Prototype testing?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by helioxfilm, Mar 16, 2011.

1. helioxfilm

helioxfilm Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    #1 helioxfilm, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
    Hi,

As many of you, I'm in the making of an upcoming iPad game, a casual type, for all ages. We will complete the next prototype very soon, and I started to think whether it would be useful to ask your help in form of prototype-testing to identify control, design, concept etc shortages at an early stage.

No fancy things, just the core game mechanics with preliminary, prototype art and animation.

Would someone be interested in it? Does it worth the effort in such an early stage to test it? In my opinion, yes, but since I'm new in this field, I rely on your experience.

Best,
    Gyula

Of course, if someone would like to test, just PM me.

2. Mongo_A

Mongo_A Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Hi there. I'm relatively new to the iOS development world, and I found alpha and beta testing to be really critical to my game design. I started testing by finding friends/family that are in my target age range/target market. They then kept providing me feedback throughout the build. I was able to find game mechanics that I thought would be fun, but turned out to be quite boring for most others, so in the next iteration, I changed it and tested again.

If you can't get testers close to you, then I would suggest you sign up for an account on testflightapp.com. It is a pretty slick service to distribute your beta. Problem is that there are very few people that will give you any sort of real constructive feedback unless you really pry it out of them. Most of them say, "oh it is great!", but that really isn't a good indication of how the market will respond.

3. helioxfilm

helioxfilm Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    My intention is also to test with friends and colleagues in the first round. Thanks for the testflightapp.com, I will check it.