Games for young kids - other parents please help find them!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Hedron Engineer, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Hedron Engineer

Hedron Engineer Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I am a parent. And I like games. My oldest is 2y8mo old and she likes playing Mario Kart Wii, and she actually manages to finish complete laps on some tracks without any help from me. I'm a proud parent # then again, she can also entertain herself for 20 minutes by driving into the water in sherbet snow track and coming out in an ice block ## gaming with kids does take some adjusting...;)

On the iPad we have some games for her. She likes Frog and Friends but not so much because of the game (she just really likes Frog). And we got some puzzle stuff for her. App for Kids they are called I think. We also got a LOT of dross from the App Store. My go-to information source to avoid the dross does not provide me with a kids section (and I get that, don't worry, I'll still back your Patreon).

I figure there must be more parents here. What are good games to check out for this age group? One complicating feature: we're from Holland, so a Dutch language option is pretty much required for any (important) spoken text.

Side note I like paying for stuff/no ads but I do like a trial version/free to try model; I am giving the iPad to a 2y old so ads about war games are kinda unwelcome.

2. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Hey Hedron

I have two girls, aged 5 and 2, so I guess I know where you're coming from. The language thing is a little difficult - I'm half Swedish, so I'm always looking out for Swedish-language games on the UK app store that would be suitable for my kids.

The Peppa Pig games (do you have Peppa Pig in Holland?) seem to have a lot of language settings, and since they have Swedish, I'd be surprised if they didn't also have Dutch. There are a few of them and they're all paid apps, and though they have slightly limited interactivity they were very popular with my eldest when she was about 2-4.

Now she's all over Super Phantom Cat, which is amazing for her but well beyond my two-year-old. Alto's Adventure, too, was brilliant - especially once I unlocked a few of the characters for her. Other than that, you have the classics like Angry Birds, Land Sliders, Doodle Jump...

On a final note, Little Fox Animal Doctor is a lovely app for kids. It's completely text-free, all done with lovely animations, as you play vet to forest animals. Big hit.

3. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    There are not made especially for kids, but are all pretty simple and colourful, and considering she is already playin Mario Kart, they might be worth looking at.

Hugo Troll Race ( endless runner)
    Sonic Racers (like Mario Kart)
    F1 Race Stars (fun colourful racing and free)
    dig2china (endless digger)
    Ski Safari 2 (endless runner/skier but quite forgiving, if you just want lots of things to happen)

Good luck! :)

4. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Any of the Toca Boca games
    Crossy Road

5. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Yes, I second Crossy Road too. Another great choice.

6. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    What a funny question, 95% of Appstore games are for kids, only few games are AAA and hardcore :'''(

7. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    #7 Warriv, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    I'm sure there are a lot of them, but I like "Dragon Shapes - Lumio Geometry Challenge", which is free but has an iap to unlock all the puzzles, and "Lil Smasher", which is quite fun for grown-ups as well:)

Edit: These are probably a bit too hard for a 3 year old, but who knows, maybe she'll enjoy them anyway!

8. eddag

eddag Active Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Head of a small studio
    Warsaw, Poland
    Hi.
    Check out our game it called Majaya.
    maybe you will liked ;)

Unusual aesthetic experience! A novel idea of a logical play based on colour-mixing theory. An absorbing game improving your dexterity skill and spatial intelligence.

http://majaya.pl/

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #9 Nullzone, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Found this thread just now, so I'm a bit late to the party.

@Hedron: We are in the Netherlands too. Our kid is 4.5 years now, but got hold of his first iPod Touch when he was like 3 months old; could screen-swipe before knowing how to turn pages in a book (fun moment: when he tried to do something with a book for the first time, he was quite surprised that swiping doesn't do anything ... but I digress) ;)

We don't pay attention to the languages of apps for him, as we are a tri-lingual family with Dutch, English and German (but now that I can speak Dutch too, it is our primary language. We spoke English before, as I couldn't speak Dutch and my girlfriend speaks almost no German). A lot of his apps are in English only. And he doesn't mind at all, e.g. he's perfectly fine with watching cartoons in Korean or Russian, too.
    But most apps made for children work with "show, not tell" and almost never rely on text.

Now, what can I recommend?
    Without checking his iPad for specific games:
    All the Toca Boca apps are great, definitely made for kids.

Same goes for anything from "Fox and Sheep Games", like the Little Fox Animal Doctor OrangUtan recommended:
    We have quite a few of those. He loved the Music Box app till he turned 3 or so. They also have at least two nice ones for going to sleep - "Nighty Night": one with a circus, the other with a farm; in both you put the animals to bed.
    To top it off, Little Fox games have the biggest language selection I know: Dutch, German, Japanese, reverse Klingon... just kidding on the last one :)

Sago Mini has good kid apps as well.
    When he was younger, his favorite was the one where you fly a bird around the forest, and make him do all kinds of fun stuff like singing or dancing.
    One of his recent favorites was Sago Mini Monsters, where you can build your own monster-heads. He found it funny, not scary; but better take a look yourself first.

Then we have a few Lego apps:
    "Speedorz" is a Lego Chima racer, second one I think "Lego City" (a bit complicated still for a 4-year old); and "Lego Juniors" where you just drive funny Lego cars along a one-way road (really simple controls, maybe too simple already for your Mario Kart champion :) ).

Other games our little one likes:
    - Prune: tree-shaping is fun, it seems.
    - Lunar Flowers, Beautiful Dream: I played those, and for a while he was interested too; mainly for the good-looking and different visuals, I think.
    - Plum Nut: cute little character runs through 3 areas (christmas themed, a kitchen, and a house), collecting notes for the Nutcracker song. It has rats and spiders in the last area, plus a f-huge Rat King which might be scary for your kid.
    - Nimian Legends Brightridge (now in HD): Also by Protopop, just like Plum Nut. It's a pure exploration game, set in an absolutely gorgeous landscape. Our kid loves to run - and fly, changing into a dragon is great - around and just look at the fantastic surroundings. Anecdote: there is a giant whale swimming somewhere in the sea. Once he came by when I was near the whale, he saw it and made me swim after it for almost half an hour :)
    - Devouring Stars: too complicated for younger kids, but who cares when you have cool visuals and can make daddy do all the work for you...
    - And of course anything daddy plays :p this weekend, he discovered Space Hulk.

@OrangutanKungfu: Yes, we do have Peppa Pig here in Cheeseland ;)

10. SunMarina

SunMarina Member

Aug 24, 2017
    Great thread. It's a pitty, I discovered it just today... To be honest I enjoy more playing Toca Boca games myself than my kid :D He is addicted to racing games by Tiny Lab Productions. He mostly plays: Automatrons: Shoot and Drive, Jungle Motocross Extreme Racing or Western Train Driving Race.

Would be great if anybody could recommend more games for 5 year boy. Thanks!

11. wenix

wenix Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Game42 (a collection of 9 mini board games) can be a good choice for the kids. The game has single-player mode (playing against the robot) and two-player mode (2 players on the same device - this is also ideal for parents playing with their kids).

You can search for "Game42" on App Store or find it in my signature below (I'm the developer of this game).

Hope it's helpful :)

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My 3-yr-young son finished 2 Lego Batman games. I helped him with a few puzzles and bossfights, but he figured most things out on his own. He also enjoys every goat simulator title, but he usually prefers everything except the Zombie one. Two of his favorite games as well, are Kid Tripp and Miles and Kylo, even my 1-yr-young son likes Kid Tripp. The little one enjoys Thomas Go (a thomas the train game) and Fruit Ninja in zen mode too. Of course Tocaboca are staples for both of them as well as the Paw Patrol runner game (no game overs).

13. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Mikey Shorts is the most kid friendly platformer I can think of - you can't fail, only improve.

Super Cat Tales is something to grow into - totally kid friendly in theme and content, but perhaps a bit much of a challenge for a two year old.