New IPad: Who here HAS or HASN'T upgraded ipad2?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cabdog, Mar 19, 2012.

1. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Howdy!

I am an avid gamer, and this new iPad is really eggin me on to buy it. I have an ipad2 right now.

Can anyone please share there thoughts on why they did (intend to) upgrade from their ipad2 or why they didn't (won't)?

That screen is on my mind constantly when playing these cutting edge games of late, and I don't want to upgrade, but man...

2. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I upgraded because I have to have the latest device. All the retina games work well except for galaxy on fire which seems to lag a bit. Real racing, modern combat 3, and air supremacy all run great.

3. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I've got an iPad 2, and I'm not planning to upgrade. The iPhone 4 has been out over a year, and yet there are still games being released that don't have retina graphics, and there are lots of games that haven't been updated with retina graphics. Most non-retina games look worse on a retina screen than they do on a non-retina screen. I imagine it will be the same with the new iPad, there will be many games that don't support the new screen.

4. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I have the iPad 2 And I love it.I just got it for Christmas. I will upgrade in Two years. The new ones I wil not buy any way until they make sure there are no bugs that need fixes. THis one works fine.

5. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Don't upgrade to the new one if you have the 2. Wait for the real 3 in a years time.

6. kujen

kujen Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2012
    #6 kujen, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    I have the newest iPad and it's amazing. Not only do the updated games look amazing, but my iPhone games look great and not blurry like they are on iPad 2 (they look as if you were using the RetinaPad app)

7. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    It's not the same. Everything looks great, whether it supports retina or not; nothing is blurry like you would see on an iPhone 4 or iPod touch 4. If that's the only thing keeping you from buying the new iPad, go ahead and buy one. I would recommend you skip a generation, as a general rule. Unless money's burning a hole in your pocket, of course. ;)

8. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    I sold my jailbroken iPad 2 on CraigsList for 480 and got the new iPad for 499, was an easy decision to upgrade for me. I really like the look of Order and Chaos Online on the new iPad but it needs to be optimized for it.

9. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    What is this rule; is it legit? What is the theory behind it please?

10. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    what a deal!!!!

i guess i will keep my ipad2 untill the next update, like triggywiggy said:
    to be frank, apple is upgrading its products way too frequent!!

11. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I'm very comfortable with my iPad 2. I do plan on getting the next generation after the HD though. Upgrading at that point would make more since to me because hopefully by then, the hardware and software will have a more significant impact in justifying the purchase (i.e. when I upgraded my iPod 2G and iPhone 2G to 4G's...the difference was pretty significant overall and was well worth waiting). I still have my fingers crossed that Apple makes a slightly smaller version of the iPad. No complaints for the time being. :)

12. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    It's going to take more then Retina updates on old games to get me to pull the trigger on that. So, Gameloft is going to provide Retina to a few of its back catalogue games. And Real Racing 2 or Galaxy on Fire 2. These aren't exactly new games. Infinity Blade 2. Whatever. A piece of tech like this should last 3 years. Not 1. Typical Apple. 100 billion dollar empire built upon nickel and diming their customer base to death at $500 a pop. In one sense, it's a shameless ploy. In another sense, it works. The same could be said for Freemium gaming.

13. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    I did not even get the original iPad. I will probably get the iPod Touch 5th gen

14. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    I agree with the "skip a generation" rule. I've got an iPad 1 and no iPad 2, and didn't feel terribly compelled to upgrade throughout the 2's run. For the most part, not enough changes with each gen to be worth all the cash of buying a new iPad (as with most Apple products).

15. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I skipped a generation as well before upgrading to iPad 3. I've certainly not got the cash to keep up with yearly updates and when you do eventually upgrade the updates are more significant I feel.

16. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I had an ipad2, gave it to my son and bought the new iPad. Will pass that on to my wife next year when I buy the ipad3 and so on.

Just love having the latest toys!

Jamie

17. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    I didn't upgraded,and won't in the future.Retina Display is too little (as new addition) for me to buy it.Staying @iPad 2 :D

+ the new iPad gets alot warmer (~5C),and needs way more longer to charge it.

18. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    #18 abstractgamefreak, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    100% agree. I'm definitely not going to upgrade from my iPad2. When I watch 720x576 DVDs on my 37"TV, I honestly ask myself, whether I really need 2048x1536 on that small display. Will upcoming games be more original and immersive because of higher screen resolution? Or is it just to silence those Android fanboys who critizised the 'outdated graphics' when the iPad2 came out last year? I won't edit my jpeg images on the iPad either. LTE doesn't even work in my country... Now, if Apple had spent money on developing a nonreflecting screen instead of shelling out bonusses to their shareholders, that would have been a selling point to me ;)

19. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I'm buying it next week (maybe). Imo they should make an iPad one year, then an iPod/iPhone, then an iPad again.

20. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

I personally have an iPad 2 and I got two of the new iPads in for work. Screen aside, its really hard to tell a noticeable difference in devices. I can count on one hand the games I know that are taking advantage of the increased power of the iPad 2. It's going to be a while before games start doing likewise with the 3. Also, the new iPad is thicker and heavier and don't think that that doesn't matter to me. I don't take pictures often with my iPad 2 so the camera isn't that important. I don't see any compelling reason to shell out that much cash for a new one. I'm skipping a generation for sure. If I didn't have an iPad though or had an iPad 1, I'd definitely spring for the new iPad.