How Iphone 4 Resolution affects games

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by touchDev192, Jun 20, 2010.

1. touchDev192

touchDev192 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Hey!

I was just wondering if, or how much this much higher resolution of the new iphone will affect the look of games created for the older models, with lower resolution graphics. I'm guessing it won't actually affect the looks, but will simply look a lot better with higher res graphics?

So I'm also kind of curious if making our games with higher resolution graphics will prevent them from working on the earlier models... and if so then how many developers are going to be doing this? or is it more likely that we'll see several versions of each game for the different models?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!! lol :D

2. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    #2 MrBlue, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Check out the apple dev site. It's under "What's new" in iOS 4.0. There's a whole section dedicated to this.

[edit]
    btw, iOS 4.0 is still under NDA. The best place to discuss and find info on this type of stuff is on the apple site.

3. hoverX

hoverX New Member

May 18, 2010
    could anyone link to this directly? i'd like to know the answer to this as well but couldn't find anything on Apple's site.

4. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    248pm in India...
    Itz coming out today... just wait :rolleyes:

5. touchDev192

touchDev192 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Developer
    UK
    Thanks MrBlue, I found it on the apple dev site! that was just what I wanted to know! and hoverX, just go to the iphone sdk 4.0 section, and like MrBlue said, its under the 'What's New" section.

6. crescentia2010

crescentia2010 Well-Known Member

I have not ordered the phone yet, but I did finish adding support for iOS 4 in my game, Peppers The Game, and so far in the simulator the graphics still look good. My game is a universal application, but I did not upscale for the iPhone 4. I do have upscaled graphics for the iPad, but they would be too big for the iPhone 4. I will wait till I see the game on the real device then decide what to do if not satisfied.

7. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    #7 Puzbox, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Hi,

I can safely answer this without breaching the NDA as it's an opengl-related question.

In OpenGL, you have basically a designated screen area, in this case on the iPhone it is defined in opengl to be 480x320 (landscape) and 320x480 (portrait).

For a higher resolution display (let me call it the iPad for the sake of the NDA) we simply create our buffer (area) at a higher resolution.

It's really no different to making a pc or mac game that uses full screen... Which means even if you do get a polygon game, the pixels will still be "large" unless the developer has put work into supporting multiple resolutions.

This is for 3D (including 2D games which use 3D rendering techniques such as quads). The os 4.0 has more features regarding resolution but I cannot disclose these until the NDA is lifted.

To answer your question:

Custom 3D games will most likely not look any better on the iPhone 4.0 launch without an update :)

8. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    I think the idea of high-res games on iPhone 4 is interesting, but I really feel like it'd be better to have 4x battery life or 4x performance than 4x resolution for a game.

9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I see your point. I suppose it depends on the game for me. If it's a game with really gorgeous graphics / artwork, especially a strategy game with small sprites, I would really like that higher resolution. But when it's just one of those cheap and simple pick-up-and-play games, I can see why it isn't that much of a benefit.

10. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    I think you dont get better games at higher res at that size screen display unless its a strategy game or text driven where the extra fidelity really pays off re: screen real estate.

When you have a shooter or whatever, sure it'll be clearer - but you're not gaining a better game really and if its fast moving, its likely you dont really notice what you are missing.

I think I would use the higher res if it was a cerebral or well-presented slower paced affair...

11. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Won't make a heck of a lot of diference to text based games imho - the last thing you want to do is make text tiny and strain peoples eyes .... if the screen was larger then yes I think it'd increase peoples options - but with a same size but higher fidelity screen you just get slightly tidier rendering same as for other genre's really.

12. manyax111

manyax111 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    So some games have been updated for iphone 4 resolution but i was wondering will that resolution change affect the older generation iphone/ipod touches ? like lag or something ?