Explodables is coming soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by frankthechicken, Jul 19, 2011.

1. frankthechicken

frankthechicken Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2011
    #1 frankthechicken, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    I'd like to introduce a new game that I've been working on, Explodables:-

The tralier:-

Gameplay (no sound)

ipadsun1.png

expchase1.png

exppretty1.png

ipadstarrace1.png

explodablesfinalsplash1024768.png

expprettycoin1.png

The game is a high score, explode the rockets, get as high on gamecenter leaderboards as you can type of game.

There are many and varied ways of achieving a high score, but the best way is to build combinations of rockets, so you can gain multipliers, chain multipliers, visit other worlds, zoom across the landscape, visit black holes . . . .

There are special types of rockets, with catherine wheels and rainbow stars.

The video is from one of the later levels, and I'm not playing too well, as I'm used to having two fingers, rather than one mouse.

*** SIMPLE BREAKDOWN OF GAME ***

As I understand the game is a little different from the usual iOS fare, I'll explain in detail what typically happens in a game.

At the beginning of a round, you are given the bonus combination to make.

In this case, the order is blue, red, green.

If you explode the rockets in this order, you get more points.

If you explode each rocket in the combo in it's own coloured zone (i.e explode the blue rocket in the blue zone, then red in red, green in green) you create a "Perfect Combo" which gives some stars.

If you create enough stars, you gain a bonus multiplier.

If you then repeat the Perfect combo, but move the bonus multiplier to each zone you create the crowns.

If you gain six crowns you enter a bonus stage.

Another way to gain points is to explode five rockets of the same colour in the same zone (i.e green rockets in green zones) in quick succession, which creates a heart.

Collect four hearts, and you enter a different type of bonus level.

Essentially the game is a high score type of affair, with lots of different ways to increase your points tally. For instance, when you touch a heart, the crowd appears, which doubles your point scores whilst they are cheering.

Explodables is integrated with Gamecenter (as can be seen at the end of the video). With achievements, and high score tables(currently sixteen).

*** DEVELOPERS RAMBLINGS ***

The video has been really badly compressed by youtube, I have the original 1.5 Gb version, but have been unsuccessful in getting it onto a site in its unpixellated glory, I'll upload some pictures later to show how Explodables looks without compression effects (it looks a lot cleaner).

There's also no sound to the video, as the Simulator doesn't agree with how I've programmed the sound in, maybe it just has good taste, but it resolutely refuses to play any sound. But trust me, there is music and noises, and explosions going on, just let your imagination run free as you watch the video.

I'm in the last few days of tweaking, and getting the game ready for release.

It currently runs as low as an iPod 2, the video is a little jerky mainly due to the screen recorder (I think), if anyone can recommend a better one, I'd love to hear suggestions.

I've just noticed in the video there are a few things that need changing, for instance the Bonus Multiplier looks a little too distracting, with its constantly pulsing white rings.

Need to tone that down a bit.

The background planets, when you're in space need more circularifying.

Anyway, I love the game, and I'm really proud of it.

I still enjoy playing and testing the heck out of it, for me it's a great combination of speed of thought and speed of reaction.

If you guys have any questions, suggestions, etc, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Frank The Chicken

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Most interesting game with the worst description by the dev, EVER.
    I finished reading the whole post and did not understand what the game is about, nor did the video help explain any of the gameplay to me.

Anyway, the ridiculous amount of explosions and fireworks just did it for me... Good lord how many EXPLOSIONS are there??? I'm pre-ordering this game (got any betas going on?).

Coming back to address my first paragraph, what's the gameplay about?

3. frankthechicken

Jul 3, 2011
    Most interesting game with the worst description by the dev, EVER.
    I finished reading the whole post and did not understand what the game is about, nor did the video help explain any of the gameplay to me.

I apologise immensely, I was typing in the description whilst watching the video and thinking what looked wrong with it. (I'm hyper critical of my own stuff).

The gameplay synopsis:-

At the beginning of a round, you are given the bonus combination to make.

In this case, the order is blue, red, green.

If you explode the rockets in this order, you get more points.

If you explode each rocket in the combo in it's own coloured zone (i.e explode the blue rocket in the blue zone, then red in red, green in green) you create a "Perfect Combo" which gives some stars.

If you create enough stars, you gain a bonus multiplier.

If you then repeat the Perfect combo, but move the bonus multiplier to each zone you create the crowns.

If you gain six crowns you enter a bonus stage.

Another way to gain points is to explode five rockets of the same colour in the same zone (i.e green rockets in green zones) in quick succession, which creates a heart.

Collect four hearts, and you enter a different type of bonus level.

Essentially the game is a high score type of affair, with lots of different ways to increase your points tally. For instance, when you touch a heart, the crowd appears, which doubles your point scores whilst they are cheering.

Explodables is integrated with Gamecenter (as can be seen at the end of the video). With achievements, and high score tables(currently sixteen).

4. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    The game has too much going on, Well as far as i can tell from the video.

5. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Now I'm definitely buying this game... beta? Beta?? BETA??? (I want to play this game RIGHT NOW!!!)

SENSUAL OVERLOAD!!! Exactly what I'm after :D (not an adrenalin junkie though...)
    On the contrary, I would request a more hectic mode with more rockets and more stuff going on!!! (ever heard of Red mode for Tilt to Live?)

6. frankthechicken

Jul 3, 2011
    This is where the fascinations of a developer begin, is there too much sensory overload, or too little?

From looking at the video, I may tone down the sun coins (the coins that appear with rays coming out), and certainly the bonus multiplier (I was trying to convey the Bonus multiplier was at a higher power level, and yes there are certain RPG elements, i.e. you can increase the strength of your bonus multipliers, move the stars to where you are touching etc), but maybe it is too distracting.

And I love Tilt to Live.

7. EnShinNoi

EnShinNoi Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    #7 EnShinNoi, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
    Quick, someone call an ambulance! I'm having a seizure!

Not keen on the name Explodables, I think Splodables is a lot cuter/catchy.

8. frankthechicken

Jul 3, 2011
    I might run into trouble if I called it Splodables, is it too similar to (Ms) Splosion Man?

Still, I like the name.

Thought I'd show a design for the logo, and see what you guys think.

ei2114.png

I've tried to get a higher definition video up, but youtube is taking a while to upload.

I'll post back when I can show it

9. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Add some Gloss to the logo :p

10. EnShinNoi

EnShinNoi Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    No, if it's not trademarked then it's up for grabs.

I like the layout but there's not enough differentiation between the back/mid/foreground.

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  12. frankthechicken

Jul 3, 2011
    Well you could certainly play like you were a Fruit Ninja on crack, though you may not get too far up the high score table.

There is more strategy involved, and far less fruit.

I'm trying to work out why my movies are being compressed so badly by youtube, just tried uploading a 720p version, and there are still loads of artefacts on display.

I've uploaded these two pics until I can get the HD movie up and running.

exppeace.png

expbusy.png

13. Blown454

Blown454 Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    I thought by watchng the first video, sensory overload for sure as well. Not sure how it plays but this is one game I hope you have a good beta team that can give some feedback before adding to appstore. I believe that'll make/break the game in this case as it seems outta control from video! Now with that said, I still like what I see (I know, I'm contradicting myself a bit), it definitely has potential of being a very cool game for sure!

Just get some good, unbiased beta testers to help fine tune things and I bet you will have a hit! I also believe a small but experienced beta testing group that is active with ideas and discussion for fine tuning will be a major help! It looks like you played with a mouse for video purposes, playing on idevice will be different play I imagine, I am curious how that'll translate. I am thinking it will be a tapping frenzy type of game....

14. frankthechicken

Jul 3, 2011
    The game plays a lot differently on an iDevice (did I mention it's universal??).

I've designed the rocket displays to give both thumbs a need to be there.

However, it is not a finger frenzy, as there are always times when you will need to wait until a rocket enters the correct coloured zone before triggering the explosion for maximum points.

The addition of the bonus multiplier requires you to move it around the screen, to line up with rockets to gain even more points, and reduces the fingers of fire mentality even more.

There is also the ability to move stars to where you move your finger, which can then be used to create a combo chain.

Basically I've tried to add a great deal of variety to the play, so it is not simply a finger masher.

According to Youtube, the next video will be uploaded in 445 minutes, so I think it might be a good time to remove myself from this chair and head to bed.

15. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

#15 nikhsterboi, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    Threw in some gloss on one and then that + a border on the other to show you what it would look like.
    BTW, feel free to use them for the final, although I probably don't have to give you permission since it's your icon in the first place. ;)

Attached Files:

16. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    For me... it's too little (just saying because I'm always ready for more :D). Oh and any possibility for a 'Red' mode? :p
    That icon looks wayyyyyyy too generic. I seriously wouldn't even bother clicking on it if it was put on the app store... Perhaps adding some explosions would help 'enhance' the visual impression of the icon.

17. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Frank, do you have a time frame and price? Looks like your close and it looks great! Good luck!

18. frankthechicken

Jul 3, 2011
    #18 frankthechicken, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
    CygnetSeven, the game will be submitted in the next week, after a few graphic and gameplay tweaks.

Initial pricing will be 99 US cents, or 69 pence depending on your currency, and is Universal.

And, now as promised, a link to an HD version of the gameplay video

Well, as HD as I could get it.

I'll be producing a trailer shortly.

Gunxsword, I experimented putting explosions in the icon, but they always seem to lose their impact, b;ur together, when shrunk to a small size, though I'll keep experimenting.

19. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    An instant purchase for me Frank! Thanks for the info, and good luck with the submission!

20. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Hope I don't get those "this item is being modified" messages the piss the #@%! out of me :D