Modern Combat 2 VS. NOVA 2

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iPodChallenger, Dec 22, 2010.

?

wich is better?

1. N.O.V.A 2

44.8%
  2. Modern Combat 2: Black Peaguses

55.2%
  1. iPodChallenger

iPodChallenger Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    skate patrole (puplic skating safty dude)
    ontario, canada
    which is better?

i have been playing both series since both of their initial launches last year, and i have spent allot of lonely nights playing them ;)

i personally think they are both the 2 best games for iphone (FPS's at least) and cant decide wich is better.

so in terms of the games:

single player: NOVA 2
    multi-player: Modern Combat 2
    graphics: equal, they both look amazing
    sounds: EXTREMELY CLOSE, but guns goes to nova and voice acting is modern combat
    story: modern combat
    controls: modern combat

to me i think modern combat is slightly better,mainly because i find nova hard to control (without a gyroscope) so i personnaly prefer modern combat, also because i like the modern war theme better then sci-fi

but thats just my opinion, you tell me you'r opinions!

2. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I like military shooters better than sci-fi, but I didn't really like mc2. The campaign started off great, dropped near the middle, and by the end I was dragging myself through it. The multiplayer didn't have the addictive quality Archetype has for me and so I deleted it. I'm picking up NOVA 2 on saturday, so I hope it's better.

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Modern Combat 2: Black Peaguses > N.O.V.A. 2

enough said.

4. NOVA2's menus are very ugly and archaic compared to MC2's IMO, so I still prefer MC2 overall. I do like NOVA2's multiplayer modes more though.

5. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    You might as well have just asked COD versus Halo. Most people will pick COD. Which isn't to say that Halo is bad. People just believe that COD is better.

Pretty much the same thing likely applies here.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    single player: nova 2
    multi-player: nova 2
    graphics: same
    sounds: same
    story: modern combat
    controls: nova 2, you can facking jump.

But man, I like sci-fi shooters a lot better, and I'm definitely a hell of a lot better at nova 2 online. It's been a while since I've lost game on a nova 2 with a ratio of nearly 2.5 and I'm only rank 40..on MC2 my ratio is below 0.8..

7. paulm12

paulm12 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    school
    ummm Cali
    MC2. Nova2 was good, but it didn't revolutionize the iFPS market the way MC:BP did. MC:2 looked better generally, and while NOVA 2 had some pretty crazy visual effects, (rivers, plasma cylinders, etc) its much harder to model human characters' mouths and movements. Plus on retina, NOVA 2 slowed down quite a bit when lot of stuff went on. I felt that more thought and effort was put into MC2, especially its campaign. The campaign on NOVA2 ended very abruptly and seemed half as long as MC:2 BP. Some would argue that the story was better on NOVA2, but I thought the ending was pretty damn poor and unsatisfying. Nova 2 has better multilayer modes, though, and more maps. I still enjoy MC:BP's multiplayer better however, I can't really put my finger on why. It seemed a bit more tactical and console-like. As dumaz1000 mentioned, however, it does come down to mainly personal preference. Ask yourself this, though: If NOVA2 came out before MC:BP, would it change your idea at all?

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This is an excellent post and I find it completely true although I prefer nova 2 by far. MC2 truly did change how a fps on the iOS should be viewed.

9. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010

+2; well said.

My vote went for MC2 - completely revolutionized and set the bar high for the way online games should be on the iPhone.

10. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    I hate that in nova 2 you can't zoom or aim down, it's too fast paced for me. It takes almost no skill to run around shooting. No offence to some ppl. But to me MC 2 is better in multiplayer. I haven even gotten half way through in the campaigns yet

11. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    They are both GREAT titles.

It doesn't have to be cut and dry, or one being better than the other.

One is an awesome military shooter, the other is an awesome sci fi shooter.

I will say this:

Nova 2, has a more varied and action packed single player campaign, as well as better graphics.

Modern Combat 2, has a way better laid out menu system and multiplayer hub. As well as, the ability to aim down the sight of your weapon.

I really enjoy both games immensely.

I prefer the campaign of Nova 2, yet, I prefer the multiplayer of Modern Combat 2.

Now, if someone can help me understand Nova 2 multiplayer? I don't understand. It seems sloppy in the menu matchup system...are the opposing team names in red? I just feel so lost, where as in MC2 multi, I am pretty good and it's easier for me to understand what I'm supposed to do.

12. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Modern Combat 2.

13. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I like military shooters more but for some reason MC 2 sort of dissapointed me. I thought it would surpass the original but it sadly didn't. As for Nova 2, I expected it to be my 2nd favorite Gameloft game of all time behind the original NOVA, but it ended up tieing it. Very polished gameplay and great controls makes my vote go to NOVA 2!:D

14. 7urismo

7urismo Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Do you think that it's too late to purchase Modern combat 2? Since its almost 2011 it may be time for the next game in the modern combat series.

15. g-unit-14

g-unit-14 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    I dont have nova2 but i can say MC2 BEst game ever made on iphone !!!
    Nova 2 is like for kids its not real fake guns and robots and that kind of thinks and i hate that that why i didnt buy it!!

16. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Modern Combat's online play is much better... IMO.

17. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think Nova 2 is the better single player game but it's quite close and modern combat 2 is probably better multiplayer. I think Nova 2 has the graphics advantage though but again you could argue it's very close.

Buy them both if you like FPS is my opinion.

18. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I agree with that.

NOVA 2 has a better singleplayer campaign.

Modern Combat 2 is better for multiplayer.

NOVA 2 generally has better graphics.

They are both great games, and in my opinion they are by far the best FPS games currently on the App Store.
    I haven't voted in the poll because I really can't decide between them.

19. ipodtouchgamer4

Dec 19, 2010
    Nova 2!

Once you get into NOVA 2 multiplayer, it's AMAZING. People may not realize it, but it revolutionized gaming on the iPhone. It's so fun, and pretty easy too. I'm already a level 70, and the iPod touch is my first real gaming system, so i've never been that good at games before, but I have played Halo and MW2 and Black Ops a lot, and I have to say that NOVA 2 multiplayer is more addictive. I could care less about the campaign, (for both MC2 and this), but i've heard it's good anyways. But I have played NOVA 2 multiplayer for at least 30 hours total, and I love leveling up and i'm about to evolve today! MC2 is amazing, but it has too much of a fanbase and really cocky ppl... but I think the NOVA 2 multiplayer is almost unflawed, except that it should show how many matches you've won instead of your k/d, cuz I think that shows more skill, cuz i've placed first in about 3/4 of all my matches, and yet my k/d isn't that great cuz I take risks to get kills... but yeah, NOVA 2 definitely wins, and it's a blast!!! (Even for a once-newb, like me! LOL)

20. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    On the iPad, NOVA2 is very polished so my vote goes to it even though I had more hours with Black Pegasus HD.