Devlopers please read

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by bramblett05, Dec 19, 2012.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I know this is the holiday rush so this is more to earlier games but also to newer.

Please state which iPod/iPhone/iPad your game works on if it says touch 4 and people get it and it doesn't work well then its not supported so please state which it can play on in the future. I speak for people who got doped into false advertising.

I know this might come off strong and yes maybe if I update ill gladly play it and so others but if it don't work for what people have then list better like how lili and others.

Thank you to the devlopers who read this

2. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Read it twice, still don't get it.

3. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Sorry if it don't make since but I recently bought a game and said it worked for iPod touch 4 and the devlopers said it did as well but graphics weren't as impressive. Loaded it up and can't play the game at all it crashes all the time. If it doesn't work for something can't you block it for the ones it can't work on?

4. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    I think he's talking about when developers say 'compatible with iPod, iPhone and iPad' on the app store, when really it only works on iPod 5, iPhone 4 and up and iPad 2 and up, so when people download it with a lower device, it doesn't work, and me, having an iPad 1, knows this is quite irritating. Especially when they feel that sticking it in tiny writing at the bottom of the description is okay, they should just have it at the side with the compatible devices.

5. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Yes and I know apple saying what gets supported is a lie because 3GS is always listed when that is less supported the touch 4.

6. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Developers can only control the text that goes in the description and "what's new" sections (and it's impossible to make any of that text tiny). The compatibility list is generated by the App Store based on info in the app bundle itself.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't allow developers to exclude specific devices via the SDK. They can only target a minimum OS version and request certain device capabilities. Older devices with 256MB of RAM are often technically "compatible" even with the strictest restrictions, but may lack the memory/power to run certain apps properly. I'd hope developers with apps that chug/crash on older devices would mention those limitations in their description - and I've seen many do just that - but sorry, you really can't expect that info to be at the top of a marketing spiel.

That said, if you've purchased an app that doesn't run on your device even after a fresh restart you should contact the developer. If they can't offer a fix then contact Apple and get a refund.