iPad Exclusive Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by krisko6, Aug 31, 2012.

1. krisko6

krisko6 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    College Student, Intern at an engineering company.
    Bakersfield, CA
    I've noticed that for the past year or so, there has been a steady increase in the number of iPad exclusive games. Some recent examples include Incoboto, Gasketball, all of Cipher Prime's games, SpaceChem, Uplink, Aquaria, and Bastion. With these exclusives, do you think that developers will begin to ignore smaller iDevices entirely, even if the games would be perfectly feasible on them? Is an iPad becoming the most desirable iDevice for gaming purposes? If you could have any iPad exclusive on your iPod or iPhone, what would it be?

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Doubt there'll be to many iPad exclusives in the future. Devs are excluding a massive install base, and most games work fine on an iPhone and itouch anyway.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree. Theres been a few exceptions but not many, i wouldnt say its a common practice.

To be fair Baldurs Gate is meant to be ipad only, i can see why with so many icons etc but quite often all the big name games are universal as otherwise as JBRUU says they'll be excluding a huge userbase

4. Mutant Storm is one of the best ipad only games on ios. I only play games on my new ipad, so I hope that there are more games made for it. I know nowadays, I never buy iphone only games anymore, so hopefully developers will try to make more games for the ipad. Would love to see a Ultima type game on my new ipad someday. Or Robotron dual stick shooter. Or hopefully EA will come out with NHL 2013 for the ipad. Or a starcraft game.

With the extra real estate, games really rock on the new ipad!

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Games like Bastion and Baldur's Gate EE is iPad only for obvious reasons, they demand too much processor juice and can't really fit on a small iPhone screen.
    I find it strange that there's so many on these forums all but demanding Bastion on their iPhones, even though it should be pretty obvious why it won't happen. (probably). :)

As far as I remember there used to be more iPad only releases when I got my first iPad. I think the Devs were testing the marked.
    Most games now is universal.

Personally I almost never use my phone for games anymore, the iPad is just so much better suited for games IMO.
    I sold my iPad 1 to buy iPad 2, and ended up buying the new iPad in addition to iPad 2 which I can't bring myself to sell.. :)

My desktop pc is collecting dust in my bedroom and my Xbox 360 hasn't been in use since I finished Skyrim...

I use my iPad for almost everything I used to do on my pc now, including posting here.

I'm counting the days 'till Baldur's Gate is released, I really look forward to playing that game again, and still have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that I'm gonna play it on the iPad. :D

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    To be fair the 4s could run Bastion, it isn't a question of processing power but of screen space.

7. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well, that's true, it probably could, but as you say, screen real estate is just not sufficient for a game like this on any iPhone.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I'm glad that WB took the high road and put quality of gameplay and experience over profit. Though it's certainly going to be playable on an iPhone (trust me, one you get used to it that small screen does work) but its just not going to feel the same as on an iPad.

9. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It could be you're right in regards to Bastion, maybe I'm wrong and it is feasible to make it work on the iPhone, at least the iPhone 4s, so I could have chosen a better example than that maybe.. :)

Other games, like Baldur's Gate would be unplayable on the small screen though.

10. Just finished Band Together which is a great ipad only puzzle platform game. It is a lot of fun!

11. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    But the thing is World of Goo was also orginally iPad and then they made it for the iPhone.

It works...but no where near as good as the iPad.

Wished they actually just kept it iPad exclusive.

Another example is Starfront Collision...RTS on an iPhone is just way to small.

12. jtfields

jtfields Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Could price have anything to do with it? Freemium games excluded, it seems $1.99 or $2.99 seem to be the norm for iPad games whereas $0.99 seems to be the price point for most iPhone games.

13. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    They would obviously make it universal...

The reason is...iPhone's small screen just wont work well with Bastion's gameplay.

14. jtfields

jtfields Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I wasn't referring to Bastion, I just meant in general. There are plenty of games that aren't universal.

15. DigitalB33R

Apr 10, 2010
    Oh I see what you mean...

I guess devs could do the iphone only version and then an universal version (Anomaly Warzone, Sword and Sorcery, etc.)