Delay Quantum Collapse to include Skirmish mode?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JavierDavalos, Jun 7, 2009.

?

Delay Quantum Collapse to include Skirmish at Launch?

1. No, Release it now and update it for Skirmish within a week

46.4%
  2. Yes, No skirmish mode at launch will give you bad reviews.

53.6%
  1. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    With the recent release of 2 other RTS games i noticed that lots of people complained about no Skirmish mode and for some that was a deal breaker.

I believe Quantum Collapse has great replay value even without Skirmishes since the missions are so ridiculously varied. Still, since day one i've been thoroughly looking at defects in Quantum Collapse trying to have none and avoid bad reviews.

I would like to submit Quantum Collapse to Apple tomorrow and keep working on Skirmish for an update that should be ready in about a week. But i'll leave this up to you guys.

2. nic.

nic. Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Malaysia
    Release it as planned and immediately announce upcoming update for it.

3. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Yes, but then you will have a lot of people who will likely say, I'll wait for the update when skirmish is included. Then when the skirmish update comes out, those people may have moved on versus buying the game.

While it means a delay, I think you should include that mode. The next update will then just be bug fixes and such instead of including something some people will say it should have had from day one.

4. MyLilPWNY

MyLilPWNY Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    i would wait and make skirmish mode cuz people will just be saying stuff like ill wait for update or would buy then give bad reviews

5. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Release it now, and promise a skirmish mode asap. Maybe offer it at a slightly discounted price too, until the update. Then people will be encouraged to buy it early, to benefit from the free update. A similar strategy was very successful for iDracula

6. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    I think that might be the thing to do.

I mean it's a hard choice, piss off skirmish lovers or piss off people who expect to be playing the game very soon.

7. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    That's true. But I think by releasing early and promising an update, you can get the support of both. No sensible skirmish-lover is not going to purchase the game just because they have to wait a week or two for their favorite feature to arrive. Just make it really clear in the app description that the update is on its way :)

8. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Release it now and get the skirmish update out ASAP. I might just be speaking for myself, but I generally like to play through some of the campaign to get used to the different units, buildings, and controls before starting skirmishes/multiplayer battles anyway. I'm assuming that the campaign will slowly introduce units and buildings. That way, you don't have everything thrown at you from the start, thus overwhelming you.

I think the problem people have with the other RTS games and a lack skirmish modes is that the developers haven't even commented on whether or not they'll be coming or they have promised them (A LONG TIME AGO) and have yet to delivery. If you're seriously committed to putting in a skirmish mode, explain that in detail. Then start delivering updates quickly to build people's confidence. I'd say that among the people here at least, you've established yourself enough that we'll believe you that a skirmish mode is coming.

Just my opinion, though.

9. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009

Yes, the game introduces units at a great pace and gives you plenty of instruction on how to use them.

10. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    well i said wait. i mean skirmish is essential. but i would say yes then sumbmit it tomorrow with a discouted price so loads of people buy it then when u update it raise the price. an RTS game is kinda no way near as good without skirmish...

11. MyLilPWNY

May 18, 2009
    actually i think you should do the idracula thing the other guy mentioned

12. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    Alright then that's how it's going to be.

The game will be submitted tomorrow and will sell for less than the other top RTS competitors (that don't have Skirmish or multiplayer in the first place) and then when the update comes i'll match their price.

13. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Good move. Maybe by the time it is accepted you will have the update ready. Apple has been taking their sweet time lately.

With that said I will wait for a skirmish mode haha.

14. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    Yeah that most likely going to happen.

I've been an RTS fan for a long time, i understand why you guys want skirmish so much but playing through the game is really a blast. If you buy the game and just jump to skirmish you'll be missing out a lot, all of the super weapons and super units for example, they are so much fun to play with, but would be extremely unfair to have them in any kind of skirmish or multiplayer match.

15. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

Out of all the RTS games coming in, this is one that I’m watching.

It depends on how long it will take for you to implement the Skirmish mode. If you honestly believe it will only take a week, delay it. A week or two is nothing. Don’t fell forced to releasing the game in a rush just because the other companies are already out with their RTS.

No matter how many there are, RTS is a genre. People will keep buying it if it’s good. It’s not the bad review that you need to be concerned of. Few days after the release is the game’s premium moment. And you want to have enough people during that time to buy your game so they can help you to put your game into the top list, where visibility will no longer be a concern.

So, just do the assessment yourself. If you think the game at the current state, without skirmish mode, will appeal to enough people to land your game into the top list then release it now. Otherwise you know what you need to do. The case with iDracula, I don’t think it really applies to your situation here.

Also, you need to take weight of what Coral just posted :)

Whatever your decision, good luck with the game. Regardless, it will be a day 1 for me.

16. ballistic

ballistic Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    this really is a hard decision, but if you do it right(now that i really think about it) you could pull off releasing it without INITIALLY having a skirmish mode. One thing to really consider is- does your game have a lot of play besides skirmish to hold ppl over? Thats what really is killing rise of lost empires, besides them not even announcing that a skirmish mode will be available soon.

In my lowly opinion, if there isn't a skirmish mode initially you could release it if you

discount the price and make it seem like you did it on purpose to give them a deal
    announce that it will be available soon,
    and, obviously, have good gameplay in the initial release

17. MyLilPWNY

May 18, 2009
    Awesome cant wait fir this game especially with the skirmish mode which the other rts games are lacking

18. DonD_GT

DonD_GT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    I think you're best off putting skirmish in or as you predict, your early ratings will suffer and even if you add it later, you may have already lost your early customers.

19. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Hi Javier I just wanted to say damn this game is fun and hard. I am drafting my report to you now ok? And also no bugs found even when my memory is low. People this is the best RTS you can buy trust me :D

20. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    Randomdude is the best tester everrr. he spend 8 and a half hours testing around 60% of the game yesterday and earned his place on the credit screen:

[​IMG]

There, now everyone knows your name :p