This item is being modified????

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lynx009, Dec 16, 2009.

1. lynx009

lynx009 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Any idea why there are so games in the app store that are "being modified?" This has been happening a lot in the last few days. I understand the lag in implementing prices changes around the world with different app stores, but come on... Has ANYONE her ANYTHING official from Apple?? Is this bug being looked at? fixed? This seems like a public relations nightmare to Apple, or do they simply have too much of our money to care anymore?
    And the developer 24 hour deals (like appvent calender, or the recent anniversary freebie of 7 Cities) would get hit the hardest. Is the developer suppose to risk angering their customer base by offering a deal that NOBODY can access, or simple assume that Apple will NOT fix this issue and not offer any promotions at all. Kinda feels like Apple is saying screw you to its developers AND it's customers.
    If anyone has actually heard anything concrete about this problem , lease reply, as least that we we'll have somewhere to get answers and to vent.

Lynx009

2. Karnith

Karnith Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    The "this item is being modified" is the message that you get when an item in the AppStore is being, as the message suggests, modified. This includes such things as price drops, updates, and maybe even description changes. It's not a bug, it's just the lag between when a developer submits the changes to when the new content actually reaches the AppStore in various parts of the world. It's just a side-effect of having a global system. It's kind of unavoidable, even if the time spent "modifying" the item in question might seem outlandish.

However, the content is usually downloadable within an hour or two. So, unless you have urgent business that only allows you to use the AppStore for a few minutes a day, just wait a little while. You shouldn't miss out on any deals; it's why they usually last at least a day.

3. lynx009

lynx009 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    i dunno, a few of the "modifications have been going on for 12 to 15 hours (so far!!) this seems like its happening at a weird time with the update problems that Apple is going through right now. Maybe they are related??

4. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i havent experienced this problem many times.
    people have said they had problems getting seed for it's decrease to free, but i had no problems

5. Karnith

Karnith Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Just for reference, what time zone are you in? I'm on Eastern Standard Time, and all of the problems with the modification are done within an hour or so for me.

And twelve to fifteen hours does sound like something is wrong. Unfortunately, I'm not really an expert on how iTunes works, so I have no idea where the problem might originate.

6. Nijo

Nijo Well-Known Member

It's a normal occurrence, but it seems worse than average at the moment.

I had an email from somebody in Europe who waited 6 hours for a price drop last night. Other than replying "please wait some more" there was nothing I could do. :(

7. carnivore

carnivore Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    germany
    indeed it is normal, but the time it takes some games to be 'available' again has been horrendous the last few days. when elf was free for appvent, i had to wait 14+ hours...

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    App store has been extra wacky the last couple of days - I've gotten the "modified" message at random it seems, have had entering promo codes dump me back to the home screen, even "the code you entered is not recognized as valid" sometimes (when the same code ends up working 2 attempts later)

Not sure what is up, might have something to do with the change to the new layout (which so far I don't like, too much horizontal scrolling, and you have to click to read the full app descriptions...)

9. Wadey

Wadey Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I'm still waiting for 7 Cities, I've only noticed this problem in the last month or so with the price-drop games. It surely shouldn't take several hours for a price change to populate throughout the world should it ??

10. lynx009

lynx009 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    I'm in Canada, EST. and I've been waiting for Seed, Bombardiers Guild and 7 Cities. I've been trying 7 Cities and Bombardiers Guild since about 10pm last night!!
    Maybe the app store is simply getting overloaded with all the new prices changes and promos recently.
    Of course this doesn't help us at all....

11. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Ya, this really sucks for us developers. I have no idea what is the problem though.

This is what it states in iTunes Connect for editing an app's details (say for changing the price, etc):
    "Make sure that you click the button prior to returning to your iTunes Connect home page after you make changes. Your submitted changes should be reflected on the App Store within 48 hours."

So it looks like they need 48 hours for it to properly propagate? Anyway, we already have a few thousand free downloads, so it looks like it is working for most people.

Sigh.

12. Nijo

Nijo Well-Known Member

You're in Canada? Maybe it's a Canadian thing:

AppStore rank, Games/Strategy:
    US Store: 72
    UK Store: 89
    Canadian Store: 300+

I thought it was down to Canadians not liking me, but maybe you just can't buy it at all!

13. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    nope i've noticed this recentally a lot too in the german store

ps also hate the horizontal scrolling .....way to go apple

14. lynx009

lynx009 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    sigh... this sucks.... (and yes, I'm impatient, but this is becoming unbearable....)
    Ngmoco launched Eliminate here before going global. And they had lots of success with that initial run. You'd this that it would seem that we Canadians has a strong presence in the app community... I hope everything works soon. All I want for christmas is an apology from Apple. HA! never happen.
    I was VERY surprised to get actual responses from actual developers!!

15. lynx009

lynx009 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Actually got Bombardier's Guild to download!! YAHHHH! maybe it's the beginning? or maybe the response from the developer worked, to scare Apple!! either way. Thank you!

16. Nijo

Nijo Well-Known Member

I phoned up Steve and asked him to sort it out. :cool:

17. timo2000

timo2000 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    I think the horizontal scrolling is okay. You don't have to wait for the next image to load which at times wasn't instantaneous even with high speed internet. Plus, with the way the App Store has been slowing down lately I figure everyone might get tired of waiting for anything in the store.

On the otherhand, "This item is being modified" prompt is driving me nuts. When Crusade of Destiny went on sale the other day, I waited almost 7 hours for the download to work. I thought that was ridiculous.