I (almost) finished my game. And now?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Yipikayei, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Yipikayei

Yipikayei Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Hi TA guys!

Well, I almost finished my first game, but I don't know what are the next steps. Does sending the game to the reviewers? Does sending it to the apple store revision? Have the game web page before the release?...

My main doubt is especially with the order. First send reviewers or apple submission? Same time? Are there other steps before...after??

Thx in advance.

2. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I didn't fully understand your post. I think you're asking about preparing a website before or after sending an app to Apple for review. Additionally, you seem to be wondering when an app should be sent out for review to app review websites.

I usually don't have a website ready before sending an app out for review. That's because it's going to be about a week of waiting. I can simply get things started with Apple reviewing my app, then I can add/update webpages later. But since a website is required for the listing, I usually use one of two placeholder links...

http://photics.com
    http://photics.com/contact

As for sending the app out to review websites, that can be done before or after Apple's review. I usually wait until the game is approved, then I can send out a bunch of promo codes. But to build hype, AdHoc versions of the App could be sent out to review sites for previews or exclusive launch-day reviews.

It can be tricky linking everything up.

3. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well the first thing I would do is consider the marketing.

• What sort of people would play my game?
    • What sites do they visit?
    • How can they find me?
    • How credible am I?
    • Who do I know in the industry that can help me get a leg up?
    • Who are my competitors?
    • What do they do to market their games?
    • What don't do they do to market their games?

You need a plan, and if you're not spending at least half of the time you spend on development on marketing (which is still VERY low) you are going to have issues.

Of course you will need a website, and perhaps a Twitter account. You need to have some credibility before you can really make an impact and earn some cash.

Plus credibility will help you get through the filters when talking to review sites and people in the industry that can help you get known.

Once you have all of those things sorted
    • Get your app reviewed by as many sites as possible
    • Time your release date to coincide with these reviews being posted
    • Make sure you have an ongoing marketing plan after release

Did I mention marketing? Yeah, it's like the most important part!! Get some one to help you if this is not your forte.

Also, for review sites check out this list. It will help you focus your efforts on the more popular review sites (the lower the number the better).
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=94861&highlight=review+site+alexa

Good luck!

4. Yipikayei

Yipikayei Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Thx all for answer.

@Luke Kellett very helpful your answer.

So, I'm going to send the game this week to apple submission, to get the promocodes and send them to the reviewers.

5. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Good luck and make sure you post up here so we get a look too!

6. MoboTap

MoboTap Active Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Or you can ask reviewers to beta test your game by adding their idevice UDID before submission to Apple.