"OMG, I had no idea this was in the app store!"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Chocolate, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Have you ever accidentally come across a game in the app store that you love, but previously had no idea was there?

Earlier I was thinking about two of my favorite old adventure games - Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2. Then I came across a thread on a gaming site about old adventure games, and someone mentioned that the Simon games could be played on iPhone. I was like: :eek::eek::eek:

Next thing you know, I'm on iTunes, and both Simon games are there, and on sale for $2 each. Bought! :D

Anyone else with a similar story to tell?

2. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    Nope

3. RoadRunner123

RoadRunner123 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Actually this just happened. Just saw Metal Slug in the app store. Buying it now :p

4. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metal slug must have been PUlled before cause I just saw it and looked for it before. There is also desert slug. Are any of these two games worth getting cause reviews aren't favorable for kettle slug and it's 5 bucks.

5. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Oh and it happened to me recently with pandemonium.

6. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    flood it 2, frict

you can find some surprises while aimlessly clicking at the "people who have bought this also bought" apps at the bottom of each app page.

7. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    I wanted Bubble bobble on the iphone...now I have it...and I don't like it

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I almost get moments like this on AppShopper.com occasionally.

I track all of the incoming games OBSESSIVELY and usually dozens of times a day...so then when I see an update to a game that I never knew existed that I would have snagged instantly on release had I known about it always deeks me.

Even more painful are when I find out about some game here at TA that never even showed up in AppShopper (that clearly isn't ALL powerful).

9. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    a long time ago..civ revolution

10. hesty

hesty Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Los Angeles
    @RoadRunner123

Curious to hear what you think of Metal Slug Touch.

Was one of my favs in the day, saw on App Store with some less than stellar reviews so I was turned off from the purchase.

I DO want to have that on my iPhone though... Would be glorious.

11. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Tesserae but it's because I haven't it since a long time so it was cool to discover it on iPad. In general it's more "I had no idea this was in the app store". I mean no "omg" because I noticed many but didn't care that much, but could buy few anyway.

12. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    came across the boxhead game was like YES :), then i bought it and, well its not that good

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    To take this on a tangent...any of you fellow compulsive app hoarders?

What I've had a few times which is almost embarrassing is snagging and installing an app, completely forgetting about it, and then discovering on a search for another app on my device months later only to THEN realize, holy crap, this is a cool game (well, yeah, there must have been some reason you got it to begin with, right?)!

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I kinda did this with the Starball 'preview' :eek:

It released, TA'ers went nuts over it, I had been playing it the entire time, went to review it on iTunes and... I didn't own it. :confused: Took about 40 minutes of back tracking to realize I was running a beta/preview copy. I had even posted questions about it thinking it was the released version...

Went and bought it straightaway. ;) Only game I'm willing to accept the word "addicting" in description of (most overused term in the AppStore today!)

The game that completely flew under my radar was SJ's Sorcery! book 1, which appeared and even went on and off sale once before I saw it. :eek:

Looking through the "Customers Also Bought:" can be very dangerous! ;)

15. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Crystal Mines i used to play that game a lot on my old Atari Lynx

16. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I hadn't known about the Grimson Gem Saga port till I caught it on appshopper for the 4.99 sale.

I had lamented being unable to play the download I had gotten for my now-sold PSPGo. Suddenly I could play the same game for $5 on a device I always carry. It was a ZOMG moment :D

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I've played 1/6 of my games on the iPod.
    Out of 224.

18. tomheroes

tomheroes Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    I accidentally found Nectaris Military Madness, a game I loved on the Turbografx. Bought it for $5.00 and a week later it went on sale for a buck.

Wish more Turbografx games would come out. Would love to play Devil's Crush pinball, Bonk's Adventure and a few other games. Think there is a big market for 16 bit and earlier games.

19. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    OMG, I had no idea this was in the app store! :eek::D

Seriously, I also had that on my Lynx, good game. I'll have to take a look at the iOS version. Now I'm also wondering if Chip's Challenge is on the app store... :confused: