Riven: Sequel to Myst coming

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dalurkersteve, May 7, 2009.

1. dalurkersteve

dalurkersteve Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Hey so with the latest release of myst for the iPhone I was curious if anyone had an update on Riven. I heard it was being developed for idevices and was wondering if anyone had updates on it (release date, news, etc...) thanks, Steve

2. Xander

Xander Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    They're probably waiting to see how successful myst is

3. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    its already QUITE succesfull;)

4. Kita

Kita Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Boston
    I'm really tempted to buy myst for the iphone, but I'm not very good at logic puzzle games (I can never beat zelda without a walkthrough) and didn't have the patience to play it on the pc. But maybe a portable version would make things a bit more convenient for me to play.

BTW, isn't riven at least 3-4 times bigger than myst? I can imagine how big that game would be for the iphone and touch platforms!!

5. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

May 2, 2009
    Riven was originally on 5 (or 6?) CDs. But the entire game is essentially just a series of pictures, a few short video clips and some ambient music.

With all the money they're clearly going to make on Myst, I hope they can find some way to shrink Riven down to a fraction of its former size without losing any content.

It HAS to be possible. Right?

Right?

6. Kita

Kita Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Boston
    Myst is 650 megs on the pc, and riven is 2 gigs. I suppose they could just release a 2 gig game :) I just hope they don't release the game buggy because it will be a pain to update!

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Hehe, I'm quite sure they wont realease a 2 gig game :) They'll probably save a lot of space because of lower resolution pictures, lower color precision and sound compression. I just hope they do not cut away gameplay.

8. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    #8 Cougarcat, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    Riven: Sequel to Myst coming

It sure looks like it:

From the Uru Live forums.

In case anyone was wondering, Uru Live (rereleased today, but the servers are swamped) was a short-lived adventure MMO (not really an MMO, more like an adventure game with community features) where you explore ages and the Dn'i cavern, and solve puzzles with friends. If you played Myst on the iPhone and enjoyed it, I'd definitely recommend taking a look at Uru when it gets back up--it's free! (Puzzles are a LOT harder, though.)

9. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    wow nice.. i had raven on pc.. loooooong time ago

10. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Two words: Kick. Ass.

11. #11 Tocarina, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  12. madsoul

madsoul Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Riven, Exile and 7th Guest is the best first person point and click adventures ever made. Cant wait for this! Was over 8 years since i played this.

13. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    This is such awesome news. I love Myst, I love Myst III: Exile, I love Uru: Ages Beyond Myst... and I've never gotten the chance to play Riven :D

14. I wish there were news on this. Still looking forward to it...

15. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    Wow awsome, riven was one of the most challenging of myst games imo... so freakin hard lol...the game was 5-7 cds on pc back in the day wow gonna be a big game alot of FMV

16. nulo

nulo Well-Known Member

i remember when i got riven for the playstation! that cd-case with 379 cds indise hahaha
    awesome!

17. tomcatguy74

tomcatguy74 Member

May 10, 2009
    Has there been any word on whether Riven is still coming?

18. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I remember a post saying that it'd be out around late-ish summer sometime

19. darrinsden

darrinsden Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    #20 darrinsden, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    From reading on the myst forums, it seems that the game has reached gold master, and is due to be submitted tomorrow
    So expect a release 10 or so days later

They said that it would take 2 gigs of free space to install
    No retina support and no iPad version as of yet

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:12 am — Post subject:

Chogon wrote:
    It is very very close!

We have a GoldMaster build that the testers are testing as I type. If there are no show stoppers, we should be able to make the submittal to Apple on Friday! (and then it is about 10 days after that before it reaches the AppStore).

In this version of the Riven app, there is nothing specific done for the retina display. However, the images are in the original 608 by 392 size that is re-fitted by the iOS to 480 by 320. So, on retina displays it does look slightly better because the iOS does take advantage of that.
    Riven HD: We haven't start looking at that yet, so I don't know yet.
    Riven Universal App: To have both sets of assets would make the app too large but we haven't started looking at that yet, so the real answer is: Idont know

Riven is multi-task aware and you can very quickly switch between Riven and Notes and back to Riven and then quickly switch to Photos where you can have screen shots saved (using the iOS method while playing Riven of holding the Home button down while clicking the sleep button on the top). So, there is no need to have an internal journal - the iOS provides all that!

Thanks,
    Chogon

And with Shake-A-Hint:

The hints will come on if you shake the device or if you set 'Hints on Idle' to be something other than 'never'. After the hints are displayed they will slowly fade to barely visible.

--Chogon