my Travel Assistant - featured since it appeared!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Carlos, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Hi,

just wondering whether this is normal: our app, "my Travel Assistant" has been featured by Apple in iTunes (desktop version) since it's appearance in December.
    That means slightly more than 3 months, amd we are still in the What's Hot listing for Productivity apps:
    [​IMG]
    Any similar experience? Can we expect to be featured on the iPhone as well?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    one has nothing todo with the other

and being featured doesnt mean being featured.. sounds odd.. right..

if you are being featured in a subcategorie within or outside of the appstore (for example itunes)

thats usualy worth nothing.. the "important" features are on the app store of the specific device

3. dug

dug Member

Sep 8, 2010
    My experience pretty much matches what Mr. Ugly has to say. Features and "What's Hot" in categories and subcategories are a lot more useful for the small minority of users looking for a particular type of app than they are for developers.

Neutron Capture has been featured and "what's hot" in it's subcategory in one country store or another since it released, without much result. A mention on a web site with decent traffic had a much bigger impact than being featured.

These sections provide a very useful service (I frequently look at Strategy and Board features and "what's hot" lists to find new games) but they're not on the devices' App Store apps, which means most users never see them.