ok good ur talking about what came to my mind.
    i think ur right tho, that makes sense

18. Kikekun

Kikekun Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    I really thought Dark Nebula was awesome. Really impressive and enjoyable game, so an episode two is good news!

19. themendoz

themendoz Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I'm really happy for you guys, you listen to your fans anf I'm sure it'll keep paying off.
    if open feint charges a ridiculous amt of money, I understand why you would avoid it, but could you check with Plus+ too? I know many of us don't use facebook integration with our games (although it is better than nothing).

20. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    I'd like to be happy about this but honestly I'm still not pleased with the meager amount of game play in the current episode. Great game but many other great games out there with 5x as much game play.