Amazon Fire TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ibMurph, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ibMurph

ibMurph Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    So Amazon just announced their new TV streaming box today and I hate to say it but blows the current Apple TV out of the water. Here's hoping Apple is right around the corner from announcing their own upgrade, one that can actually play games and has a dedicated App Store, or they soon find themselves falling way behind.

Here's a pretty good article explaining the new Amazon Fire TV:

http://gizmodo.com/amazons-fire-tv-everything-you-need-to-know-1556889628?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29

2. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    And they've hired Kim swift and some guy who worked on far cry 2 for their amazon game studio thing. Amazon is really trying to get decent games... Though whether they'll succeed or not is another question.

3. ibMurph

ibMurph Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    I don't think many people have bought Amazon tablets for games, so I don't think there will be mass appeal for the Kindle Fire TV for video games per se, it's more of a bonus. Regardless, Apple has been so slow to embrace gaming and it's a shame they weren't first to debut such a device.

4. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Spec-wise and price-wise this seems to be quite the device. However, from what I understand, XBMC isn't natively supported; but once someone finds out how to get it working, I'm pretty sure I might need to pick one of these babies up.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I don't really care about playing games on one of these devices, but the fact that it is fast to start up netflix, etc, that is highly appealing. Right now we have an Xbox 360 upstairs and it takes SOOO LOOONG to power up, login and finally start the app. So if this starts up and plays quickly, that will be great. No funds in the budget for it, though, so I wait.

6. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Another interesting feature is that if you buy a game from the Amazon Store for an Android tablet (and the game is also compatible with the FireTV) you won't have to buy it twice. Sound cool. I'm really looking forward to put my game Animal Battle on the FireTV.

7. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I wish Apple would hurry up with the likely game-centric Apple TV. Amazon's game selection for Kindle Fire is awful compared to iOS.