How long before my IPad 2 becomes obsolete?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by LostInBlue, Aug 1, 2012.

1. LostInBlue

LostInBlue Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Some games require newer hardware to run, I was curious if anyone had a projection of how much longer the IPad 2 can be relies upon to run all games that come out, as the iPad no longer can. I just bought my iPad 2 last year, and was a little unnerved to see the iPad 3 come out so soon afterwards.

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Probably won't have to worry about that until the New New iPad comes out and Apple does refreshes every year, not sure why you didn't see the iPad 3 coming.

3. bluegate

bluegate New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Social Media Coordinator
    Jakarta
    it's already obsolete, i think
    at least here in Indonesia, where iPad 3 hasn't even been sold (officially)

4. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    It will never be obsolete.

5. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    it will take about 5 years

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    When the battery dies is the truthful answer, right now I'd still class it as apples best tablet and there are some rumours the iPad mini will share the same specs.

7. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    The original iPad is starting to look a bit creaky now but iPad 2 is still pretty strong for games - it was a major step up in power.

It's gonna be a long old time before anyone dare try to sell something that won't run on iPad 2 or older.

8. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    ftfy

9. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i would not be to worried about the ipad 2 becoming obsolete any time soon. look how long the ipod 2 lasted. i consider the ipod touch 1, and ipad 1 sorta the same.. introduction see if it would sell. then the next version was improved. from what iv seen of the ipad 3. it aint worth upgrading too.
    id wait till the ipad4 comes out before id be concern with it being out dated.

now of course. it depends what you do with you ipad. for me i do not use it for games for the most part. i use it for the utility ( guitar stuff 90% ) software. and i do not see it becoming obsolete in that department for a long, long time.

chris.

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    5-7 years is probably a worthwhile time frame to look at. Depends on your needs. I have a palm pilot 12 years old - still works fine. iPod (for music only) 10 years old - still fine.
    For "computers" like the iPad, the new software will not work well at some point as it will expect higher hardware levels, bu the stuff you have now will continue to work for years and years until the battery dies, or some other aspect of the electronics die.
    You should expect new hardware on an annual basis, or sooner. It's the only way for companies to remain competitive.

11. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    LostInBlue, consider this:

The iPad 2's specs were a pretty big leap over the iPad 1's, it can handle a lot more. The iPad 3's specs are larger, but for the most part any improvement in the CPU, memory etc. over the iPad 2 is used up with the retina display. Some games, notably N.O.V.A. 3, actually disable some of the advanced graphical effects when they are played on an iPad 3, because it can't draw enough pixels for the retina display AND achieve those effects at the same time.

In fact, a lot of benchmark tests show the iPad 2 to actually perform BETTER than the iPad 3, since so much of the iPad 3's power is used up by the retina display.

The iPad 3 is also thicker and heavier than iPad 2, something Apple always try to avoid, so the iPad 4 is likely to put most of its focus on becoming lighter and thinner again and dragging that battery life out a bit longer.

If the rumoured iPad Mini turns out to be a real thing, likely it'll be iPad 2's exact specs and resolution, and games will have to be built to run on that too.

So I wouldn't expect many games which can't be run on an iPad 2 to show up for a very long time, since in many ways it can achieve MORE than the iPad 3, and most iPhone 4S-designed games can be run on iPhone 4 so likely it'll even survive a while when the iPhone 4 shows up. The iPad 1 was a bit of a 'beta test' in a way, it was somewhat unfinished, and much too heavy and thick to be practical for what it was intended for, so the iPad 2 showed up so quickly afterwards to fix a lot of its flaws. You have a pretty damn worthy tablet, I'd think it's got some longevity in it.

12. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Could you try ANY harder to make the new iPad out as a complete failure.

1. Games that run at the same resolution or somewhere in between iPad 2 and new iPad will utilise remaining power of Quad Core GPU.

2. PC games have long had the trade off between full resolution and amount of effects on screen. NOVA 3 is no different on the new iPad to trying to run Crysis 2 on your PC. Do you want it to look sharper? You'll lose effects. Do you want the effects? You'll need to tone down the resolution. We're talking double the pixels here ffs.

3. The new iPad weighs 0.11 pound (0.51 grams) more than the iPad 2 (1.33 pounds vs 1.44 pounds. In comparison, a one pound bag of sugar is around 454 grams, yet you make out the weight difference to be huge.

4. The new iPad is 0.37 inches, with the iPad 2 being 0.34 inches. Let's put that in millimetres ... 9.4mm vs 8.8mm, 0.6mm thicker. Again hardly a mammoth difference.

Your tone suggested the new iPad was akin to the original model in terms of weight and size in comparison to the iPad 2, when the difference is negligable at best.

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Retina did really hurt the new iPad in my opinion, there no denying it has a monster GPU but it's in general doing four times the work of the second and it's only really double the power.

It could be twice as capable of course if developers use it at the same resolution but then Retina has a habit of looking blocky where other screens don't.

I'd personally rather have a 2nd myself as I've never been impressed by the Retina claims but then again I still think the screens whatever the res just look worse than OLED ones.

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    An interesting discussion in the last 3 posts. I like the iPad 2, but I enjoy the iPad 3 as text is so much cleaner. It is the only lit display that I enjoy reading text on, like books, articles. The iPad 1 and 2 I would suffer through, but printed material wherever I could to avoid the screens.
    I guess I don't play too many games like Nova 3 - I am more a puzzler / thinker gamer anymore. My twitch reflexes have slowed.
    But things like real racing 2 look phenomenal on the iPad 3.

Anyways, as far as topic goes, all hardware is generally 5-7 years max, and more likely 2-3 years before folks start looking hard at the new stuff. Being able to afford it is something else entirely. Mostly just sigh, and use it til it breaks, and then get something new. :p

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I recently bought a new iPad and man, I'm glad I did. I don't care what's going on inside it, every app and game I've tried so far has performed brilliantly. I can't compare it to the iPad 2 as I come from a Touch 4th gen background, but I know gaming and there are no issues to worry about in my experience. I'm sure it can be a pain in the ass for developers to work around the restrictions, but what the end user sees is nothing less than a marvel. Needless to say, I love my new toy and I'm never going back.